SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 29, 2007, 09:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Build Log
Great Planes Seawind - Electric Conversion

The finished project will appear as a review here in RCGroups, but I thought you might like a preview as the build goes along. I'll be using the new Rimfire 50-55-500kV brushless outrunner motor, a Castle Creations Phoenix 80 ESC, and a 6S1P 3200 mAh 20C Lipo battery pack. Guidance will be provided through a Spektrum DX7 radio system.
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Best wishes for your electric conversion. It's a beautiful waterbird.
Here's a video link of Vern Leets' glow version, which has had 2,712 viewers since it was posted 8 months ago.

Seawind & Vern Leets (3 min 54 sec)

I've been hoping someone would do the electric install, hope the video with Vern's comments will help. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Thanks,
Don (strictly an E-power flyer)
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Last edited by donjiskra; Apr 30, 2007 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo corrected
Old Apr 30, 2007, 08:32 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Don,
Thanks for the link. The Seawind has to be one of the best looking water birds to ever take to the sky. I've been waiting a while for Great Planes to get their larger Rimfire outrunners perfected so we could do this review. I like their new motor mount system for the rimfire motors. I'll post some pics later today on the motor install.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Here is the motor and new mount system. I had to trim 1" off the firewall mount piece and 1/2" off the motor mount piece to get the proper 2-3/4" spacing.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 04:50 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Mike,
That's a perfect mount!!
What size motor are you going to use?
Don
Old May 01, 2007, 06:30 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
I'm using the Electrifly Rimfire 50-55-500kV Brushless outrunner motor from Great Planes.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWV7&P=6
I'll be using a 6S1P pack and at 50 amps should get about 1000 watts of power. If I can keep the weight down to about 10 lbs, I should have 100 watts/lb. That should fly pretty well!
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 09:54 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Sounds perfect!!!
Right combinationn for it.
Don
Old May 01, 2007, 11:18 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Here's the ESC mounted in the airflow. Main ESC power leads are routed down the front of the pylon and the ESC servo lead, with the red power lead folded back, goes in the throttle servo tube.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2007, 07:03 AM
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Would be very interested to hear/see flight report on your E conversion. I like others here have been waiting to see a conversion on this beautiful aircraft. Will be waiting.
Rnkeng is offline Find More Posts by Rnkeng
Old May 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I've finished hinging all the surfaces and I've installed the servos in the hull. I'll post some pics and discuss those problems this next week.

One of the challenges of the e-conversion is locating the proper CG. The CG given in the manual is for a gasser with an empty tank. On a gasser, as you fuel up and get ready to fly, you move the CG rearward a considerable amount due to the tank location. The CG given in the manual is then the most "nose heavy" location. We should be able to move the e-conversion CG back to an equivalent 3/4 full gasser point and have a properly balanced plane. More on this later.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2007, 05:54 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I would set the CG at the "half tank full" position , cause thats 'half the weight' between full and empty
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:09 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
That's probably a good conserative suggestion. Someone once said that nose heavy airplanes fly poorly & tail heavy airplanes fly once. I usually judge the balance by flying inverted and seeing how much "down" elevator it takes to keep the plane flying level. If no elevator correction is needed for inverted flight, the CG is just right. If "up" elevator is needed, the plane is tail heavy. I'll start at the 1/2 full point and adjust the CG by flying until I get it right. I can easily move the battery packs to change the CG. I'll post my results here and in the Review.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2007, 06:59 PM
Omphaloskeptic
Joined Feb 2005
930 Posts
I did my electric conversion with an E-Flite Power 60
Castle Creations Pheonix 80
Polyquest 20C 3700mA 4 cell
Polyquest 20C 3700mA 3 cell in series
12 1/2 X 8 three blade prop

Off the field
On water

I do need to learn a thing or two about flying on water.
SaulOhio is offline Find More Posts by SaulOhio
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:52 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Looks like you had plenty of power with that setup. Have you tried using flaps on your water takeoffs? Looks like easing in the throttle on water takeoffs made for a smoother takeoff. Where did you set your CG?
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
That's probably a good conserative suggestion. Someone once said that nose heavy airplanes fly poorly & tail heavy airplanes fly once. I usually judge the balance by flying inverted and seeing how much "down" elevator it takes to keep the plane flying level. If no elevator correction is needed for inverted flight, the CG is just right. If "up" elevator is needed, the plane is tail heavy. I'll start at the 1/2 full point and adjust the CG by flying until I get it right. I can easily move the battery packs to change the CG. I'll post my results here and in the Review.
Mike McD
that depends on how much decalage there is , this is fine if your talking about a fully symetrical wing section with the tail set at zero , I just move it back gradually till the elevator response is a bit touchy then move it back forward a bit
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE