HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:01 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Will 8X720 NiMh Work On a GWS Pico Stick?

Will 8X720 AAA NiMh Work On a GWS Pico Stick?

Are they too heavy?

If you don't keep the throttle full balst will teh motor last?

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:04 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
The 8 cell 720 should work fine. I would just recommend some throttle management and a heatsink. I use the maxell 700mah packs with 8 cells in all my gws foamies. Have had great luck with them. I get between 100 and 200 flights on a motor. For some reason, the older black endcapped motors seem to last longer for me with exact same power.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:05 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: Will 8X720 NiMh Work On a GWS Pico Stick?

Quote:
Originally posted by vkmaynard
Will 8X720 AAA NiMh Work On a GWS Pico Stick?

Are they too heavy?

If you don't keep the throttle full balst will teh motor last?

Victor
Victor,
Too much voltage and too heavy a pack! 7- 300NiMH or 370NiMH are the most weight you should hang on the sucker! Motor life will be shortened if you go with the 8 pack!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:18 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
Boomer, the 700 mah maxells weigh in at about 3.5 ounces for 8-cell pack with wrap and connector. The lite stik will easily handle that with just the simple wing reinforcement that everyone recommends anyway. Heatsink is a must and I limit flights to about 10 minutes to let motor cool. Some throttle management is in order with the larger packs but they can work fine. I have 2 lite stiks, 1 lite stik fd, 1 tigermoth and 1 cub fd and fly 700mah packs in them all. 6 cells work ok, 7 cells are better but I prefer 8 cells.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:28 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattk17
Boomer, the 700 mah maxells weigh in at about 3.5 ounces for 8-cell pack with wrap and connector. The lite stik will easily handle that with just the simple wing reinforcement that everyone recommends anyway. Heatsink is a must and I limit flights to about 10 minutes to let motor cool. Some throttle management is in order with the larger packs but they can work fine. I have 2 lite stiks, 1 lite stik fd, 1 tigermoth and 1 cub fd and fly 700mah packs in them all. 6 cells work ok, 7 cells are better but I prefer 8 cells.
That's fine but he was asking about the 720's! You are adding weight the plane could do without! You put enough power on a brick you can get it off the ground.... but it doesn't fly very well!
boomer
Old Oct 22, 2002, 03:13 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
The 720's are better suited to the Slow Stik. Remember that lighter is better!!!!!!!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 22, 2002, 03:59 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I did purchase a heat sink in advance.

What wing reinforcement is "everyone" recomemnding?

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Oct 22, 2002, 04:06 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vkmaynard
Thanks for the info.

I did purchase a heat sink in advance.

What wing reinforcement is "everyone" recomemnding?

Victor
1/8 " hardwood dowel or smaller .07 or so Carbon rod either epoxied or foam safe CAed to the LE of the wing full length or in the center of the wing cord. I prefer the LE (leading edge) and wrapped with 2" clear packing tape because it makes the front of the wing damage proof if you hit something! (and you will)
boomer
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:02 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
Just to muddy the waters, I fly 8 cell 720 nimhs on the lite stick, TM, and a couple of other foamies about the same size. BUT I use the twin IPS motor. 8 720's on a single IPS motor is a little much. I agree that it will definitely shorten motor life. It would be decidedly worse on 8 cell nicads.

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:12 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DEPENDS
Just to muddy the waters, I fly 8 cell 720 nimhs on the lite stick, TM, and a couple of other foamies about the same size. BUT I use the twin IPS motor. 8 720's on a single IPS motor is a little much. I agree that it will definitely shorten motor life. It would be decidedly worse on 8 cell nicads.

JT
It doen't muddy the water! You can fly with any weight the plane will carry. As you reach the limits of it's ability to cope with the extra weight it become less responsive, has a higher sink rate (won't float in for landings) and flys faster! Not necessarily great atributes for a newbes first airplane!
boomer
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:39 PM
Idaho
Joined May 2002
1,067 Posts
Boomer,
Wasn't aware we were talking about a first plane for the uninitiated. Dead right that too much weight makes life difficult. That's why I went to the twin motor. I wanted the plane to fly with a little authority, but I wasn't completely green either. I was quite happy with an IPS on qualcoms when I first started. What was the question?

JT
DEPENDS is offline Find More Posts by DEPENDS
Old Oct 22, 2002, 07:54 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
Boomer,
when I talk about the sanyo 720 or the maxell 700 mah nimh cells, i see them as the same. They are both AAA size. Some say the sanyos can give out a bit more amps and I believe the maxells are a bit lighter but close enough that I see them as the same.

The stock gws 270 nicad pack weighs 2.7 ounces. A 6 cell pack of the 700 maxells weighs 2.6 ounces. As I mentioned earlier, the 8 cell pack weighs 3.5 ounces. Not really that much weight gain at 8 cells and lighter than the 270 nicad at 6 cells. Either one flies my lite stik nicely.

Victor,
Here is a shot of some battery packs and weights.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:24 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The Stiks can clearly handle the extra weight, but just as clearly they fly a whole lot better if put on a diet. I have 3- 8 x 720 NiMH packs, they each weigh 3.7 ounces. I also have 2- 8 x 300 NiMH packs, they weigh 2.3 ounces each. That 1.4 ounces is a huge difference on any lightweight flier! If you're flying those packs because that's what you have, then give it a try and see what you think. But if you ever get a chance to put a lighter pack on there, you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You might be surprised to find your duration isn't much different, you'll have to fly full throttle with the heavier pack while you can moderate the throttle more with the lighter pack. Listen to Boomer, he's tried nearly every motor/battery/plane combo anyone can think of!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 23, 2002, 01:41 AM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
Back when i had a lite stik, i ran the 7x250 NiCd cells from allelectronics ($3 a pack, how can you lose?) as well as 7x300Nimh, and actually preferred the performance on the 7x250. 250 NiCds are also a full size AAA so the weight will be similar and the power will probably be in the same ballpark as 8 of the NiMHs.

The plane just handled a bit better in wind, climbed better (more power) and was smoother. Of course the scary bend in the wings on any sort of moderate G loading was... scary i guess.

Because of the lower internal resistance of the bigger cell, I'd probably recommend going with 7x720 if you want to go that route. Saves a bit on weight; with seven cells the pack only weighs an ounce more and the duration is double the 370s.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Oct 23, 2002, 07:43 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Just like most anything, each has his own idea of 'ideal'. My LiteStik is heavy. I have an EPS100-1 on it, and my favorite pack is 7x700 AAA NiMh. The amaller 300's and Li-Ion work, but they don't have the extra 'grunt' of the larger cells, and I like the extra weight.

Of course my Stik isn't stock. .125 C/F LE and TE spars, heavy brass tube wing mounts, 3/8x1/4 fuse stick, etc. But, when full-contact combat breaks out, I'm the one doing the chasing, not the running...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond