HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:48 AM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
Help!
BCP 4in1 lights BLINK RED-BLINK RED-SOLID RED and will not arm!!

So I soldered in my new dual tail motors as carefully as I could tonight but when I plugged in a battery (albeit not a fully charged one) my indicator light blinked red twice and then lit up solid red. No amount of resetting has gotten it to arm and I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I checked the FAQ but the so-called "What do the lights mean" thread only referred to the light changing to red at full throttle which seems like a sorry excuse for a FAQ thread on the light that can obviously perform many other functions.

I was hoping to be able to fly tomorrow with the new setup but looks like I'm screwed unless someone has some insight as to the root of the problem. Thanks in advance guys.
Gawker is offline Find More Posts by Gawker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2007, 03:47 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
1. Idle up switch must be off

2. Throttle minimum

3. Crystals must be well seated

4. The rx must be well plugged into the 3-in-1 pcb inside the 4-in-1

5. Battery must be sufficently charged

6. If using a computer tx, makes sure low endpoint is low enough to arm the 4-in-1.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Apr 28, 2007, 04:05 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
mine wont even arm if my throttle trim is up or even in the middle.
BowerR64 is offline Find More Posts by BowerR64
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:47 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
To test, remove the item that you changed, as it is the most obvious source of a problem. Pull out the connector at the 4n1 that powers the tail motor/s. (with power off). THEN, plug the battery in to see if it will arm. If it does, triple-check your work, or remove the mod. If it does NOT work, unplug parts from the 4n1 until it arms. If it NEVER arms.....

Did you have the tail motor unplugged from the 4n1 when you were soldering? Have you checked the motor connection for shorts?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
What does it mean if I remove the unit from the heli completely and it still won't arm? Even with absolutely nothing hooked up to it that is.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:59 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
If you turn the radio off it wont even arm, it needs to get a signal from the radio and if it gets that then it checks for the position of the sticks.

Maybe its not getting a signal. Try another set of crystals

It could be bad, but ide try a new set of crystals first. From a friend, or take your gear to the hobby shop and see if they can try a working set they have.

Remember they are designd to fit a certin way. TX crystals cant go in the receiver. Crystals can break or get damaged in a crash so if this happened recently after a crash they could be damaged.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:17 PM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
The radio is on and I'm not even sure how to tell if the crystal is broken. Any pointers there? I'm a bit wary of taking it to my LHS because so far in my experience they're less than entirely worthless. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just sell it to someone for parts and give up. 3 weeks in and I've never successfully gotten the heli under control and I've already spent about 3 times as much on repair parts as I spent on the entire helicopter in the first place. Maybe this hobby isn't for me after all.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:51 PM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Are your switches on the radio set correctly? on the face there are 4 switches, they should be down, up , down, up.

The 4n1 has a safty feature on it so it doesnt injure some one. If there isnt somthing set correctly it wont come on and the rotor blades spin and hit you in the face.

It would be a shame to sell it and then who ever buys it says, oh your antenna wire was cut, or you crystals were plugged in backwards, or a switch was down insted of up.

Do you have an brothers and sisters who could of came into yoru room and pushed buttons, flipped switches when you were not there? showing off big brothers new helicopter?

The 4n1 could of blown from a crash, it happens but we were trying to go over the things to check before you just rule out its blown. Does the 4n1 smell burnt?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
Bower...if you're EVER in west Texas I owe you a beer! When using my radio as a controller for FMS (via a USB interface cable) in order to get proper functioning I have to switch to down-up-up-up or my throttle/collective is reversed in the SIM (meaning all the way UP is off and DOWN is full throttle)

I guess while I was waiting on the new tail parts I was running the SIM and forgot to change my switches back and then after I got the new stuff installed I was too excited to notice they weren't in the right place. I'm off to test things now (soon as I reinstall my 4-in-1 in the heli) and HOPEFULLY things will be OK.

BTW I'm going to be getting together with a heli flyer in my area (actually the guy I bought this from) in the next few weeks and get a couple of lessons so MAYBE I'll get over this hump soon and actually get flying!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:17 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Cool, ive done that a few times but now i have the program setup to the controler. Insted of changing the controler i change the sim. But i have to say ive done the same thing.

Imagin though, if the 4n1 didnt have this safty feature in it. Would the main blades been at full throttle? you had the stick down, and the throttle reversed right?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:27 AM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
No it's a FANTASTIC feature that I'm thankful is there but it was driving me so freaking batty I was ready to chuck the whole thing off the roof of the courthouse and watch it crash into tiny little pieces just to be rid of it. I bought the thing for a measly $75 but if I had had to order a new unit it would have brought me to a grand total of over $200 spent on parts on top of that original $75 since I bought it and it's been less than 3 weeks since I got it.

Now all i have to do it charge the packs up and see where we can go from here! BTW how did you fix that problem in the software? I've tried the INV check box in FMS but it has no effect on the way the system operates. What SIM are you using?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:34 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
Well on FMS i think you have to change it in the PPjoy, mine is located in the control panel. But i have clearview also, and it has settings to reverse the servo kinda thing so i change it there if i need to also.

Are you using your controler threw your sound card?

Its called somthing like controler mapping or somthing.

BTW, $75. is a steal for that heli, good deal.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:41 AM
Odessa Texas
Joined Apr 2007
58 Posts
PPJOY? No I'm using a cable that has what looks like an audio input on the one end and connect to the computer via USB on the other. There's some adapters included that allow you to plug in other style connectors as required by your radio. I don't even have anything like PPJOY installed on my system.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:46 AM
BeeZaur 480
Parkville Mo.
Joined Dec 2004
5,522 Posts
oh, well mine has a program and it assigns where what channels does and thats where i changed it when i used FMS.
Old May 01, 2007, 03:37 AM
Joined Dec 2006
29 Posts
BCP 4-1 blink blink

One of my favorite subjects --- burnt NL Unit -no go I have burnt 3 from
own ineptitude
Bottom line I wish there was a way one could repair these
little buggers! Got to be a way! They go so easy I mean they ain't like your
higher end "Gyro " If I had known this I would not have bought what I have
CX2 , CP and a CP Pro will not get used until it gets a real "Gyro" . Hate to
say it but there should be a away to repair them . As on your own.
So don't feel to bad I was baited in by the Heli fever of these little gems.

As what happenend to cause mine to blink is pure ineptitude--accidently
holding a TX to close as picking up Heli and the left stick goes up ---worst!

But I am an old time flyer and had a Cricket, and a Hirobo "Shuttle"
try fling a "Cricket" gorham product . 90 % setup on bench is the way to go
with any Helo. Nuff said habu42@peoplepc.com
habu42 is offline Find More Posts by habu42