SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:39 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Discussion
Finally, some flying weather! Who's flying their flappers?

After months of insane winds and muddy fields, things are finally starting to look spring-like around here! I had some very pleasant flights on the Slow Hawk 2 yesterday evening, the first outing in quite a while with hopefully many more to follow in the near future I don't know what it is about this bird, but despite the fact that it can't do aerobatics I find myself reaching for it whenever the weather is decent. I'm usually not much on just putting around the skies, but orni's have an undeniable appeal. So how about it, anyone else blowing the dust off their flappers?
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:57 AM
Joined Apr 2001
372 Posts
Hi Tres, had my Wingbird and Thunder Roc out yesterday. Got in three flight with each. Much fun.. Looking forward to a good weekend of weather for more of the same. Having fun. Harold
Flyboy70 is online now Find More Posts by Flyboy70
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:06 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
After months of insane winds and muddy fields, things are finally starting to look spring-like around here!
Maybe where you are. In NW Ohio when it hasn't been raining it's been windy as heck. I only had one flight with my Cybird P2 after fixing it up. I've been flying glow-engine fixed-wings mostly so far this year.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
First good weekend this year for me, I hope to get my ParkHawk flying. I also have a large amount of crows flying around doing "crow stuff" with each other. I always like the interaction I get with them. I hope they come up and play like they did last year so I can get some videos this time.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Montrose, Co.
Joined Mar 2003
62 Posts
I will be practicing my lawn dart technique with a Yardhawk and a Sunbird in the early morning tomorrow. My only spectators will be the Yaks in the next field.

Norm
lorinorm is offline Find More Posts by lorinorm
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:28 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Harold, glad to hear Nebraska is treating you right weather-wise, maybe there's hope for Tweener after all

Keith, good luck with the PH! I need to get mine flying too, something to give the SH and YH company

Norm, for me the lawn dart technique is much more likely when flying around others

I got another flight in on the SH this evening, two days in a row! I also flew a couple of other planes and the Dragonfly as well. I'm starting to remember why I liked flying R/C now, it was getting to be a distant memory
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:29 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Leipsic, OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Norm, for me the lawn dart technique is much more likely when flying around others
Ahh, yes; the old "Hey everyone, check this out" syndrome.
Tweener is offline Find More Posts by Tweener
Old Apr 29, 2007, 06:33 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
We had a couple of good "calm" mornings last week and I flew the parkhawk.
I am not sure what problem I am having now though. The first day it flew perfectly.
I didn't have a bit of problem with it. On the second day every time I launched it. it would start to turn in a right hand circle which kept getting tighter even with full left rudder. I launched it three times with the same thing happening.

I don't know what changed from one day to the next, but I couldn't get it to fly the second day.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
I don't know what changed from one day to the next, but I couldn't get it to fly the second day.
It wasn't a case of wrong model memory was it? My SH and YH setups are so similar that I'm sure one memory would fly the other bird, but it would have some wonky trim issues! I always check & doublecheck which memory I have selected because of that.

It was a BEAUTIFUL weekend, perfect flying conditions. Unfortunately I didn't get to fly anything because of other commitments
Old Apr 30, 2007, 02:03 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
It wasn't a case of wrong model memory was it? My SH and YH setups are so similar that I'm sure one memory would fly the other bird, but it would have some wonky trim issues! I always check & doublecheck which memory I have selected because of that.

It was a BEAUTIFUL weekend, perfect flying conditions. Unfortunately I didn't get to fly anything because of other commitments
Nope, wasn't the wrong model memory.
I have Futaba 9Z and every plane is named. This is the only Parkhawk
that I have flying right now.

I will just have to play with it some more. I know that it will fly well because it has done so in the past.

Tim
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:04 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
Nope, wasn't the wrong model memory.
You might check the diagonal wing support CF rods, make sure they're both still snapped in at the back and that there are no breaks in the rods. It's amazing how much those rods affect the flight trim.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 06:09 PM
Montrose, Co.
Joined Mar 2003
62 Posts
I have found that on my birds a little extra lash a con rod on one side or the other can have a big effect so I check each time I fly that everything is snug.
I also have trouble with control if I have to much power on. There seems to be a few places where if the flap rate is to high the bird is unresponsive.
Good luck.

Norm
lorinorm is offline Find More Posts by lorinorm
Old May 02, 2007, 05:40 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Hey Norm,
Thanks, that was it. Without thinking I was launching with full power because
there was a breeze and I thought that I would need the extra power.
I went back out and launched at a little over half power and it flew perfectly.

It will not fly in much wind though. I will just save it for dead calm days.

Tim