SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:04 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
breaks on glider retracts for 12 to 15 lbs models

Can any one give me some ideas on installing a break for standard glider retracts,I have a couple of models that come in under 15 lbs. Their 4 to 5 meters and I would think hard to stop on short strip at the slope. Please contact me AT 909 628 6771 Chino Ca. ,OR mrentawrench@net zero .net
Thanks Thomas
hitem is offline Find More Posts by hitem
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,486 Posts
Very bottom of this page:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wheels.htm
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
Already spoke to Mr. L.A. Johnson ,tech rep. for Hobby Lobby. Those brakes are ony good For Kavan,plus they won't fit the fork of a single wheel glider retract. Thomas
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:30 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
Hi Hitem,

May I suggest that for landing on the slope you have wheels up, negating the need for wheel brakes.

Cheers
Steve
Lunns is offline Find More Posts by Lunns
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:28 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
788 Posts
Hi,

landing on the slope:

With small models Iím fine to land without the retract deployed (e. g. my 3-meter-ASH-26).

But landing a large model is a different thing. Iím happy to have a wheel on my 4,60-meter-Pilatus-B4. It absorbes a lot of shock during a rough landing.

Of course it always depends on the special circumstances at the slopes.

If you plan to have a break for your retract, than you can go for a simple friction-break. I have one in my large L-213A.

You can see the principle here on the FEMA-website

Andy
bie is online now Find More Posts by bie
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
I agree once you start flying big models on the slope you need to consider slowing the mass down once you touch on the wheel, models in excess of say 15kg must land on there wheel and the friction brake on a retracting wheel is a good way to go, another is a disc brake unit modified from an RC petrol car, I see the half scale 28's etc use them and seem to work well. my 20kg 1-26 rolls for 15 meters once it touches down even on the slope, the imence inertia has to be dissapaited somehow. Once you've flown big heavy models everything changes the way you plan fly and prep your models and even the way you treat them......
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Apr 27, 2007, 01:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
Andy, YOU THE MAN! I think I can retrofit the retracts already installed ,But you can be sure that Iwill be buying from this company for my future builds. Excellent advice!
Not all the slopes in So. Cal. are grass or have very much room,so now this will open up a lot more sites to me.
Thank you very much Thomas { HITEM }
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:01 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
788 Posts
Thomas,

thank you. I'm glad, I could help!

Andy
bie is online now Find More Posts by bie
Old Apr 28, 2007, 06:39 PM
Queens, NY
Joined Mar 2004
531 Posts
Hi all again !

My experience with slowing down heavy gliders is not that straight forward.
Model will slow down as long wheel is in motion. If it looses a friction with a grass it is same like landing with out landing gear at all.
It will rip the tire off on slightest rock.
FEMA landing gear offers excellent design as long you restrict the braking force to the desirable level by using some kind of adjustable spring on the pull rod.

Additonaly
I have learned over the years that some of the braking effect is needed in many other situations. Is good if heavy model is slightly draggy on take off allowing proper stretch of tow line and limits overrunning of tow plane if bungee effect occurs on take off.
On slopes we keep models often on tilted surfaces.
probably you would love to try gravitational take off at one point, but when it stays in pits make sure is there.
For this reason my small units got over sized foam wheels rubbing against the fork spacer.
On large units I install adjustable permanent braking collar (picture)
If someone would like to have such device in his LG unit e-mail me.
1/4" and 5/32" are basic sizes, but just measure size of your spacer nearest to the wheel and make sure it will not interfere with other parts while folding.

ZM
Smyk is online now Find More Posts by Smyk
Last edited by Smyk; Apr 29, 2007 at 08:21 AM.