HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Cruzsin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
348 Posts
Discussion
Almost the weekend

With another flying session approaching,I thought I'd try something new in the way of a paint technique.
I saw this done on tv by a painter working on a harley motorcycle tank.It seemed to work well,although I only used it on a small portion of my Accelorator wing tips.
Cruzsin is offline Find More Posts by Cruzsin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,757 Posts
That paint job is really cool. Good Job
I used to race onroad r/c cars and I always liked to trick out the lexan car bodies and I found that by using perferated (I.E. has little rectangle holes stamped out) rubber tool box drawer linings and an airbrush you can get a really neat carbon fiber look by spraying black with the perferations in one direction and then turn the perferations cross wise and spraying a little black and silver mixed. after it is dried you get that woven carbon fiber look.
It did however take a few tries on some scrap plexi glass using water based paints to get it right.

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2006
348 Posts
Thanks for the compliment

I'm in the middle of building a 2.5 meter all glass plane now.I figured I'd try this on a small section of an existing plane to see how it looks.
On the 2.5 meter,I'll use this on a much larger section of the wing.
Cruzsin is offline Find More Posts by Cruzsin
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzsin
Thanks for the compliment

I'm in the middle of building a 2.5 meter all glass plane now.I figured I'd try this on a small section of an existing plane to see how it looks.
On the 2.5 meter,I'll use this on a much larger section of the wing.
Let me know when it's done I'd like to see some pics. Those types of paint jobs are killer because they almost have a holographic effect. I have an uncle that used to paint car show quality custom paint jobs, Back in the early 90's he painted a 68 Camaro SS an egg plant type purple with a bumper to bumper ice pearl ghost flame and when you looked at it just right the flames looked as if they were jumping out at you. It was the wildest thing I had ever seen.
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl