HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:32 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
141 Posts
Discussion
Comet Golden Eagle from 1938

Hi, Has anyone built this model at any scale for FF or R/C??
It was 45 inch span and I'm thinking of doing a 76 inch version with low wing, R/C and ailerons.
The wing can be parasol, shoulder or low on the plan.
Looks great on the plan.

Allan
AllanK is offline Find More Posts by AllanK
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:26 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Allan ditto I keep looking at my copy of that one........... I think we need to find an AMA/SAM member with a taste for sport designs.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old Apr 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
Joined Jun 2005
141 Posts
I'll have a go at it as a low winger. It will have enough performance for competition here in NZ. We only have a 4 minute duration target off 25 seconds 4 stroke engine run. If it comes up a bit short I can always through a YS 63 at it. Shoulkd be at a 1000 feet in 25 seconds.

I really like the look of this one. Even that original colour scheme will look quite striking I think. I have a heap of yellow and blue Coverite, left over form a proposed glider project from 30 pears ago, that has that heavy weight tissue look. Will be OK with red paint for the trim.

Unfortunately I have to get on and bag 2 new tips for my sailplane before I can start else I will be short of a back up model for the coming season, trouble is I'd sooner be buiding the Eagle! How about G-EGLE for a registration and some scale detail.

I'm afraid I'm a sucker for these '30s sport models.

Attached is a recent in flight shot of my Lancer at our last Texaco A contest.
Looks much more interesting in the air than your average vintage pylon style model I think. The Golden Eagle will have the same sort of look but mores with a low wing and it's substantail fuselage.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 08:06 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Lets see if we can jog someones memory Allan.
Maybe its the Comet name that we should focusing on.
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Apr 30, 2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 01:33 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
If anyone can e-mail me scans of the plans (300 dpi makes the best plans) I will rework the scans in Photoshop to assemble the scans, clean them up, and then make them available to everyone here.

Planeman at rcarswellsr@att.net
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Last edited by planeman; Feb 13, 2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2005
141 Posts
Other US low wing designs from the 30s??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Lets see if we can jog someones memory Allan.
Maybe its the Comet name that we should focusing on.
Yes, that's the model. I hadn't appreciated that it was a Goldberg design. It is very rare to get a low winger with a nice semi scale look from the 1930s. It should build to an impressive model at 76 inch span. The bulky fuselage and almost Tee tail will be very destinctive.
I took a look at the N22 wing section in Profilli and it is actually a good performer with plenty of lift and quite low higher speed drag as well. It actually has slight under camber but has been straight lined for building convenience on the plan. It will let the model trade height for distance when gliding back up wind unlike many vintage sections.

Does anyone know of any other low wingers from the 30s?? I guess there was the Cl. Bowden models but how about the US scene?

Allan
Old May 04, 2007, 07:01 PM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Alan Im going to try this over at the other place as well see if anyone can make a connection there.
Old May 04, 2007, 08:38 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK
Yes, that's the model. I hadn't appreciated that it was a Goldberg design. It is very rare to get a low winger with a nice semi scale look from the 1930s. It should build to an impressive model at 76 inch span. The bulky fuselage and almost Tee tail will be very destinctive.
I took a look at the N22 wing section in Profilli and it is actually a good performer with plenty of lift and quite low higher speed drag as well. It actually has slight under camber but has been straight lined for building convenience on the plan. It will let the model trade height for distance when gliding back up wind unlike many vintage sections.

Does anyone know of any other low wingers from the 30s?? I guess there was the Cl. Bowden models but how about the US scene?

Allan
The Peerless Panther is a good Old Timer. Also the H.A.Thomas Pacemaker
California Condor is online now Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:18 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,027 Posts
I have the plan but it doesn't have all the fuselage formers. I have a small pattern sheet labeled #3. Is there a #4? I can fairly easily design formers that will be close, but an original would be better.

Martin
Martin Irvine is online now Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
Dave Segal
Philadelphia PA USA
Joined Jun 2001
550 Posts
Panther II - Model Aviation

An RC version of the Peerless Panther appeared as a construction article in the December, 1979 issue of Model Aviation and the plan is available from the AMA Plans Service. Wingspan is 64" for a .25 engine. Two sizes of the original Panther (46" and 81") are available as plans or parts sets from http://www.klarichkits.com/

An electric power kit is available from http://www.bmjrmodels.com/ with a 40" wingspan.
Dsegal is offline Find More Posts by Dsegal
Last edited by Dsegal; Jun 16, 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:46 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,062 Posts
Just looking at the Golden Eagle, checked over at the SAM site, it and Trevor Boundy's site list the designer as Joe Konefes, same plane, Comet kit, low wing, near T-tail, wonder why the confusion with the designer? Doesn't really matter now, I guess, just think little mysteries like this is part of the fun of vintage modelling.
Cash
CashRC is online now Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:18 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
I've got the plans somewhere. The Golden Eagle is a fantastic looker. Model Builder magazine had a picture of one years ago and I immediately added it to my Pond order going in at the time.

A double or even 1.5 times size bump would be amazingly attractive.

To all the Panther, Pacemaker and other low wing fans I'm sorry but none of them can hold a candle to the sexy lines of the Eagle. That little peak at the plans doesn't do it justice unless you can imagine it with the extra stringers that round out and blend the fuselage into the fin.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:29 PM
Chad H Fly`n Farmer
Ancaster, Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2007
275 Posts

Allan[/QUOTE]

Heres a scan from a ad in July 1934 Universal Model Airplane News for a sweet rubber job I have had my eye on for a couple years. It is on the SAM approved list (if that matters to ya, doesn`t mean squat to me) . It is only 24 inches in span.....but blow it up 3 times to 72 inches would be just right. It is the George D. Wanner and Company "Scarlet Tanager"

I wish it would scan better, turned out crappy, can`t even see the open cockpit behind the wing........nice looking ship if you like the golden age planes like I do.

Now who has plans they would sell me..? lol Chad.
Chad H is offline Find More Posts by Chad H
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:36 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
If old timer authenticity doesn't mean much to you then why not just design your own version at the size you want that uses this picture as inspiration?

I like the looks of this enough to have done this little cad doodle. It's a bit more pudgy than the rubber model but I think it may give it a bit more of a 30's racer look.

What'cha think?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:02 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,528 Posts
Darn you! I spent most of the last part of the evening fleshing out the Tanager Racer doodle....