ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Trader Rating: 20
Discussion
steal this from e-bay??

their new proposed rating system..
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Last edited by Eljimb0; Apr 28, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Trader Rating: 181
Saw that. It's about time, as it goes into more detail what to expect from a seller.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
Airplane Nut
Montana
Joined Jun 2005
337 Posts
Trader Rating: 93
The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw them earlier... What if you leave positive feedback, then leave so-so ratings in those other categories just being honest, and the seller fires back with negative feedback?
I don't see the new ratings making things much different than they are now, with all the withdrawn feedback on some of the questionable sellers' profiles because they soiled some buyer's 100% feedback with a retaliatory negative. But I guess that's what makes questionable sellers questionable.
dfalcon is offline Find More Posts by dfalcon
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
I think if the details are used instead of the simple positive/negative thing it will be much more relevant. If the guy doesn't send anything for 2 weeks.. It will show up as a trend.. or the check bounces to 3 different sellers
jimbo
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:25 AM
RC Dans
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Trader Rating: 86
The E-bay feedback is way broke and definitely needs some fixing.
What they should have done a long time ago is require the seller to leave feedback first.
If the buyer paid then he has done his part and should get the positive feedback.
This whole thing where the seller holds leaving negative feedback over your head is crazy.

As for the new system only time will tell... If there are loopholes for the seller, I wouldn't expect them to fix them anytime soon. Sellers are after all where they make their money.
Noto is offline Find More Posts by Noto
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:11 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Trader Rating: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto
What they should have done a long time ago is require the seller to leave feedback first.
If the buyer paid then he has done his part and should get the positive feedback.
I disagree. As a seller, I do not consider the transaction complete until I know that the buyer is satisfied. If there is any issues, the buyer has to help work toward resolution, and his conduct during this time, as well as mine, are of the utmost importance. When I am the buyer, I post positive as soon as I am satisfied.

Like they say, it is easy to fly an airplane when everything is going right, but when problems arise, you find out how good of a pilot you are.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
United States, NC, Hampstead
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
I think the biggest problem with ebay feedback is that people hold it for ransom until you give them a positive. If someone pays me money I immediately give a + but rarely do other sellers do the same that gets me worried about the junk they are sending right off the start. If you get your payment the other person has completed there half of the transaction. I hope that they fix this prob with the new system.
quell is offline Find More Posts by quell
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:00 AM
RC Dans
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Jun 2005
383 Posts
Trader Rating: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28
I disagree. As a seller, I do not consider the transaction complete until I know that the buyer is satisfied. If there is any issues, the buyer has to help work toward resolution, and his conduct during this time, as well as mine, are of the utmost importance. When I am the buyer, I post positive as soon as I am satisfied.

Like they say, it is easy to fly an airplane when everything is going right, but when problems arise, you find out how good of a pilot you are.
As a seller myself I always leave positive feedback as soon as the buyer pays.
Holding feedback for ransom is ridiculous. I consider my customer service good enough that I don't have to worry about getting negative feedback even if something goes wrong. If the buyer wants to leave negative feedback even tho I have done everything I can to solve a problem then oh well.

I'm not a big time seller tho 100s of transactions a day or anything maybe I could see it differently somehow if I were but from where I sit now I have no need to hold feedback over someones head.
Noto is offline Find More Posts by Noto
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:46 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
I have no need to hold feedback over someones head.
I never really thought about it as "holding it over someone's head," but I have run into some really nutty people in this world. I have heard stories about buyers holding negative feedback over seller's heads to try to extort more than thier due. Now, I have never experienced that directly. Maybe I should lighten up.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:30 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,449 Posts
Trader Rating: 59
Quote:
The E-bay feedback is way broke and definitely needs some fixing.
If the buyer paid then he has done his part and should get the positive feedback.This whole thing where the seller holds leaving negative feedback over your head is crazy.

As for the new system only time will tell... If there are loopholes for the seller, I wouldn't expect them to fix them anytime soon. Sellers are after all where they make their money.
Absolutely. If the buyer pays within your specified time limit then automatic positive feedback. So many sellers hold from posting a positive rating until the buyer does. Complete foul in my book. If I buy something and the seller doesn't leave a rating for me, I don't either. A positive feedback should not be a ransom payment.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:32 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg28
I disagree. As a seller, I do not consider the transaction complete until I know that the buyer is satisfied.
I've always wondered about this.

Gregg28, what does that have to do with leaving a positive feedback for the buyer? He paid. That's all he has to do.

Thanks,

Frank
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:22 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
He paid. That's all he has to do.
Frank,
Paying could be all that the buyer has to do, but he could also use his feedback as leverage against the seller to extort more. If I am selling, and for some reason the buyer is not satisfied, I will do everything reasonable, and a little more, to make them happy. But you run the risk of the buyer wanting much more than what is fair, either by them not understanding or just being unreasonable.
The bottom line is that whomever posts first is taking a leap of faith that the other person will respond accordingly. I think that the buyers responsibility is clear cut, so when he is happy with the transaction, positive feedback "seals the deal." At this point the seller has absolutely no reason to post negative feedback. If the deal does go sour, neither party would have left feedback yet.
I know that as a seller, I trust myself implicitely to try, and almost always do the right thing. When a buyer tells me that he is happy, by way of feedback, I immediately post positive for them. If they tell me there is a problem, I bend over backwards to rectify it. I have taken items back and refunded money, even though I new that they worked and were described accurately.
As a buyer, as soon as the item arrives and I am satisfied, I post positive.
My only negative feedback on Ebay, was when I posted negative on a deadbeat buyer, and he blasted me back. (If you do check it, It is because he was online when the auction ended, and several times in the next couple of days, but would not respond to email. Within minutes of my posting, he posted neg. for me.)
This may be a bit rambling, but I have thought it out and I like it this way. Somebody has to post first.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,449 Posts
Thanks for the info Gregg and I appreciate you taking the time to share your insight.

I've bought and sold plenty on ebay and it just doesn't seem worth the hassle anymore. I've had much better luck here and not all of it was RC stuff.

Frank
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:44 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Joined Jun 2005
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
I've bought and sold plenty on ebay and it just doesn't seem worth the hassle anymore. I've had much better luck here and not all of it was RC stuff.

Agreed. I never had a problem that I could not work out here. But then, I am very carefull who I send money to.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
I agree with Greg about this. Because it is an auction sometimes a buyer will loose his head and pay much more for something than they ordinarily would. The morning after buyers remorse can sometimes turn ugly. I have screwed up and bid to much for something.... but I take responsibility for my own actions .....Some people are real jerks. "you said this was NEW..
But the box had already been opened!!"
Did you ever work in retail?.. .....every now and then
jimbo
Closed Thread