HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
849 Posts
Does anyone have drawn up plans for the larger sizes of the Puddle?

I found the original Puddle design. It's an old design from 2004 and all in German (or some other Germanic language I don't recognize.) I could start with that but why reinvent the wheel if someone has already drawn it up. Also power recommendations would really help.

I liked to find a slow-flying float plane in the 50-70" span range or there abouts for possible FPV use. A Puddle in a larger size might be just the ticket.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
Does anyone have drawn up plans for the larger sizes of the Puddle?

I liked to find a slow-flying float plane in the 50-70" span range or there abouts for possible FPV use. A Puddle in a larger size might be just the ticket.

-l2t
Hello learn2turn: there are more Puddle twin XL plans 56" in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455435

All can be resized by printer settings I believe. The other day I have seen some AP inspiration in another thread : google for eyeplane and or twinax.

Two props need more effort to balance in order to avoid vibrations or jellying effect in your onboard video.

AK68
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
The Puddle monster is built exactly like the original plans (comic fuse or box fuselage)just printed 200% from original plan. As your usual home printer will balk at that you just go to some copy shop and have it enlarged there.

then instead of 3mm material use 6mm Depron and off you go. absolutely NO reinventing the wheel required.

The AUW for a Puddle monster at 200% size is around 1,2-1,5kg so make your power system accordingly... we powered ours with super cheap china brushless outrunners in the 40g range giving about 200W per each.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
3,028 Posts
There is also an English translation of the building instructions in the first few posts.
vtdiy is offline Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
I noticed that some of the larger versions are using differential throttle control on the motors... Once, somewhere I say notes on how to program a Spectrum DX6i for differential throttle control mixed in with the rudder to assist turns... Can anyone give me some clues on how to do this??
Thanks... Gary
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:04 AM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,418 Posts
Not sure on the details of the DX6i, but basically you want to use two mixes with one throttle channel slaved to right rudder, the other to left. I have it set up on a switch so I can turn it off before I start my takeoff run. The first time I set it up I was sitting on the couch watching the servo monitor screen and it was pretty easy once I got started.
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:13 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
The problem with the DX6 is that it doesn`t have enough free programmable mixes we had the same problem on my girlfriends Puddle when she still ad her DX6

You need one mix for the combined throttle:
THR -> AUX1 (or wherever you have your second ESC)

Then you need 1 mix each to increase the power of the oposit side ESC with rudder i.e. rudder left right ESXC spins up rudder right Left ESC spins up, this is so that even with throttle low or off you can actually spin up the motor required to turn the plane.
RUD -> Throttle
RUD -> AUX 1

It MIGHT be possible to use a Heli programm on the DX6 for that exact purpose, as the heli program already makes a fixed mix of Throttle and Pitch. You need to make sure that you have not selected the 120 CCPM swashplate option tho. So instead of pitch you plug in your second ESC and make your Throttle Curve a line from 0 to 100% and your pitch curve from 0 to 100% that should give the same effect for combined throttle
Then use the 2 free mixes to make the differential throttle mixer.
RUD -> Throttle
RUD -> AUX 1
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Thanks for the input.. looks like I can figure it out from the above with a bit (lot) of experimenting. I have a four motor cargo plane almost ready to maiden.. I can use it for experimentation. I showed pictures and plans to a small group from our club this morning (we meet for breakfast every Thursday). I think there will be a couple more built this winter....

Thanks again...

Gary
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
I noticed that some of the larger versions are using differential throttle control on the motors... Once, somewhere I say notes on how to program a Spectrum DX6i for differential throttle control mixed in with the rudder to assist turns... Can anyone give me some clues on how to do this??
Thanks... Gary
Gary, I use DX6i and I have been looking for the same as you. Found out that 2 mixes on DX6i is not enough. On top of that there have been issues mentioned with throttle channel not being able to use as a slave for at least some of the DX6i.
Anyway I ended up installing a V-Tail mixer. I'm happy with it. You can see diff throttle +rudder results in some of my video's here. It also leaves a mix for flaperons and switchable output for Landing gear or nav-lights.
Downside: not programmable or switchable. Also Mavlo77 has mentioned to me that if you unnplug one of the output servo's the direct input signal goes funny. In my case on the rudder servo which is connected with a Y harness parrallel to one of the v-tail mixer inputs. So I glued the extensionconnectors.
For me it works fine. Turning on a dime and doing nice knifeedge. Unlike my polaris.
For brushless use 1 esc per motor. For brushed motors I have seen a nice solution with switch for four or twin motors on RCGroups under Ivan Pettygrew's builts.
Let us know please how the meatbomber heli option did work out if you tried that.
Thanks
AK68
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
United Kingdom, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Jul 2008
85 Posts
New Wing Shape

Thinking over the christmas period that I would make a new wing for my old XL Puddle.

Noticed in my previous builds a strong and frequent tendency to drop the wing in a stall. So given the shape can be anything, what would the group recommend?

Was thinking I would certainly remove most of the taper and keep the leading edge straight whilst adding some wash out to both tips.
discus.fly is offline Find More Posts by discus.fly
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
washout, larger area and less weight helps against wing drop :-)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
622 Posts
Washout is good
rszanti is offline Find More Posts by rszanti
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
I just reviewed my Tunrigy TGY 9x transmitter... It has been in the drawer since last spring when I bought it and was too busy to sort through the programming.. Actually this time it was much clearer... Looks like it is an open slate that requires (or allows) almost everything to be programed to suit... There are 8 or so mixes available and they can use any of the channels (i think).... So I might use this tx for my Puddle twin...

I have also ordered the v-tail mixer, and will experiment with my DX6i also, both with the heli mode and the mixer.... I will set up a "bread board" with two motors and a rudder servo to bench test it... I will keep you all updated here....

Building the twin will be a few weeks away as the wife bought a condo in Denver that was stripped and I have about two more weeks' work until it is ready for market.

But she gives me a couple days off between trips down there so I can do some experimenting...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
any news on your build ggrimely?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
428 Posts
Still on hold.... Seems like the "honey-do" list comes first... And even though we haven't seen rain in months.... It keeps growing. Hope for next month....