United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
I have 2 escs for each motor 1...
I think you mean "I have 2 ESC's, 1 for each motor..."
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Sep 09, 2007 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2007, 04:07 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
i think i meant, due to the fact that running 2 brushless motors with only one ESC is not going to work i will have to get two brushless motors and two brushless ESCs which in turn enables me to use the capabilities of having two seperate ESCs to enhance my waterhandling with the use of differential throttle.

anyway english is not my motherlanguage so my gramatic is not as impeccable as i would like it to be...

MB
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
200% build

Ok, I have started… and I made a mistake right away I put the “F2” under and not between the F1, so I had to trim the inside structure a little. Also at 200% the fuselage is just a little over 4”. This is bad because Blu-Core is 2’x4’. Had to put a small piece in the rear.
I am going to use the “factory fold” in the Blu-Core as the leading edge. I love it when I can do that.
So far I am 100% hot glue. I am going to try to do the wing tonight and use the foaming glue and hot glue. I want to try to make a “wing joiner/mini spar” out of pink foam. I just don’t trust the “no spar” wings.
Here are the pictures.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
AWESOME another Puddle Monster is borne!! You are lucky i had to piece the fuse from 3 pievces due to the size of depron sheets i had available i don`t think your nose didn`t go so well it looks good as is ! Can`t wait to see how your wing is going along !

I used Wood dowels 8mm diameter for the Sponsons and i would recommend putting reinforcements into the wing when you build it, i had to put a balsa plate under the wing where the dowels went thru to prevent them from ripping out.

Also i can only recommend putting a stiffener into the nose compartement where you place the battery as during hard landings the plate has the tendancy to break downwards where the battery sits.. don`t ask how i know

I also made a 6mm depron spar from rib to rib all the way through the wing... holds fine even with teh acro i put my plane throug... i would however make a strip go all the way through if i built a new one rather than piece it inbetween the ribs for added strength and ease of building
Last edited by meatbomber; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:08 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
The Monster is done and flies great!!

The Monster is done and flies great!!
Well between rain storms this weekend I got to maiden the Puddle Monster. I use 2 - 4s A123 (Dewalt) packs. One pack turned out to have a bad cell.
This thing is huge, being that I didn’t have time to head for water, I decided to hand launch the monster. Thank goodness it is over powered.
I started by putting a little up elevator in so it would not head toward the ground, that was bad.
Holding this huge plane over my head, I started running … are you getting the visual on this?? I took maybe 10 steps and it started to lift up by it self (no throttle yet) so I let go and bumped the throttle with my thumb. I gave it about ¾ throttle, I thought that would be good to climb out nice and slow……….. Well it pitched up and started climbing at about at 70 degrees. I pushed the nose down and then realized it was climbing just fine, not stalling. So, I back the throttle off to about a 1/4, still pushing the nose down and trimmed it to fly level. It also needed 3 clicks to the right. Bad part, none of this is on the video. The Video is 2 minutes of about a 7 min flight.
At the end of the video is where I put down the camera and stared to get ready to land… good thing I put down the camera. As I turned to start heading back to land,10 feet off the ground, one motor quit… wow does it turn with only one motor on. I cut the throttle and dead sticked it in for a perfect landing, floated in on the wet grass and slid about 20 feet. (Also not on video) WOW I love maidens
From behind me I hear “hey that was great!” “Why did you turn one motor off?”
I didn’t see that I had gathered an audience.

You Tube video link
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:26 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
AWESOME !!! great to hear she made it thru in one piece i had something similar happen to me on my 2nd flight when one of the props let go of a blade just after takeoff and i found myselfe flying single engine too!

Happy to see yours is flying just as nice and slow and gracefull as mine
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:31 PM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
Nice Job Gundy,

incredible flying and filming during the maiden

I would need someone holding my knees from shaking

with minor mods the Monster looks like the perfect plane for video/photo flights, always nice colours flying above water.

Only have to explain this to my wife, she protests about the volume of my hobby already

congratulations again,

rawy
rawy is online now Find More Posts by rawy
Old Oct 01, 2007, 01:15 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,429 Posts
Very cool. Do you know what happened to the motor?

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Oct 01, 2007, 02:12 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
great plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Very cool. Do you know what happened to the motor?

Thayer
It wasn’t the motor; it was one of the battery packs. I was running 2 – 4s in parallel then running them to a “Y” with one branch to each ESC. See picture. Why didn’t I just run one battery to each ESC??? Well I didn’t want the motors to run at different speeds because of differences in the 2 batteries. What happened is one of the cells in one of the packs was bad and that pack was doing nothing… so, the load was on one pack. The cut out for one of the ECSs is higher then the other and it cut out first. (read Cheap ESCs)

rawy:
I need to get a better camera and mount it on a hat or something LOL
I have been doing a lot of AP video with my "Easy Star", and the "Shot Getter". when I saw the video of this plane I was thinking that it would make a great AP plane. the next thing I am going to do is cut a hole in the side for my camera mount. I am guessing this plane will never see water

meatbomber::
Thanks to your great build and pictures I got this one flying. This is going to be a great plane. With some good batteries no telling how long it will fly. I do have some things that I want to do yet, fill the front with "spray foam" that will support the batteries better too. Also I didn’t support the rudder or elevator they are just foam and hot glue, they seemed ok, but if I am going to fly this all the time I am going to need to beef them up. And I need to put the black trim on. Generally, I don’t paint until after a good maiden… but I wanted pictures of this one

Later,
Gundy
Old Oct 05, 2007, 08:15 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
you recon you`d need that much Capacity ? i`m flying my Monster with only a 3S 2200mAh pack and i can fly it for about 18mins with lots and lost of takoffs from water.

the A123s do have 3000mAh if i recall correctly so 1 pack should be quite sufficient.. maybe ont enough Amps for vertical climb but who really needs that

Did you fly it of water yet Gundy ? Thats the best part of flying you can do with the Puddles!
Old Oct 08, 2007, 09:08 PM
Editor - Flying Models
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2003
2,429 Posts
A123 cells are 2300mAh, but can be charged in 15 minutes with their 3S charger.

Thayer
Thayer is offline Find More Posts by Thayer
Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
Joined Jan 2004
91 Posts
Building a Giant Puddle Master

Hi Meatbomber and other giant puddle master devotees.
I am impressed with your giant Puddle Master videos so I am going to start one also in the next several weeks. RCfoam supplies depron in the USA now. I have access to several medium size ponds and I plan on doing ariel photography also. I plan on using ailerons in mine with standard servos on rudder and elevator with two micro servos on each aileron. You mentioned that you are using a 2200 3S pack. Is that a 3S1P? I am thinking of a 3000 3S1P or greater on mine since I will have to use a BEC and two standard servos. I will post photos when I start my build.
Regards, Lewis
Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Lewis
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
Great to hear there`ll be another Puddle MONSTER!
i`m using only a 3S1P 2200 pack and it`s plenty big for the flying i do, the weight of another pack or a very large pack is no problem for the model flying wise but structurally you`ll need to make a bit of an improvement to the forward part of the Battery and Servo Plate F4, see below

Puddle Monster Service Bulletin PM-SB01

Description
Installtion of a frame below the forward edge of the Battery&Servo plate F4, to strengthen the forward part of the Bettery plate.

Reason for change
To avoid breaking the main battery and servo plate F4, due to high shear forces during landing, due to heavy batteries .

accomplishment instructions
Cut a piece of Depron 6mm as wide as the Servo Plate F4 and long enough to reach from the forward edge of F4 straight down to the forward fuselage bottom F2. Install said former with your choice of glue, i`d recommend Contact or hot glue during build... if it`s a retrofit.. well maybe some epoxy. retrofitting this piece might be a bit of a pain, but should be manageable, the Puddle Monster leaves plenty room for hands working inside the forward fuselage.

Cheers
MB
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:05 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,345 Posts
so any news on your Puddles Gundy and Lewis ? anybody else building one ?
Old Nov 09, 2007, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2004
91 Posts
my puddle monster

Thanks for the information Meatbomber. I havn't started mine yet but I will keep you posted when I do start. I'm planning on using two Uberall Nippy Black 1608/160's with 8-3.8 or 7-4 props and two Jeti 18 amp ESC's. I have one of these motor/ESC's combos on my Pondside (48" WS AUW 29 oz. wing loading 10.6 oz. with a 3S1P 1320 lipo) and it flies it really well. I get 15 minute flights with this setup. Here is my build link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=pondside
Regards, Lewis
Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Lewis