SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2009, 01:59 PM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
new waterplane

Hi Guys ( and girls - sorry "Airkid" )

I just (almost) finished a new little waterplane..

It's a Piper cub on floats...I'm sorry for those of you who would like to build it to, but i dont have the drawings digitaly on my pc. I just had a larger ( original) Pipercub as "model". I lowered it in size and came up with this baby.

wingspan aprox. 1.20m
The fusilage is build of 6mm depron, as wel are the rudder and elevator.
The wing was constructed of 6mm depron ribs and covered it with 3mm depron.It was verry easy to do, its the same method as the wings used for the PT-II-XL.

The setup i used was almost the same as for all my shockflyers:
Engine 2204 - 24 grams HobbyCity Hong Kong
ESC: Turnigy 10 amp
Servo's: 2 x HXT500
Lipo: 1000 mAh Rhino ( also HobbyCity )
Receiver: corona Synth. 4 channels

I promise to post a Video after I Finished the paintjob ...

For those of you who would like to build the floats...I do have them in PDF !!!
And they are easy to build.

regards Gert
dniweerf is offline Find More Posts by dniweerf
Last edited by dniweerf; May 24, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 02:16 AM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
another flight of the PT-II-XL and maiden of the Depron piper on floats

another flight of the PT-II-XL and the watermaiden of the Depron piper on floats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeo4p6vmlo

Gert
Old May 29, 2009, 06:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Very nice mate.

Hi Gert

Very nice to see your puddle twin on a larger sized piece of water, nice aerobatics too. The little Piper is very cute, and a very nice flyer it seems, I don't fancy looping a cub with floats on I know that Tiger Moths have a reduced Vne limitation with floats, such that you don't get to to 'Loop Entry Speed'.
How we laugh in the face of caution with our models, nice one mate.
I was puzzled by the closing title, "sound and video editing, by GB", mine was a silent movie, ho hum. Still very enjoyable, keep up the good work.
regards, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old May 30, 2009, 10:51 AM
ToucanWings.fr
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jan 2008
139 Posts
I've done a little video too, enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q45hGkxfiNY
LucioleMC30 is offline Find More Posts by LucioleMC30
Old Jun 10, 2009, 01:45 PM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,383 Posts
I really did mean to start the standard size puddle a couple of months ago but got sidetracked by my son into other things which included a epp 30" funfly,31"octagonal nutball,another octagonal ufo and finnishing off my beagle.Now I am ready to give the puddle a try.Don,t really know why but I have decided to use speed 280 brushed motors for this one.What voltage motors are the best to use.I would think that the 7.2v motors should work ok or would the 6v motors be better.Going to build the box fuselage as it should be quicker just incase my son wants something else putting together.
I have the plans for the monster fuselage but cannot find the wing plans,can you help.
John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Last edited by jclassic1; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:39 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
568 Posts
neat water planes.guys...one question..what are you using for hinges on the flying surfaces when depron is used for the building material.I have a small flying boat ready but not having much luck with hinging the flying surfaces. cheers
mintie is online now Find More Posts by mintie
Old Jun 15, 2009, 08:49 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
I use tape , and just for safety I do a figure 8 with thread at the horn and each end of the control surface.

For pull pull controls I use at least one "DuBro" or similar hinge at the horn.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Last edited by lake flyer; Jun 15, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
I would like to ask the group about heat and esc's. In my puddle monster, I am using the popular set up from Hobbycity/ United Hobbies and the esc's seem to get really hot. I am sizing down my props to 8" to try to reduce the load on the motors. Being my first electric airplane, Id like to ask everyone how hot their esc's get. What is the norm? After a good flight, mine are almost too hot to handle. I cant imagine them lasting very long like that. I do have one of the BEC's disconnected. Does anyone mount their esc's outside, or build in air ducts or something similar? Thanks in advance!
boxertwin is offline Find More Posts by boxertwin
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:34 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
There seems to have been a change in the ESCs... we have used to have little green stickers with an "N" on it, these where working fine thou they would get warm (do you have any cooling holes in your fuselage?)
Now the new version has purple stickers with a "W" on it and we are having constant problems with overheating... especially the engines on Airkids Puddle are getting cooked (for some reason it works a bit better on mine but i have only 1 of these new W ESCs.)

we are investigating... but it seems there will have to be a change in ESCs
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Jun 29, 2009, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
Thanks for the timely response. My esc's are the "N" type. I do not have cooling holes. Please advise on cooling ports......... where, how many, how large? Thanks again!
boxertwin is offline Find More Posts by boxertwin
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:12 AM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
heatproblem

Hi guys

I always try to use larger esc's "then needed" for example my engines are both 10 amp's e-max but the esc's are minimum 25 amp ones from Turnigy. after a good flight the get a little warm...and they or not in the airflow ! My fusilage is completely closed !

Gert
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:19 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
Well after a bit of a break from flying by building a Footy class sailboat (very fun!) we had today a really nice Puddle flying session!
Perfect summer evening conditions with calm wind and no turbulence enabled us to fly close 3 ship formations with our local Puddle Monster gang we started videoing the flights with a mobile phone but unfortunately it was already too dark to get decent shots.. but we are trying to get better ones as soon as we can get to it again !

a happy formation flying MB
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:49 PM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
At the moment the weather in Holland is verry nice, so you'l understand my PT II XL is doing "overtime". Recently i bought an flycamone-2 just for fun, so why not put on the Puddle Twin II XL....and take it for a flight or 2..

enjoy...Gert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLe77M-b0a0
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:44 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi dniweerf, Guys/Girls,

Very good video, cool flying, and I liked the music, very enjoyable to watch, well done sir.

@MB, nice to hear you are back with the Puddles, looking forward to seeing your formation flying pictures, I bet that was great Fun, can you post the video, even if the quality is not so hot? Cheers,
regards to all, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:31 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,342 Posts
right now me and airkid are again on tour with the skyvan in germany, but in august we are back a the puddle(s) and we`ll try to get a decent video of the formation with my flycam2!

i`m starting to crave a new build so i guess my builders blockis wearing of