meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Allright it flies off the water just fine

Full power takeoffs take about 10feet with the full pack ! even thou it was very bumpy and windy controllability and stability were great. Can`t wait to have a no-wind evening to do a dawn patrol
Old Jun 21, 2007, 08:43 PM
Troy, Michigan
Joined May 2006
483 Posts
I love the look of it. Great Job!!
Kyle D. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle D.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:36 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
just for completness sake a pic with the Puddle 66 now in full colours
Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:39 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Well after building a small one i decided to do a big one

200% Puddle Twin... After that one i need to stop and buld something else tho

So far the fuselage is almost finished and the tip floats are finished... it was a bit of a pain to build as the 6mm Depron is quite hard to bend in shape and i had to build the Fuselage in 3 pieces due to the sheet size i had a vailable.

cheers
MB
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:59 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
nice, so you are looking at 160cm or 63 inches on this version? just maidened my 70 inch 6mm insulation foam (fff) cl415. what were you planning on for motors?? I used the bp-21's and was just amazed by the power. what is the cord going to be on this one.
REVKEV6 is offline Find More Posts by REVKEV6
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:41 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
i don`t really know yet... i think i`ll need some weight because at that size it will be a blimp rather than an airplane if the weight stays light that

So i thought initially maybe Speed 400s with Guenther direct drive props and 2200mAH packs... i have a couple of duff packs from my T-Rex that i can rework to 2S if the 3S is too much

Wingchord is pretty huge... almost somwhere around 40cm at the root and 33cm at the tip... so the wing area will be incredible.

What weight is your canadair revke ?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:17 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
holy fat cord! 15" cord is gonna be massive looking. mine is 10" cord. I have no idea on the weight. couldn't even guess. if I were you, I'd go with the bp21 combo's from UH and get the weight from adding batteries! that way you fly longer. the bigger props look more scale as well. My 415 feels pretty heavy but when it gets in the air it just climbs! gotta be close to 1:1 thrust. glides nice too. I'm using two 3cell 1320 packs in parallel for mine. most of my other planes use the smaller pack so I wanted to be able to be more versatile. what are you using for a spar in the wing?? I went with two carbon fiber arrow shafts screwed and glued together no tape on the wing at all and no flexing that I noticed during loops.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:52 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
i thought about a Depron balsa sandwich spar, but wasn`t sure if i would build a one pice wing or make it 2 piece... i`ll have to build as a 2 piece anyway due to the sheet size. I doubt that it actually needs a spar if the weight stays at the projected 2lbs ... it`s going to be a S L O W flyer and the smaller one doesn`t have a spar either and there is no flex in the wings due to the stiffness from the stressed wing skin.
let`s see... it will depend if i can get the wings built from single piece skin... if i can`t bend the nose i`ll have to make it from 2 pieces and i`m pretty surte i`ll build the depron balsa sandwich spar then.

Can you give me a link to the motor/esc combo ?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:42 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
here's that link to to the motors I used. took about a month to get my order in but it was worth it for the prices. https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=4853

good luck with the build! I used a one piece wing that slides into the front and screws in the back. I put the whole plane in the bed of my truck to get to the field (just down the street) for the maiden. I thought when I built it I would be able to put it in the back seat of the truck as one unit but it doesn't fit by about 2 inches.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
jeeez motor AND esc for 14USD !? i just ordered 2.... i`m sure i`ll build planes to use them even if i don`t put them on the PT but so far it looks like i`ll use them here. Thanks mate !
Old Jul 12, 2007, 07:25 AM
massachusetts
Joined Apr 2003
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbomber
jeeez motor AND esc for 14USD !? i just ordered 2.... i`m sure i`ll build planes to use them even if i don`t put them on the PT but so far it looks like i`ll use them here. Thanks mate !

yep, couldn't believe it myself. even comes with two different style mounts that they don't tell you about on the web page. gws style stick mount and a radial firewall mount. I used the stick mount myself. little more versatile if the motors didn't have enough power.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:35 AM
Joined Oct 2006
161 Posts
this plane is so awesome, I want to build one
too, how much depron is needed to make one
i have 4 plates 90x40 cm depron, will this be
enough, to make one ? or do I need more
!@#$%^&*(!) is offline Find More Posts by !@#$%^&*(!)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:12 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
That depends on the size plane you want to build

There`s the original Plans and that will take about 2 of your plates... it depends a bit on the direction of the "fiber" in the depron.. as the plate has one direction it can be bent easily and the other not..
The Puddle 66 will only take 1 plate the very big one you`ll need a lot...
If you run out of depron you can get it in any of the big DIY stores for example a brand called Selitron... it`s not as stiff as the original Depron but that`s not a problem for the PT.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 05:22 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Roland Merk the designer brought out a few more plans, one is a scaled version for the Puddle 66 and also he made a Box fuselage for all those who don`t want to bend the depron
Last edited by meatbomber; Jul 13, 2007 at 05:28 AM.