HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2007, 03:31 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Update... not much to update.. we have had a competition here in Skydive Klatovy and i was flying 9 hours + per day for the last 4 days... and then i was doing an engine change on one of our skyvans so i wasn't very productive on the PT.

I did however copletely messed up the paint job when i put the red waterline colour on and the masking tape i used didn`t seal

so now i have an ugly paintjob to fix and to get the wing cut and glued.
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2007, 05:51 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
allright, after a while at least a bit of an update...

I was musing over how to repair the messed up paint and then when i taped off the bad lines i found if i use black electric tape i can mask the whole bad spots and it even looks decent

This is where i am... still need to get going on the wing and radio installation
Old May 06, 2007, 08:07 PM
Florissant, MO
Joined Mar 2003
357 Posts
Looking good meatbomber. I think your paint job looks pretty good. Keep us updated.
BobK
Skinner46 is offline Find More Posts by Skinner46
Old May 06, 2007, 08:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished plane .

Hard to tell from the photos but the step should be about 1/2 " behind the C of G , maybe it is .

Also if you have any surface weeds in your pond , or lake , you might want to slope the front of the water rudder to slip over them , not pick them up , the drag from one small weed is unbelieveable.
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old May 07, 2007, 05:40 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
thanks for the info lake flyer !

i`ll have to keep that in mind... about the step position, not much i can do that`s what the plans said. There`s quite a few folks building these here in europe and it seems they are all flying fine as is... not that that means it`s right

anyway i got some more stuff done..

Glued the Tip floats and cut the wing ! I stopped after gluing the ribs on to get a real good bond before starting to fold the wing. I used 6mm depron for the ribs instead of the 3mm as per the plans. i think that`s a good idea... gives a lot more area for the glue to hold on.

I put all the bits and pieces as well as all the radio gear and the scale to see if i`m still within the weight prediction. So far with a 3 Cell 900mAh Lipo i`m at exactly 250g
So i guess when everything is finished i`ll have a AUW of about 270g
Old May 08, 2007, 06:04 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
wing and floats finished

starts to look like a plane now !

i hope i`ll get some more of the orange colour... i ran out after spraying 1/4 wing
Old May 10, 2007, 06:11 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Tonight finished servo and rx installation. The Motormounts have also been thought but it`s too late already so engine installation will be done tomorrow (maybe) ... it`s way too windy here anyway so it`s better not to be finished and then tempted to maiden with too much wind
Old May 10, 2007, 07:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,162 Posts
nice. certainly getting closer and closer to the fun part.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old May 13, 2007, 04:21 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Sea Trials

found out that my ESC / Motor / Prop / battery combo isn`t up to the job... at full power a toss launch resulted in a landing about 150ft downrange. Dang... but at least i can attest to the real nice qualities of the wing !! no stall drop, lots of lift, incredible high AOA possible... now i need to get a bigger ESC and try again, current was a 10A and there seems to be a problem with it as it started to stutter at full throttle... maybe it didn`t survive the dunkings in my previous float plane as well as i thought.

oh well so off to the LHS tomorrow to get some shopping done

at least the water handling is awesome ! Even in very high crosswinds the plane tracked perfectly straight

excuse the missing paint on the left wing.. the spray can was empty before the plane was finished but that should also be fixed tomorrow !
Old May 14, 2007, 02:10 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Woohooo i ROWed it today

very very cute, i still need to get a different powertrain as the props / Motor combo i`m using has too much torque andf my rudder travel is a bit too small, but it flies great despite these shortcomings, approaches were awesome, nice smooth power on and just let it settle into the water !

definitely a 2 thumbs up for the plans to Roland Merk !!
Old May 14, 2007, 04:17 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
first flying day

very very manouverable, spin resistant, great plane !!
Old May 19, 2007, 05:51 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Now with new motors (from a Reely Lama) and Gunther direct drives the plane flies PERFECT with only a 2 Cell 730mAh pack

Plane finally finished and also cowls made.

The Plane ROWs in about 10-15 feet with only 75% power with 1/2 throttle you can make super scale looking takeoffs.
Old May 19, 2007, 06:21 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Nicely done ...sort of makes me want to put a grinning teeth shark face on it cartoon character style.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Old May 28, 2007, 05:28 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Some more update:

I have now 3:30 flight time on this plane and it is just perfect
Mine is a bit on the heavy side now but flies with 2 x Speed 280 (From piccolo fp heli) and a 2S 800mAh Pack with Guenther props in direct drive for 13-14 mins of easy cruising around with lots of takeoffs and landings and some taxing around.
The Stall characteristics of this model are outstanding, never had a tip stall and you can really turn it on a dime with power on. A full stall will only be accompanied with a straight ahead nose drop and an immediate recovery with power on or a bit of nose down elevator.
Landings and takeoffs are about as easy as it gets! I had a GWS Beaver before and it is so much easyier with the PT than the Beaver especially with a bit of a breeze.

I can only highly recommend this water plane to everybody, it`s certainly suited for the beginner too

Things i would make differently during the build:

The next one i build (i`ll build another for sure ) i`ll start with the fuselage side skin, bend it and glue the frames into the skin. The bottom of the fuse will come last.
I`d make the windscreen and the aft end of the wing mount with a frame going all the way down to the bottom of the fuse instead of the little triangular pieces you glue in now. I would also add a pice of depron below the horizontal deck inside the fuselage for extra stability in that area. Other than that the plane is perfect.

it`s rugged enough to even survive an ESC fire !! I had a complete loss of controll that had the airplane flying in circles for about 2 mins with about 1/2 power untill it started to trail smoke from the burning ESC melting thru the side of the fuse and the landing the plane made following the loss of power when the ESC was completely gone only caused very little damage. I had to patch 2 holes in the fuse where the ESC had melted thru and that was it

next is the Puddle 66, a 66% scale version of the original !

Cheers
MB
Old Jun 18, 2007, 02:12 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Ok here`s the Puddle 66

Completely built from 3mm Depron according to the big plan just shrunk to 66% scale... well almost completely according to the original as i decided to increase the wingspan a bit, and the wings are no longer built up ones but rather bent plate.

Wingspan 64cm (25.2in)
All up weight 130g (4.6oz)