HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
807 Posts
be carefull with those pics, could imagine Greenpeace invading the spot with RC-Boats protesting against the electric flight

Cool shots !

rawy

the pic below is from our friend Steve Feuz (helifeuz) plse respect the copyright
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:26 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,663 Posts
Quick few questions.
I want to do a 200% model.
What United Hobby motor & esc combo would work best. Link please.
And can someone link to the best plans for making a 200%. Also what should span scale out for 200% so I can double check print outs. I have a 36" plotter so I hope I dont have to tile pages together.
Love this bird.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Feb 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
The original plan comes in a full size sheet (see top of the thread for the file) and that onescaled up 200%, just take 6mm depron or fanfold or wahtever and no further changes are needed (all described in the build)

I use this Combo: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4855
works perfectly with 3S 2200mAh Lipo!

Happy building
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:42 PM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON
Quick few questions.
I want to do a 200% model.
What United Hobby motor & esc combo would work best. Link please.
And can someone link to the best plans for making a 200%. Also what should span scale out for 200% so I can double check print outs. I have a 36" plotter so I hope I dont have to tile pages together.
Love this bird.

Johnboy,
The most efficient/powerful wind in the Towerpro combos is the 2409-18T combo , with 29-30 oz of thrust capable at only 16-17A! See attached for motor data(all thanks go to the guys at 'headsuprc.com' for the detailed prop data on all the towerpro motors!)

Cheers Paul.
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Feb 29, 2008, 06:42 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,862 Posts
I started a 75% sized one for two of the 5 gram motors that didn't self destruct. They are turning 4.5x3 props. I also have the two that were rewound that are turning the 3x2 props. The Depron I have was too brittle and the top popped when I tried to bend it so the top was chopped and a flat plate fitted front and aft. It doesn't look too great, but hopefully it will provide some flying enjoyment.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Feb 29, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 01:45 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
Len, there is 2 things about bending the depron in a tight radius:

A) The "fiber" direction, a sheet will usually bend well in one direction but not so well in the other. Usually if you need a long part bent the plate is not long enough in the direction where it bends easily
B) Put tape on the outside surface of the part you want to bend, then slowly roll it over a rounded table edge or similar, when you`re finished, remove he tape, works very well!
Old Mar 01, 2008, 04:12 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
I am debating about building this plane and also what to power it with. If I build the 100% version I was thinking about a pair of j250's but I have never used brushed motors before, and I don't know of a good source for them or more importantly the speed control. My LHS is absurdly over priced but I will check there tomorrow.

I thought about brushless for the larger plane being these motors http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5428

If I do go brushless, should I buy two brand new brushless speed controls or would one new speed control sync well with one that has been used and abused(identicle models)?

Both my 12 amp and 18 amp speed controls have been dunked in water and no longer give the power on warnings. Tower pro combos would be cheapest, but my largest pack is a 1800 mAH 15C discharge and i doubt that could handle 2 2409-18 motors.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Mar 01, 2008, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2004
91 Posts
bending depron

I have experimented with using a screen rolling insertion tool (it has a small roller on it to insert screen into a window frame) to crease depron on the inside of the curve I want and it works well.
I soak my ESC's and all exposed conections with CorosionX and it works well. I have dunked my ESC's and they are still going strong. Hope this helps. Lewis
Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Lewis
Old Mar 01, 2008, 11:43 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
krupal i don`t knopw i`ve never had the case of using a mix of new and old ESCs, so i cant really help you there.
The 100% version is going vertical with 2ea 24g bruslessmotors from unitedhobbies.
i`m still satisfied however with the speed 280s with guenther props i have in my original puddle.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,400 Posts
The manufacturers recomend two new identical ESCs , or at least two of the same batch ( if you can find that out)
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Last edited by lake flyer; Mar 01, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2008, 12:27 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer
The manufacturers recomend two new identical ESCs , or at least two of the same batch ( if you can find that out)
Thanks Lake Flyer - that is a big help. I would be better off just buying some tower pro combos and more battery packs . I could use a couple 1200 mAH packs anyway, just use them in parallel on the 200% version.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:59 AM
Maidstone - UK
Joined Oct 2006
174 Posts
Here's my 35% (28cm Wingspan) puddle duck....

Going to run it with the Kyhosho minium gear - hoping to get it all connected tonight.
Murdock-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Murdock-Monkey
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:17 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,333 Posts
that is bloody SMALL !!

what`s the weight now ? i have templates for a 50% here and that was allready small
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Depron Puddle (Widgeon) Twin

Looking good Murdoch-Monkey,

Inspired by all you puddle people and the great results on video too, I am having a bash at a puddle widgeon, would like to get to row from our local swimming pool and back in again. Hopefully should be ready to fly soon.
regards to all
Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:24 AM
Maidstone - UK
Joined Oct 2006
174 Posts
Not sure about the weight - still got to invest in some small scales - but really can't see any probs with twin engines - it's a lot lighter than my B25 and that flew like a rocket.
Murdock-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Murdock-Monkey