HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:35 AM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
Question
windy weather for TREX?

I have got my first heli - a TREX 450 SA a few weeks ago.
I've crashed it a couple of times, fixed it and (learn to) fly again. I can hover tail-in and sideways. A few of my crashes were due to windy weather - the heli went high fast and had to bring it back somehow

What do other people consider a windy weather for TREX helis (or other helis)? Of course, it depends on experience - but what is the wind speed other people are comfortable flying?
Personally, I think I have to be careful at 8+ mph and stay grounded at aprox 12+ mph. I fly in a medium size parking lot with trees nearby. Also, I hover in my backyard.
ciprian is offline Find More Posts by ciprian
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:46 AM
HeroInSky
Singapore
Joined Jan 2007
29 Posts
Just try not to fly in 8 mph wind. Its very unpredictable and RC helis don't have the same predictability as real life helis. When weather is bad, even the airport also grounded their planes.
HeroInSky is offline Find More Posts by HeroInSky
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:24 AM
Joined Jan 2006
862 Posts
I've flown in windy conditions, in excess of 20 mph, but I fly better 10 mph or lower. You can really see it bounce after 10 - 15 mph. Not too long ago, I took er up in the wind. When I got it kind of high, the wind just took it away, the heli started tumbling into the wind and drifting further and further away. I don't know how I recovered, but I landed shortly after that
BOING is offline Find More Posts by BOING
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:32 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,603 Posts
When flying in high winds, a high headspeed helps. You also need to have enough negative pitch and matching throttle curve.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:34 AM
Pantera .61 - Yeah Baby!
Joined Nov 2006
290 Posts
Increase your headspeed. T-Rex450 SE flies fine in wind. When you pitch the rotors up into the wind it will act just like any airfoil and be lifted/pushed up and with the wind. Pitch your rotors down into the wind it will be pushed down and away with the wind.

Hold the rotors level with the wind and she'll just stick. True you aren't going to do alot of 3D but you can fly. It's also a good setup to practice auto's.

I'm running 3k headspeed with 325pro wood blades. The hardest part of flying under windy conditions is the takeoff/landing IMHO.

I hang out on helifreak.com so if I don't respond immediately that's why.
jermo is offline Find More Posts by jermo
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:01 AM
springfield,ma
Joined May 2005
809 Posts
13+ and the fun starts to go away. I learned to hover in 10-15 mph wind. Just make sure you have neg col. you don't need to have idle up. that will just give you one more reason to crash. When you get comfortable in FF then get into idle up.
renerc is offline Find More Posts by renerc
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:18 AM
T-REX450SE T-REX600CF
Breckenridge, CO
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
I fly a 450SE with a JGF450TH motor on a 13t pinion with %100 on the throttle curve and I have no problems flying in high winds. I have taken it out in as much as 30+ MPH but it was not really flying more like battling the wind (but still doable). Now, I really don't fly if it is much above 25 MPH.
MartyWakat is offline Find More Posts by MartyWakat
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:10 PM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. Iíll increase the head speed to see if thereís a difference.
I currently fly with 325 wood pro blades. I wonder if 335 CF blades will make a difference regarding the stability of the heli.

The key here is probably to practice more Ė hover high (15+ feet) on low wind weather and then try anything stupid on 10+ mph windy days.

Are bigger helis more stable in the wind? What about TREX 600?

Whatís the side-effect if the blades are not well balanced/tracked? More vibrations and lack of stability?

As a beginner Iím still learning to fly. Iíve read Raddís and John Vuggtís lessons at:
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
http://www.rchelicopterweb.com/Learn...rningToFly.htm
Are there any other good ďlearning to flyĒ websites?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
Pantera .61 - Yeah Baby!
Joined Nov 2006
290 Posts
yes bigger is more stable..
check this out.
http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=36880
Old Apr 26, 2007, 02:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2007
84 Posts
i would engage your idle up to combat the wind, using neg pitch in normal is ok for normal but not good for flying in the wind as you may chop the throttle to low and stop the chopper, best to get used to ideleup and use it to its benefit, you d be surprised how much neg you use to keep it down in windy conditions.
d llim is offline Find More Posts by d llim
Old Apr 26, 2007, 02:42 PM
Pantera .61 - Yeah Baby!
Joined Nov 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d llim
<cut>as you may chop the throttle to low and stop the chopper, <cut>.
don't ever "chop the throttle" when you get into trouble. If you're sure your bird is going to hit the ground hit Throttle Hold. Chopping the throttle is a very bad habit that will cost you lots of cash over the long run.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:35 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
I just had mine out in about 6-8mph, but id trust it, and my skill to 10 or so. What made a problem was the turblulence coming from mine and my neighbors house. One second its blowing one way, and up, the next itll come from behind, and push down, and so on. A steady wind of 10 is easier than a gusty 5-8.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:54 PM
Kirkland, WA
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
Oh, yes, I was told to be careful of gusting winds and watch out for turbulence when I fly in my backyard.
For some reason, I didnít have too much turbulence in my yard Ė probably because Iím a little bit protected by vegetation (trees, bushes) and the house itself. Of course, I donít go 6+ feet high when flying in the yardÖ
But itís way more convenient to fly in the backyard. Iíve hanged a ribbon in a tree and I can watch for winds. Thereís grass in my yard and, since I start flying my heli, the lawn is very well taken care of (low cut grass) :-) However, after a crash at take-off (from grass), I installed my training gear back
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:10 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
Ive flown comfortably in 10mph winds. Anything above that and it gets a little tense. If the wind comes in gusts youre going to battling maintaining a descent hover. You will always be comphensating for the wind gusts. But it will aid in sharpening flying skills and keeping the ole fingers nimble.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:16 PM
I Break Stuff
Joined Feb 2007
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciprian
..after a crash at take-off (from grass), I installed my training gear back
I've been enjoying my backyard also. A square of plywood or low pile carpet serves well as a mobile launcher and landing spot.
gvjackson is offline Find More Posts by gvjackson