HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2008, 12:28 AM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
The little Curtiss FLYS!

Well, went out to the CCRC field this afternoon late figuring the winds would be down and I'd be all alone to witness the lifespan of my little Curtiss.

Get to the field and here's Jake Weaver, Richard Coleman and our latest "member to be" a gentleman named Steve. I gave Steve the .com addresses of this site as well as some others to get him really stirred up in our hobby. He'll make a fine member and pilot!

So Jake and Richard are just starting a trainer/sport plane....and they are on channel 24. What are the chances? They flew around a bit and then handed "the stage" over to see what would happen.

Wind out of the S-SE at about 5 or so, so after performing a complete systems check including range checking (I are the Safety Director ya dig) with the little Berg 4 performing flawlessly, it was time to head down to the west end of the runway and take off cross runway into the wind.

About 65% power and the little Curtiss rolled out about 20 feet and lifted off. Climbing out I heard Richard exclaim ""BEAUTIFUL!" from the shed. I thought to myself "Oh NO! Don't say it!" as the little Curtiss climbed with authority. A click of up and a click of left and she's flying like a Speed 400 Super Cub! Flew around with some altitude for about 10 minutes at about 60% power and then set up for the landing coming out of the North. Kept a little power on and set her down on the runway with a flair at about an inch off the deck. She rolls out a few feet and comes to a stop.

As for maiden flights being rated from 1-10, this one was a 48!

Rube, AKA Dave Huff
ps---if you look in the scale electric planes forum I listed the details, and there is even a build thread and video of the same plane built by a fellow in Arizona....that I wasn't aware of until I had finished mine. Check out the link and the video for sure!
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:08 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Sounds great, I cant wait to see it fly. I went out to the field 2 tuesdays ago just to look around and get some ideas and the aux field looks great where we lined it out. i just gotta get out there now and chalk the runway edges. I might come out this weenkend, my extra 300 needs it wings stretched.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:23 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Cheap Glider RC Conversion

here's my latest contraption. i got bored the other day and remembered seeing an article in a magazine where a club had a build and fly day (only take about 2 hours or less to convert these) and took some cheap foam gliders and converted them to rc. i took it one step further and found a mini glider. yes it actually flew, need more power though.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Yellow Aircraft F-16A

check out my new toy. gonna take a while to build this one.

Yellow Aircraft F-16A
O.S. .91 DF
Dynamax Fan
Spring air retracts, but i am probably going to sell them and get the scale retracts from YA.

http://www.yellowaircraft.com/jets/f16.htm

scroll to the bottom for pics

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...745490&page=19
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
New Planes and plans for others

Here are some photos of my latest. The biplane is the E-flite Ultimate FX 3D kit I purchased from Bernie at the swap meet. It will fly on an E-flight 400 class motor with an 1200 mah Thunder Power LiPo and an E-flite ESC. The other craft is from plans from www.3dfoamy.com and is called the VTO (vertical takeoff).It is constructed using 6 mm Depron. It will fly with a Hacker A30-8XI brushless motor, a Hacker X-70opto-pro ESC and a 2200 mah Thunder Power LiPo. This thing should singe the grass as it passes with that set-up. I am constructing the motor mount now and after this,I will paint it a garish color scheme, attach the control surfaces and the servos and linkages. You will see these at the Magnolia Classic! I, also, have plans to construct an electric autogyro but this will probably not be finished by the "Classic".
chaswilyums is offline Find More Posts by chaswilyums
Last edited by chaswilyums; Mar 19, 2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Mushmeal Memory Problems
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:02 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
nice birds charles. speaking of autogyros, have a look at this one.

http://www.kombat40.com/gyro.html

later,
DJ
Old Mar 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3 Posts
MMMMMM! Wouldn't I just LOVE a set of plans. Combat autogyros? Wow!
Charles
chaswilyums is offline Find More Posts by chaswilyums
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
462 Posts
Ok DJ,

May as well take that little F-16 of yours to the next "Old Timers/Slow Flyers" meet and leave me your doppler radar gun!

MUUUUUUHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839166

Dave the Safety Director
Rube Goldberg is offline Find More Posts by Rube Goldberg
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube Goldberg
Ok DJ,

May as well take that little F-16 of yours to the next "Old Timers/Slow Flyers" meet and leave me your doppler radar gun!

MUUUUUUHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839166

Dave the Safety Director

look at that pile-o-junk, i bet you can't fly it with those old fart reflexes you got. haha
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:40 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
ha

hey dave, i've got something thats gonna put that shrike of yours to shame. behold the mini-piper.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:58 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii
hey dave, i've got something thats gonna put that shrike of yours to shame. behold the mini-piper.
DJ ..

That is a beautiful airplane .. with NIFTY floats, no less !!!!

Where the heck did you come up with a combo like that !?!?

( GREAT job of mounting the floats, I might add !!! )

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
a fella emailed me about it on rcgroups
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:55 PM
Whaddya Mean, I Procrastinate?
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,527 Posts
LOL !!!

You ARE a pistol !!!

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:23 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy
LOL !!!

You ARE a pistol !!!

Russ

haha ahhh crap i didn't realize that was you, thought it was someone else.

thanks again for the bird,
DJ
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:06 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpowellmeii
This is another restoration I am doing on an Su-26 Mr. Max talked me into buying. Here are some before pics.
well the sukhoi isn't going to make the magnolia classic this year. i had some problems with paint (check out the pics) bubbling up and making spider cracks all over the plane. i decided to go ahead and strip the paint off and use monokote. the wings are already monokoted.
Last edited by dpowellmeii; Apr 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM.