Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Alert
RimFire 28-30-950 Outrunner Replacement Shafts!

Just to let you all know that my Great Planes Fokker DVII ARF has survived at least two bad crashes and the lastest has resulted in the RIMFIRE 28-30-950 brushless outrunner to exhibit a slight bend at the output shaft.

These motors (at least this size) does not allow you to use them in reverse mounting mode because there's no screw holds at the back endbell to screw any one-piece prop adapter for reverse mounting method.

Also, it was my shock and surprise that Tower, Great Planes nor Hobbico does not PRESENTLY carry any replacement output shafts for this motor that "They" recommend to buy for with both the Great Planes Fokker DVII and S.E.5a ARF's!!!!

Here's the start of my sagga....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=517

Reply from Tower/Hobbico:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=520

Reply from Airsupport at Hobbico:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=521

My Solution!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=524
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Apr 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:57 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Updates.......

Successful run up of the motor with the Himax replacement motor shaft!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56#post7351017
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:57 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Post Flight Results!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=56&pp=10

We can safely assume that the Himax Motor Output shaft replacement is a successful venture for the RIMFIRE 28-30-950!
Old Apr 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
How can you market a motor and not offer replaements shafts?-Wouldn't that be 1 of the 1st questions for you to ask the supplier??

Well maybe not if screwing the customer is Job #1
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Jan 2007
947 Posts
Hey guapoman2000,

Glad to hear you got a replacement part. I am now in the same boat> A glitch caused my motor go WOT while sitting on a picnic table. Bent the shaft and now she sounds like poo and vibrates. Took motor (inrunner) apart and doesn't seem that the shaft pulls off. I'm sure there's a special way to get it off. If it was easy to take off, the prop could pull it right out of motor. So...how did you remove the shaft from the rotor/armature? I don't see a clip or anything that would indicate where to loosen. Is it possible that some motors have permanant shafts that dont come out the rotor? Don't mean to hijack your thread, just looking for possible answers from those with same problems. Thanks. Oh, motor is a stock 1880kv inrunner.
Ebolavoodoo is online now Find More Posts by Ebolavoodoo
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolavoodoo
Hey guapoman2000,

Glad to hear you got a replacement part. I am now in the same boat> A glitch caused my motor go WOT while sitting on a picnic table. Bent the shaft and now she sounds like poo and vibrates. Took motor (inrunner) apart and doesn't seem that the shaft pulls off. I'm sure there's a special way to get it off. If it was easy to take off, the prop could pull it right out of motor. So...how did you remove the shaft from the rotor/armature? I don't see a clip or anything that would indicate where to loosen. Is it possible that some motors have permanant shafts that dont come out the rotor? Don't mean to hijack your thread, just looking for possible answers from those with same problems. Thanks. Oh, motor is a stock 1880kv inrunner.
RIMFIRE 28-30-950 is an Outrunner and unlike most Inrunners this Outrunner that I was able to replace the output shaft slides off the motor windings as it is totally constructed differently than the inrunner you have problems with.

If the output shaft has the windings glued to the output shaft and the tip of the output shaft where you secure the propeller has a whobble then, your best bet is to have someone (machine shop) attempt to strighten the shaft back as much as possible without causing any additional damage.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 02:01 AM
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Jan 2007
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
If the output shaft has the windings glued to the output shaft and the tip of the output shaft where you secure the propeller has a whobble then, your best bet is to have someone (machine shop) attempt to strighten the shaft back as much as possible without causing any additional damage.
I was afraid of that...thanks g.

jerry
Ebolavoodoo is online now Find More Posts by Ebolavoodoo
Old May 01, 2007, 09:13 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Successful Flight!!!

Here's my Flight Report Summary involving the Himax Replacement Shaft for the RIMFIRE 28-30-950 Brushless Outrunner!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=557

Just an update!

She Flew on 04-30-2007 at the Club RC Field.....and model exhibited just super flying characteristics and power system responded very well.
Old May 02, 2007, 11:53 AM
Airplane Nut
Montana
Joined Jun 2005
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
These motors (at least this size) does not allow you to use them in reverse mounting mode because there's no screw holds at the back endbell to screw any one-piece prop adapter for reverse mounting method.
By reverse mounting, do you mean that the [bell/rotor/whetever-you-prefer-to-call-it] is facing forward, and the triangular mounting bracket is to the rear? I have the same motor on my Goldberg Shock 3D, and that's precisely how it's mounted. I just loosened the set screws on that little brass collar, as well as the two 'prop saver' screws on the rotor. Then I slid the shaft out toward the rotor until it was flush with the little brass collar on the back of the motor, and I tightened all screws. I just use a simple collet-type prop adapter on the shaft.

It sucks that GP doesn't offer spare parts, but I do have a few 3mm shafts on hand that will probably work if the unmentionable happens.

Sorry to see what happened to your Fokker, but it's great that it's flying again.
dfalcon is offline Find More Posts by dfalcon
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Just an update to indicate that my Great Planes Fokker DVII is still flying with super results and with the repaired RIMFIRE 28-30-950 using the replacement shaft from Himax (Maxx Products!).

The Fokker DVII has about 15 flights using this replacement shaft and no problems and nothing to note about any ill effects, great power response!

Carlos