Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:25 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Discussion
New Goldberg Pitts P-12

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNRXB9&P=G

Just noticed this and it looks very good. I was just about to consign myself to get the GP ultimate if reports were positive but I like the look of this one alot better. If anybody can find any more specs on it, please post them.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
never mind...answered my own question:

http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/12026.htm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:50 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,502 Posts
At Toledo CG told me that Tower should have them in three weeks.
It looked really good and the model comes completely apart unlike the Ultimate.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:21 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Thanks for the info. The specs on the website seemed pretty porky but it does have a fair amount of wing area. Did they have it on display at the show?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:44 PM
Justin Owen ~ MoJo Aviation
Grayson, GA
Joined Nov 2006
46 Posts
Me likey!!! Will a 400 920 KV outrunner power it?
stinger40 is offline Find More Posts by stinger40
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2006
856 Posts
Looks good at 477 squares. Rudder looks a wee bit small but it looks like I might need to try a goldberg plane for nostalgias sakes.
hemituda is offline Find More Posts by hemituda
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:07 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I have not seen the plane but based on the specs the 400 outrunner would be way too small. Park 480 size or larger would be the minimum I would look at. I have the CG chipmunk and have been really impressed with it. The plastic wheelpants were crappy but the plane flies really well and the covering job is perfect and very intricate.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:39 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
It a little bigger than the GP E-Ultimate (33.5" vrs 38") but a lot heavier - 31 ounces vrs 46 ounces.

That makes the wing loading 13.9 for the Pits vrs 11.7 for the Ultimate. Cubic loadings are a closer spread - 7.8 vrs 7.1.

I like the size of the Pits, but Im still leaning towards the Ultimate due to the weight differences.

Plus I already have the 160 sized GP Ultimate on electric power - if I could figure out how to fly them both at the same time in formation....

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Apr 26, 2007, 05:04 AM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
I Checked The Tower Hobbies Website & The Pitts P-12 Is Now In Stock @ Tower! Cheers:JP
Yardbee is online now Find More Posts by Yardbee
Old May 02, 2007, 01:16 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Ordered mine today...

will post pics when it arrives.
Old May 02, 2007, 04:49 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Get them both, How can you not want more than one bipe?

I could not see the ailerons on the photo, are they full span, and do they have more cord than scale? It could make the difference in flying style, the Ultimate looks like it will be a great 3D bird. I prefer the looks of the Pitts, love that big round cowll

It will also be interesting to see what batteries they are useing to get the 41 oz flying weight. If it is 3s 2100Mah size packs then short flights and short battery life. 4s or 2700Mah size packs with a 40-45 amp esc would be my thought with a 13'' prop

It is great to see some choices in biplanes that look like they will really fly. I have ben scratch building my own for a couple of years, but these may make me open up the wallet just because

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old May 02, 2007, 10:36 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I downloaded the instuctions and the ailerons are not full span. They seem to be of decent size though. There is a warning in the back of the manual about the extreme roll rate potential, but I guess that is all relative to what you are used to. The manual shows a 2820 mounted and it lists in the specs that the plane was test flown with PQ 3300 XP packs. It says it need servos with 27+ oz/in torque which seems maybe a bit overkill as HS-65's I do not think are that powerful...at least on 4.8v. The wheel pants do appear to the be the same crappy plastic as the ones on the chippy so I will have to start looking for some replacements eventually and/or find a way to strenghten these. There is plenty of room in the fuse and overall it looks to be built fairly light. I would think that the weight could be lowered substantially from the published values with a smaller motor and 2100-2500 size packs.
Old May 04, 2007, 10:58 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
What ?you have not got it yet?

I am useitn Hitec 81's in my 54oz Weeks Solution, I did not feel comfortable with the 65's. I even went to the metal gears on rudder and elevator after stripping gears in flight.

Only one thing can be better than 2 wings and a round cowell, and they wont wet us talk about that in the groups

can't wait to see picks and vids, good luck with the build

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old May 04, 2007, 01:22 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
There is a chance it may show up tomorrow but USPS seems to be running a bit slower lately so I am not holding my breath. It shipped out priority thursday. In the manual it shows futaba 3110's in the fuse. I was under the impression these are about the size of 55's and just have a bit more torque.
Old May 05, 2007, 10:39 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Guess what showed up today?

Just got around to unwrapping it a minute ago. It is a decent size. The cowl is about 3/4 the size of the EF yak for a sense of scale. The covering job is very well done...not quite as nice as the CG chipmunk which was flawless, but better than alot of others I have seen (8.5 out of 10). The chippy cowl does not have any glass in it and is just resin...makes it fragile. The pitts cowl is glass and looks every bit as durable as any from other manufacturers...Maybe even a bit over done, but I like it that way. I am also pleased to say the wheel pants look to be useable and are much heavier duty than the plastic ones on CG previous models. Have to go get started now.