HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2002, 09:11 AM
ACE_McCOOL
n/a Posts
Power Pacer Battery charger/discharger

Hi:

This is my first official post so I hope you'll bear with me if I screw up along the way.

Does anyone remember the "Power Pacer' battery charger /discharger [ from the 1970's ] made by L.R. Taylor & Co.

It's a great little machine but unfortunately it's set up to do tx / rx packs and not the flight packs we are using today .

I would like to convert mine to do 7 cell packs [ or have someone do it for me ] but I don't have a clue as to how to do it . I can't find any info on the net about it or the company.

Can anyone help me ?

Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2002, 03:11 PM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,176 Posts
Since you would be wanting it to charge at completely new values and much higher amperage it would require a substantial makeover I would think.

Better to seek out a modern day charger for your flight packs.

What this device did beside charging was to discharge and completely "cycle" the Tx and Rx cells in an age (the 70's and 80's) when cycling was all the rage to destroy the killer "memory" effect that NiCds were supposed to have. Nowadays that theory of memory effect is debatable and many modellers feel it's not an important issue with NiCds and others change their Tx cells to NiMh which they claim positively have no memory.....

It's sort of like buying the old die cut kits on ebay......unless you are partial to a particular kit, you are far better off to buy the new laser kit cuts that are available today and are designed for electric flying .....

...it all comes under the heading of...."progress"......!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Oct 22, 2002, 07:03 AM
ACE_McCOOL
n/a Posts
You know Bill sometimes a different perspective is what is needed and after considering what you said ,I have to agree; it's Garbage !
Thanks for your help.

Ace
Old Oct 22, 2002, 10:34 AM
Canada's East Coast, "An Ocean Playground"
Joined Apr 2002
4,176 Posts
..garbage?

Well that might be too strong a word....I think they were a good product in their day......I have all the RCM mags from '76 to '86 and I think they advertised nearly every month..! So it must have done the job, which was to accurately discharge the Tx and Rx Nicds down to precisely 1.1 volt per cell (I think), and then bring them back up to their full potential. If it still does that, it has some value. It probably would result in a Tx battery lasting longer.
I don't like the fact that the Tx battery usually does not get fully discharged too often like the other packs we use, so after a dozen uses or so I will turn it on and leave it sit on the bench where I can see it for several hours to let it get down into the yellow or red zone and then give it a good 16 hour charge. I think I will replace the 600mah NiCd with a 1600 NiMh pack over the winter. That would give both a very long operational time for the Tx and eliminate any worry about memory, at least that's what the "experts" say..!

Bill
retiredVTT is offline Find More Posts by retiredVTT
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:39 PM
ACE_McCOOL
n/a Posts
In it's day, definetly not garbage. In fact one of its nice attributes was telling you how much was left in your pack after flying and early warning on bad cells or faulty connections. But it is after all 20+ yrs old and very out of date .The lack of responses here is probally a good indicator that it will be difficult to find information on it or someone interested in playing with it. I have adequate chargers now and I really only wanted to be able to cycle 6/7 cell packs for diagnosis or charge new NIMH packs nice and slow. Time to cycle it!

Ace.