HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:15 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Question
What paint matches the GWS TigerMoth 400 Yellow?

Looking for a paint, preferably a water based acrylic that anybody may have found that matches the GWS Tiger Moth yellow. I'm assuming the GWS Pico Tiger Moth and the GWS Tiger Moth 400 both use the same yellow.

Thank you,

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
I've found blue that matches my GWS Corsair and silver that matches my GWS Mustang at Michael's Craft Store. Just bring a peice of the the painted foam and head over to the latex paint section. There are literally 100's of different shades of paints of just about every color, you are bound to find a close match. At about a buck a bottle there's no big investement needed.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsky
I've found blue that matches my GWS Corsair and silver that matches my GWS Mustang at Michael's Craft Store. Just bring a peice of the the painted foam and head over to the latex paint section. There are literally 100's of different shades of paints of just about every color, you are bound to find a close match. At about a buck a bottle there's no big investement needed.

Jimsky
Hi Jimsky,

Thank you for the reply! I assume you meant to say "acrylic" and not latex. I'll head to WalMart where they have the same basic kinds of paint and see if holding the sample piece up to bottle gets me a decent match.

Thanks again,

Chuck
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
Hollywood,Fl
Joined Mar 2004
41 Posts
Tiger Moth Yellow

I keep on hand a bunch of water based markers to touch up GWS Models.I find them at Walmart,Sams,BJ"s and most craft stores.

Jerry
Jerry Ledford is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Ledford
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Ledford
I keep on hand a bunch of water based markers to touch up GWS Models.I find them at Walmart,Sams,BJ"s and most craft stores.
Hi Jerry,

Yep, I just bought a whole pack of Sharpie Markers in a rainbow of colors. But this is for a screwed up paint job I did. I'm actually going to have to repaint about 1/4 of the top surface of the wing because the design I came up with looks atrocious... LOL

If I can get it back to the original color, I'm just going to leave it at that. I just tried some Folk Art brand yellow, which seems (so far) to be matching it. I'll know as soon as it's dried, I guess.

Chuck
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:52 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
Looking for a paint, preferably a water based acrylic that anybody may have found that matches the GWS Tiger Moth yellow. I'm assuming the GWS Pico Tiger Moth and the GWS Tiger Moth 400 both use the same yellow.

Thank you,

Chuck
Hello, I've just finished building a TM400 and am awaiting light winds for the maiden. I wanted to colour in the control surface cuts, probably like yourself, to make what is such a pretty plane even prettier!. I found that a yellow highlighter pen (is this a "sharpie") didn't give a good colour match. What DID give a very good match is yellow inkjet printer ink (from a refill bottle). You have to experiment with dilution, wetting the surface to be painted first, wiping the painted surface with a sponge etc. Of course this is water based, so no problem with foam, and is zero cost if you already have the inks, not to mention zero weight. I have used printer inks for all sorts of projects - wood stain, touching up scuffed but precious shoe leather etc. Of course you can mix ANY colour using the syringes in the 3 colour kits. What I have not (yet) tried is sparaying any large surface with these inks.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999
Hello, I've just finished building a TM400 and am awaiting light winds for the maiden. I wanted to colour in the control surface cuts, probably like yourself, to make what is such a pretty plane even prettier!. I found that a yellow highlighter pen (is this a "sharpie") didn't give a good colour match. What DID give a very good match is yellow inkjet printer ink (from a refill bottle). You have to experiment with dilution, wetting the surface to be painted first, wiping the painted surface with a sponge etc. Of course this is water based, so no problem with foam, and is zero cost if you already have the inks, not to mention zero weight. I have used printer inks for all sorts of projects - wood stain, touching up scuffed but precious shoe leather etc. Of course you can mix ANY colour using the syringes in the 3 colour kits. What I have not (yet) tried is sparaying any large surface with these inks.
Hi Richard,

Welcome to RC Groups, and Thank You for the great tip!!! I'll check it out ASAP.

Thanks again!

Chuck