HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:19 AM
mus
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Discussion
Methanol & Castor oil

Could someone give me some information about different kinds of methanol
and castor oil?and which type is adequite for engines?
mus is offline Find More Posts by mus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:47 AM
inconceivable
Joined Sep 2006
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus
Could someone give me some information about different kinds of methanol
and castor oil?and which type is adequite for engines?
Search forum as it is a popular subject and is often ranted about especially if you are into synthetics like myself, really gets em going!

Maggie.
margaret.roberts is offline Find More Posts by margaret.roberts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:20 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,082 Posts
There's only one type of methanol but there can be different amounts of impurities. The kind that's usually used is very pure at (from memory) around 99.8% pure. That means virtually no water. The one exception that I know of is Shell Racing A which has 3% acetone added to it but this isn't a bad thing at all. Acetone reduces the ability of methanol to suck water out of the air and has an affect on fuel similar to low amounts of nitro.

The only castor that shouldn't be used in engines is medicinal castor because it may have additives (like possibly sugar) to make it taste better. It's specifically warned against in the Merco instructions.

Of the other castors there's 2 main types for lubrication and they only differ in the methods used to extract it. The first (and best) is what's known as AA castor which basically means it's the oil that's only been extracted by pressing it out of the bean. The second type uses an extra method of extraction to get the remaining small amount of oil from the bean and that's with chemicals (xylene is one of them). This type lubricates just as well as pressed oil but traces of the chemicals remain and cause white flakes in very cold weather which could block filters and needle valves.

BTW, all castor is degummed as part of the refining process after extraction.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
Bakers AA is usually the grade of Castor Oil used. In a pinch you could go to the pharmacy (Chemist to you) and get some medicinal Castor Oil, it will work, just not as good as the Baker's stuff. And yes, bakeries do use Bakers AA Castor oil. Not commonly found now days, but may yet be available from food supply houses.

If you can buy premixed fuels, as they usually have other additives to improve combustion and prevent rust. If you can get the premixed fuel, then you gotta mix your own.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:16 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip01
Bakers AA is usually the grade of Castor Oil used. In a pinch you could go to the pharmacy (Chemist to you) and get some medicinal Castor Oil, it will work, just not as good as the Baker's stuff. And yes, bakeries do use Bakers AA Castor oil. Not commonly found now days, but may yet be available from food supply houses.

If you can buy premixed fuels, as they usually have other additives to improve combustion and prevent rust. If you can get the premixed fuel, then you gotta mix your own.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Chip
Quote "If you can get the premixed fuel, then you gotta mix your own". unquote.

If you cannot get the premixed fuel, then you do not have to mix your own.

You can go without fuel.

There is always these days the availibility of electron motion in electrical circuits.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,423 Posts
C'mon, Zor, give Chip a break - he accidentally omitted the NOT. I'm sure he meant:

If you can buy premixed fuels, as they usually have other additives to improve combustion and prevent rust. If you can not get the premixed fuel, then you gotta mix your own.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ivanc; Apr 24, 2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:25 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
C'mon, Zor, give Chip a break - he accidentally omitted the NOT. I'm sure he meant:

If you can buy premixed fuels, as they usually have other additives to improve combustion and prevent rust. If you can not get the premixed fuel, then you gotta mix your own.

Ivan
Hi Ivan and Chip

Ivan you are absolutely correct, I should have given Chip a break.

I certainly did not mean to break him.

Chip,

Will you kindly accept my apologies?
I am deeply sorry as I did not mean to hurt your feelings.

I am a guy with a very thick skin. Some guys have posted very insulting and inappropiate wording in this forum aimed staight at me and with my name written.

Ivan is a mild mannered fellow and judging from his postings a more intelligent individual than I am.

Thanks Ivan for having brought this up.

Chip, I should not have brought that up. I realize now that it was just an overlook.

I am on my knees with my hands together above my head.
I am genouinely sorry for my post.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:10 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,667 Posts
Guys, I aint broke, and all you lectric fellows can charge up. Watched an LiPoly battery burn up at the field the other day. Just can not get into that electric stuff. Got a couple but . . . I like the smell of Castor oil even put a little in my weed eater mix.

Yur right, I left the "Knot" out, brain moves faster than the fingers.

But everybody understood, that's the beauty of the Internet. You get advice from all over the world.

Cheers,

Chip
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01