HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2002, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2002
22 Posts
Tiger Moth,first flight:Not to Good!!

Well got my first flight under my belt. I think I had the CG all wrong. I didn't really carfully measure it. I just kind of set the wings on two tall cups and questimated. I thought it was going to be way nose heavy so I added some weight to the tail.

So I went out at night in a very light drizzle and found a big lighted empty parking lot. Not to smart! I know but I just couldn't wait. Anyways set her down and prayed then gave her full throttle. She took off, but I thought it was a pretty long take off roll for what I have heard about this plane. As she started climbing I immediately realized she was tail heavy. I was having to give down elevator to try and keep her level. Then she just started kind of going all over the place like she had a mind of her own. I wasn't flying, the plane was flying it's self and I was just fighting to keep the wings level. I started easing off the throtltle and began trying to fight her down in one piece. I really couldn't control the direction she was going in but I was able to kind of keep her wings level. I finally got her down, and not to hard. Only damage was a broken spoke on the landing gear wheel,(who didn't see that coming).

Anyways came home and took the wings off. Re-positioned the servos. Got rid of the weight that I put in the tail. I think I have it at the CG now.

I am sure better days are to come.

Wish me luck
Wrff
Wrff is offline Find More Posts by Wrff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2002, 01:52 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Yep, sounds tail heavy, they fly like they have a mind of their own when way tail heavy. I guess that's how you learn about this stuff. trial and error.

At least there's not any major damage. I'm thinking about getting a TM.

Hang in there and let us know how the next flight goes. I've had good luck flying light models in an area with some tall cushy grass to crash into. Seems to make a better cushion then pavement!!Good luck!!--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Oct 21, 2002, 02:18 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Here's a dead simple CG balancing tool: your fingers. I just hold the plane up with my hands and use my pointy fingers to find the balance point. Sure, it may be off by 1/8" either direction, but it's accurate enough

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 21, 2002, 05:45 AM
Oxymoron: Rap Music
Upstate NY
Joined Sep 2002
791 Posts
Prop

Make the sure GWS logo is on the front of the prop Double checking never hurt anyone!

GForce
GForceStress is offline Find More Posts by GForceStress