Discussion
Top performance from a man who would be POTUS

A diplomat in the making

Quote:
Agence France-Presse
Washington, April 20, 2007
First Published: 15:48 IST(20/4/2007)
Last Updated: 16:00 IST(20/4/2007)

Republican US presidential contender John McCain turned to popular music to illuminate the debate on the Middle East, singing at the suggestion that the United States "bomb, bomb, bomb" Iran.

"That old Beach Boys song, 'Bomb Iran'?" McCain said in response to a question about US policy on its diplomatic pariah at an electoral campaign meeting in the state of North Carolina.

His questioner had struck an anti-Iran tone, asking him when the United States was going to "send an air mail message to Tehran," drawing cheers from the crowd.

McCain then briefly sang "Bomb, bomb, bomb" -- an adapted snippet of the rock 'n' roll band's refrain "Ba-ba-ba, Ba-Barbara Ann" -- winning laughter from the audience.

The performance was filmed and posted by users on the video-sharing website YouTube. One posting presented an edited version of the clip, with added photographs of children suffering from injuries cause by violence in Iraq.

McCain's campaign spokesman Kevin McLaughlin told ABC news that the senator "was just trying to add a little humor to the event."
http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryP...-b43ff3595e4e&
gtstubbs is offline Find More Posts by gtstubbs
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:49 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
McCain has about as much chance of becoming POTUS as my dog does.

His ditty was in poor taste given his station and presidential ambitions, but funny nonetheless. Some people just like to remain switched and locked in 'serious' mode too much. It gives them more opportunities to play 'victim' I suppose.

Funny how "Hindustan Times' or our LTUPers abroad don't complain when it's Iran publicly vowing to bomb us or Israel (except they aren't smiling when they do so).

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Last edited by ElectRick; Apr 23, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:00 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
Funny how "Hindustan Times' or our LTUPers abroad don't complain when it's Iran publicly vowing to bomb us or Israel (except they aren't smiling when they do so).

Rick
That was my very first thought when I heard about McCain's little joke.

Islamofascists make DIRECT threats they intend to ACTUALLY carry out against the US and the West, and it hardly makes the news.
McCain makes an obviously silly joke that had absolutely NO intent of direct action, and all of a sudden, it's we in the West who are the bad guys.

What I also don't get is that the Leftists who made a big deal about McCains comment and how it compares to direct threats made by our enemies aren't the least bit embarrassed about THEIR behaviour.

HF
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
Cat Rack
Lyle, WA
Joined Dec 2000
1,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick

Rick
that right. abamanabinahoojidad or whatever can say israel should be wiped off the face of the earth, and the left hardly says boo about it. oh, he doesn't really mean it they say, don't worry about him they say, he's just the same as us, they say.

mccain is goofing around and my god, he's armageddon it or something. criminy.
MtnGoat is online now Find More Posts by MtnGoat
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:59 PM
Smoke gets in your eyes
Joined Apr 2007
191 Posts
I dont think he has a chance any ways.
2SMOKINBARRELS is offline Find More Posts by 2SMOKINBARRELS
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:10 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
abamanabinahoojidad is an acknowldged wacko, but he's their wacko. Evidently the way to deal with him is to strut about in a flight suit chanting "axis of evil" and "bring it on", no?

McCain, otoh, is our wacko and a presidential hopeful. We should be concerned about quirky comments. Unless, of course, you have become complacent with a buffoon as president. I don't think we need another one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushism

http://www.slate.com/id/76886/

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:31 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2000
8,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
McCain, otoh, is our wacko and a presidential hopeful. We should be concerned about quirky comments. Unless, of course, you have become complacent with a buffoon as president. I don't think we need another one.
If one should be concerned about quirky comments, they'd cover the 'quirky' comments from both sides, just as widely. Of course, based on the reaction's we see here from time to time in defense of the likes of Kerry, only the (R)'s make bad statments, or so it seems.
Arbo is offline Find More Posts by Arbo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:42 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Throughout McCain's career, he has made a habit of being in the wrong postion at the wrong time and then saying the wrong thing about it.

Hey Mr. Arizona, how is that getting the money out of poltics (ie campaign finance reform) working? Not too successful from my vantage point.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff