SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
Cheshire, UK
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
Discussion
GWS Spitfire or Parkzone Spitfire

I am after a comparison from people who have built and who fly both models.

I am unsure which one to go for. I am pretty much set on a Spitfire and these two seem to have the best support and availablity in the UK.

I will buy the airframe only for either model as I will use my own rx, esc and battery. I do like the idea of the Parkzone because it takes LiPo batteries straight away, as I already have suitable LiPo batteries and a charger from my Heli's.

I am confident in my flying ability and I want to own a spitfire, I love the design of them.

Thanks

Neil
no8080 is offline Find More Posts by no8080
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,452 Posts
How much flying experience do you have?? I own the PZ Spitfire... and I love it. I have never flown the GWS Spitfire (but I have the GWS ME109.... along with a half doxen other GWS planes)... for ease of build and stable flights I love the PZ Spit... even stock (I bought the whole thing and swapped out RX/ESC with my own) it flys VERY well and has more then enough power. (I did a little review in park flyers forum)
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:35 PM
What stalls falls
Joined Jul 2006
1,826 Posts
No8080

No question in my mine, ParkZone Spitfire. It will not tip stall like all GWS birds that I have flown.
Larry
Ta152 is offline Find More Posts by Ta152
Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
you are talking about hours of work for the GWS bird to compared to 15 minutes (plus battery charging time) for the PZ bird. PZ is pretty much assured to fly out of the box assuming you have sufficient stick time under your belt... GWS spit takes some time and effort to build and balance correctly.... and wont be as pretty as the PZ unit without lots of work.
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:09 PM
Cheshire, UK
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
I have a fair few hours flight time under my belt, but this would be my first warbird.

I enjoy the building of a model as much as using it, so the build time is not really an issue.

I guess I am after finding out which one is a better quality overall.

I did not realise the GWS model tip stalled, so that is a big factor for me, I do not want unpredicable flight characteristics, I want a plane that is as good at slow speed as it is at fast speeds.

I believe from the writeups and posts the motor in the GWS is a little underpowered for the plane, whereas the stock PZ motor runs well on LiPo's. I will problably end up running aBL outrunner in either model eventually, but I would like to stick with a stock setup until I am happy with the plane.

Can you upgrade the PZ to 4ch with a rudder? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Neil
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:59 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
if you have a radio you can order the PZ spit as an airframe only and supply your own electronics; thats the easiest way to go 4 channel. Having helped my brother build his GWS spit I would say its really tough to compare the 2 as ARF kits.... the GWS is definitely more work to get the CG correct and fit and finish are shall we say somewhat lacking...... in my experience a painted GWS kit will require lots of touch up and if you plan to glass it your painting it anyways. In terms of power the new GWS kits are coming with 400's instead of the 350 so that is less of an issue.... it really depends on how much you want to put into it.
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
Joined Mar 2007
95 Posts
I've never flown the parkzone,but I recently finished building a GWS Spitfire and am very happy with the quality and performance. Like you I enjoy buiding as much as flying and with a GWS you can really personalize and deviate from instructions if you like. I chose a specific paint scheme and was able to use walmart acrylic paint to get a nice finish and acurate markings. It really looks nice if you sand and spackle the foam before paint. As for flight characteristics, I built light and used the stock 350 engine with a 2cell 1350mah lipo and a 9x7 prop. With this setup there is plenty of power and some good aerobatics are achievable. I fly without landing gear and when its time to come she glides very nice with no tip stall tendancies at all. As mentioned you do have make sure you can get the battery all the forward to get the c.o.g. right, but other than that no major modifications are needed. Have fun with it either way,

Garrison
GTace is offline Find More Posts by GTace
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,452 Posts
I killed my GWS ME109 on the maiden flight... all was well for the first 2 minutes till I slowed her down for a low level pass... tip stalled and resulted in a inverted nose in... now my PZ Spitfire is a blast... I wish I had a way to load the video of my last flight... incredable... tonight I tried to fly in 15 mph winds... I dont recommend that as it was very hairy and I only made 4 passes before I landed (safely). The PZ will be easier to fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:35 AM
Cheshire, UK
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
Thanks everyone for their opinions.

I am leaning towards the PZ model, as I already have my own 3s LiPo's and charger from my heli, so I want to use them in the plane.

It has been a little while since I last flown a plane, I have been flying helis for a few years now, so the easy flight charactistics of the PZ sounds like a good way to get back in to planes.

I will go with my own radio gear anyway, as I prefer two sticks on a tx. Same as my heli's and cars.

I could do with finding a one for all TX now, rather than one for my helis and one for my car. Anyone know of a model? Without it costing the earth?

The airframe version of the PZ sounds ideal, as I would stick with the stock motor to begin with and then go BL after a while. This should increase the performance to a good level.

thanks again

Neil
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:44 AM
Bromsgrove
Joined Jul 2004
379 Posts
If you have a T Rex size heli then I reccomend the GWS spit. Get a BP21 outrunner and esc for very little money, mount the esc inside the cowl (I directwired to the motor) and mount the lipo right up to the end of the cowl. Mine flies superbly well like this with long flight times (I am yet to drain a pack all the way!), tons of power and great aerobatics. If you keep the elevator throw sensible and bring the CG slightly forwards then there are no nasty habits that I can find and it will still flick roll quite nicely (not very scale though). If you can get the unpainted slope glider version (sussex model centre sell these for just 18) it builds into a very cheap model. They paint dead easy with acrylics. Mine is painted with cheap acrylic paint from bookscene (I think), thinned with water and painted on with a household emulsion brush!

Rich

If you want more information then just ask!!!
rich_hodgetts is offline Find More Posts by rich_hodgetts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:35 AM
Cheshire, UK
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
I am in to mini helis at the moment, although I do have a .30 sized nitro shuttle model, but I hardly used that anymore.

I did not know about a cheaper 18 GWS one. Cost is an issue for me as the wife is not too keen on me spending more money on RC models, she thinks I have enough. As I keep saying, there is no such thing as enough.

I own a Shuttle ZX nitro heli, a HB CP2 (which I love) and my latest car is a savage X SS monster truck (I built this from scratch).

I do own a few touring cars as well, but these don't get used that much any more.

My painting skills leave much to be desired, but I do like the idea of having an unpainted plane I can mod easily. Twin mounted servos for the ailerons comes striaght to mind.

I have loads of LiPo batteries in various sizes, but they are all 3s packs, so 11.1V is a must for me. I have 1000mah and some 2200mah models, so flight time for a plane should be acceptable.

I am stuck between this two models, unless someone can tell me of a better Spitfire model available in the UK??

Thanks

Neil
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:08 AM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2002
66 Posts
In my experience the little GWS warbirds fly better if the CG is placed 5 - 10 mm ahead of the stated point. I stacked a Mustang when I got the CG too far back - even before then the plane had been very sensitive in pitch, that should have been a clue. When I repaired it and flew again with the CG just slightly back it was extreamly pitch sensitive, so I cut the motor and attempted to glide back. That was OK until I turned it onto finals. I repaired it and moved the CG 10mm or so forward. Then it flew like an arrow with a brushless motor/lipoly set up. Still plenty of control with elevator.
A friends Spitfire also benefitted from moving the CG forward. Other Clubmates fly the ME109 and Corsair - all fly great, and have proved mostly repairable after impomtu combat sessions!
If you decide to give the GWS Spitty a try, set it up with the CG at least 6mm ahead of whre the instructions say and go from there! Also keep it light!
Flywellnz is offline Find More Posts by Flywellnz
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:23 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,452 Posts
The PZ Spit is made for a TP 3s 2100 lipo... fits perfectly into the holder and the CG is dead on... I flew it in 15-18 mph winds yesterday... granted for only 2 minutes as she was a handful in that much wind but I brought her home safely... the PZ Spit wont let you down. I am a huge fan of GWS but in this case I have to give the PZ the thumbs up... the spit simple is a blast to fly and very easy to fly. Your first flight out you will be doing rolls and loops and outside loops without a problem... and she will fly inverted... all on the stock brushed motor... no upgrading need on this plane... and I usually HATE brushed motors but I wont waste the money going BL on her cause she doesnt need it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:42 AM
Cheshire, UK
Joined Mar 2006
68 Posts
I love hearing all the different opinions from people, it really does help. It nice to see people support their own choice and not get in to arguments about which is best. This is what makes this hobby great.

I have a choice then between the more expensive PZ which is pretty much a complete and a capable flyer, or the cheaper GWS that will require more work to make it as good as the PZ. So it's a time Vs cost issue.

I will let everyone know which one I pick up, as I am looking to get it soon ready for summer.

I just need to get a new tx that covers all of my models rather than having one tx for every model. I now have a good selection of transmitters.

Neil
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:02 AM
Bromsgrove
Joined Jul 2004
379 Posts
My GWS Spit arrived at 9:30 am and with a few simple mods and some fuselage tidying was flying the same day. Easy to build in a fairly short time. Choose a simple paint scheme and thats easy too!

Rich
rich_hodgetts is offline Find More Posts by rich_hodgetts