HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:30 AM
The Dry side of New Orleans
Joined Mar 2007
522 Posts
Discussion
Polk Hobby 72Mhz or a 2.4ghz system

Just getting started into the hobby, I like the idea of not having to worry about crystals or shooting down someone else when I turn my TX on.

I am prepared to spend about 200 bucks on a TX/RX combo and have narrowed it down to either the Polk Hobby Tracker II (heard to many bad things about the III) or one of the 2.4ghz systems out there.

I like to keep my planes close by and just above 40ft, currently I'm flying on a 72mhz system that came with my wing dragon, and plane on flying park flyers only. Here's my thought process on this issue so far, any advice, tips etc are greatly apreciated.

From the looks of it, the Polk gives you the 2.4ghz way of life with out the high cost of recievers, at 50-60 a RX littly foamies get expensive. My only concern so far is, yes the Tracker II will scan channels and only use one thats available but what if someone else turns on a TX that uses a crystal. How is the Tracker II going to handle that?

Also, I know with my cordless phone, the farther I get from the base the more static I get, on my 900mhz system I can go next door w/o any problems, on my 2.4ghz system, I'm lucky if I can get out the back door w/o losing voice.

Is this something I should be worried about? One of the guys I fly with seems to have no problems getting his plane fairly high up there with out any loss of control so maybe I'm completely off base (I hope so).

Forgive my rambleings...
skotman is offline Find More Posts by skotman
Last edited by skotman; Apr 23, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:44 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
Have Trakker III and flown ALL my Foamys plus Aero Tow Gliders + + +

I must have about 15 planes programmed into it !

Yep, the programming is a PAIN but the Price is RIGHT !

And when one drives hours and hours to get to an Aero Tow event
the ability to pick an unused Freq is so sweet ! ! !

It seems to work just fine with my CCBerg Rx's as well as the Polk 6ch small Rx
and my Futabas and a gws and a coupla Hitechs

I just hope and pray that they get their programming ACT together in the next version.

I also swapped out the 900ma std Tx bat for some 2700ma AA Nimh's !
I can use the existing Charger and get LOTS more TX time, cheaper than lipos :-))))

In my part of the Columbia River Valley I CANT EVEN USE my 2.4Ghz Cameras ! ! !
It's so noisy on 2.4Ghz - I get Lots of video interferrance even at shorter ranges.
I suspect either ocean-going or river-boat radars or Cell towers trying to penetrate
deep into the valley to achieve "coverage" !
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2007
522 Posts
Didn't think about noise on the 2.4ghz freq. We fly along the Mississippie River just down river of New Orleans where the inbound ships sit and wait if there are no berths open.

I've read lots of bad things about the Tracker III, but I guess if your busy flying with it you don't have time to write good things about it huh?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:08 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
The new Futaba 2.4gb should overcome any problems, such as the ones you mention, as it shifts frequency all the time
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:02 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
I have the 72MHz version. Once the initial scan is completed, that's it. If someone turns on a tx who is on the channel you've selected, it's just like any other tx. You're gonna have very bad day.

My needs are simple, so I haven't done much in the way of programming. What I really love is the ability to save so many plane settings. I have 40 in there now with lots of room for more.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2007
522 Posts
I ordered a Tracker III last night. Hopefully it will get here for Monday or Tuesday so I have time to play with it before Saturday. Knowing me I'll prob program my first plane into it, and go attempt to fly it. Hopefully I won't put it into the ground/tree/Mississippi River. I'm getting really good at landing it in the trees.