SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:26 AM
Cogito Ergo Sum
Joined Dec 2003
485 Posts
Discussion
I will never buy an RC magazine again

All I see are 3d planes "hovering" (vomit sound) and helicopters hovering inverted . a real waste of good paper.
Ronald Dobbs is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Dobbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:30 AM
AMA#900532
United States, TX, West Point
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
What mag did you buy?
rifleman_btx is offline Find More Posts by rifleman_btx
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:34 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,290 Posts
Absolutely the best RC magazine that is dedicated to electric power is the British magazine 'Quiet & Electric Flight International'.

It has everything, small foamies to big balsa, kits, ARFs, 3D, 4D, sport, scale, EDF, helis, gliders of all classes, reviews, tech stuff, indoor, outdoor, free plans and more. And, there's great articles that you can auctually learn something from. N. American input as well.

The only rag I buy, not cheap, but some of the plans are worth 20 bucks.

Can't find it? Do a google.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:25 AM
TeachesSelfToFly
Stevenson, WA
Joined Jul 2003
53 Posts
Yup. Going to stop my Fly RC and Model Airplane News this year. They are both crap....
I think I will fall back to the, pick up a rag while at the hobby shop routine again....

Jeff
zoltron is offline Find More Posts by zoltron
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:00 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Dobbs
All I see are 3d planes "hovering" ............
It might be fun to do, but it sure is boring to watch.

I won't buy another magazine. There's so much good information here I don't need to.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:06 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,385 Posts
Q&EFI is the best, right along with Quiet Flyer.

RCGroups will never be able to replace a magazine....Or vise versa.

Thank goodness, as I like both forms of news and information.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:07 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,630 Posts
Yo Doc Itotally agree with you IF your talkin about USA printing!
I even cancelled a "best" video game mag because even with the new expensive machine wars THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY!!! Just part3-4-5 of some old dumb junk!
HOWEVER;
I'mshifting my new allotment of allowance to Quiet And Electric Flight- you definately get what you pay for there!!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
RCM and E is a pretty good UK mag as electric flights gets more popular they seem to be featuring more and more of it. Its has lots of good technical stuff and fabrication techniques, normally has free plan (quite often for an electric plane) and most of the reviews concerntrate on testing planes in the way they will be used by the majority of people that buy them rather then wringing out a full on 3d show that only a few of us can actually do. They also do a lot of features where they visit manufacturers and retaillers in the hobby and give you some background on them.
GT5500 is offline Find More Posts by GT5500
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:34 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
I like the focus/content in Quiet Flyer too. They all suffer from the difficulty in distinguishing the ads from the reviews (link).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:32 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,024 Posts
I agree that seeing pics of AIRPLANES hovering (isn't that a helicopter???) is extremely boring, and have mentioned that to the editor at MAN. They are aware that they have quite a few in the magazine, but also that a lot of readers apparently LIKE to see that a model is able to do that.
I can only speak for my involvment with MAN and QF, but they have a lot of people to please. Isues cannot be 100% scale, 3D, Aero, Heli, ARF, Scratchbuilt, etc. They have to try to conform an issue to a certain theme.
For instance, my Hurricane design in coming up in MAN, and a review I did of the FSK Me262 as well. THe SPit will be included soon. These have to wait until there is an issue leaning toward scale, not 3D, or giants, etc.
As boring as I find prop-hangers, I would say give them another chance, and voice your opinion to the editors as well. They publish what the people report to them that they want to see. Without feedback, they have no idea what to run.
It's a tough job pleasing everyone

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,065 Posts
I guess the model mags need so many ads that they look like bad catalogs and must have way to many "gee whiz" articles and pics of things that are supposed to attract new young readers. If they only charged a couple of dollars per issue you wouldn't feel like you were looking at a throw away that you payed $5.00 for.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:28 AM
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
581 Posts
I love the reviews in model mags! Every plane released is easy to build, tracks great and 'goes where you point it!' We're on the cutting edge! :-p
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:08 AM
foamhead
Joined Aug 2005
231 Posts
Model aviation has got to be the worst. I understand that some people are still flying control line. The question is, why?
Tentacle is offline Find More Posts by Tentacle
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:17 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Bingo, SpleenRippa.

How can you trust a print reviews from a rag that never points out inherant design flaws or at least recommend ways to circumvent problems during a build. Now THAT would be of some value.

-mb
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:21 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,059 Posts
I suggest Model Aviation then if you don't like one area exceeding coverage

Model Avaiation is great. Coverage on all kinds of model aviation, including the hovering. There was an article this month on hovering (profile brotherhood) but lots of other good articles (including an interview with rcgroups own TFLG, Laird).

Good stuff. I enjoy it every time it comes each month.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke