HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2007, 08:20 PM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
451 Posts
I would recommend going with the original 30" version. It still has all the performance, and will turn as tight as you want. But flys slower with the lower wing loading.
tomcor is online now Find More Posts by tomcor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,344 Posts
Flight report!

Well it looked so good when it left my hand and zoomed away I took it up to about 75 feet at 3/4 power plane looks real pretty in the air went to turn it around and she went into a power dive and I could not recover full up elevator did nothing right into a bush. no harm no foul EPP is great stuff!

2nd attempt same result this time crash into the ground I can rebuild just a little crack in the epp)!

So can someone tell me is it just my CG is way out of place. I'm using a 3 cell 800 should I use a light pack I read some where that the CG is at 11 1/4 from the front nose.

Looking for help as this plane looks to cool not to fly right.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
well in a dive, it really puts ALOT of pressure onto the servo when you try to pull back and stuff, could be fix with more powerful servos (if you are using HS55's, switch to HS65's, the 55's are for small aerobatic planes)
brian94066 is online now Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
Tall, Pushrods look un-supported from the pics ... Might flex in Down , but sounds like the flexing elevons and maybe not enough UP and you can't pull out of a dive ... might be a touch nose heavy too ...and tilting rear of the motor UP (downthrust)might help ... More testing eh... ???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,344 Posts
limkage

I was looking at all the pictures in the thread and I came across a picture showing some added foam linkage braces.

Here is my version
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
and the tilting the motor up sounds good too, but you're not gonna get better invert performance, worth a try though
brian94066 is online now Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Aug 12, 2007, 01:56 AM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
451 Posts
Tallflyer,
is that the 30" version? My motor is mounted fairly straight with no off-set. Sounds like a COG problem. Try giving it max control also. Supporting the pushrods should help. Take a closer look at my pictures and videos of the Cutlass. Also being a flat plate design it is pitch sensitive. Once I figured out the CG and adjusted the throws it was a breeze to fly. Now it flys very easy I have even flown it down my street a few times. I can give it full throttle and it will climb straight up. It is all in the setup of the plane.
tomcor is online now Find More Posts by tomcor
Last edited by tomcor; Aug 12, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:22 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Sounds almost like a normal wing, control surface stall, snap and death spiral

Reduce elevator control throws and try again.

High speed, low throws / Low speed, high throws.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:39 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
I flew mine this morning. Gave it full throttle and it went straight up, backed off and got it to sort of fly. A little down and zoom it was going down. Very squirrelly. I think the CG is too far back and mine is in front of the recommended 11 1/4". On power off it did not want to glide without forcing the nose down. The natural tendency was to go nose up and stall.

Once sorted out it should be fun but I will be adding some lead to the nose. I already have a 1200 mah 2s up behind the nose doublers. I could try a 1800 mah that is laying about. Power is a 1500kv Blue Wonder, HobbyWing 12 amp ESC and 2S 1200mah Polymax.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcor
Tallflyer,
is that the 30" version? My motor is mounted fairly straight with no off-set. Sounds like a COG problem. Try giving it max control also. Supporting the pushrods should help. Take a closer look at my pictures and videos of the Cutlass. Also being a flat plate design it is pitch sensitive. Once I figured out the CG and adjusted the throws it was a breeze to fly. Now it flys very easy I have even flown it down my street a few times. I can give it full throttle and it will climb straight up. It is all in the setup of the plane.
2nd day of flying results, I put a 3 cell 300mah on the front end in the same place as the 800 and now she was tail heavy but wow she floated around with no problem I did loops an rolls wow what a blast.

Now I just need to find the balance point with this setup and then play with a larger pack to get it all the same should be ok now.

thanks for everyones help.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tallflyer; Aug 12, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Here is a picture of my Cutlass. The rudders have been trimmed by 3/4" on the back and bottom. Still searching for the CG.

Thanks for the plans.

Len
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
With the CG at 10.5 inches back from the nose it flys fine. I stuck a 1800 mah 2S Polyquest up there, better battery than lead. Next I will work on more pitch speed.

Len
Old Aug 18, 2007, 07:57 PM
Trenton,NJ
Joined Jan 2007
11 Posts
Sounds good count me in. Gunna try slow first but ima gunna take it up a notch next I hope the wings hold on

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5453
21 amps on 2 cell NICE!!! REZ
Bobrez is offline Find More Posts by Bobrez
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:33 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Built a mini cutlass yester day, put this motor on it:

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5482

I'm using a 3s 640 pack, haven't thrown it on the wattmeter yet. Balancing is tough, might have to add weight although it flies fine with the battery 3/4" back from the nose. AUW is under 6 oz, have to throw it on a more accurate scale tomorrow.

I can set it up vertically on the verticle stabs, hit full throttle and launch. It rolls almost a full turn up to about 6 feet, then transitions to horizontal and accelerates.

VTO capability, anyone else try that?

I new this motor would be plenty powerful (use it 2s on a hyperflea), and that it would be a little heavy, but it will work. I might cut some foam off the stabs, and/or recess the motor a bit so that I can move the battery back enough to put it in the canopy on the centerline.

Thanks for the plan firetrappe, this is my first scratchbuilt and my kids thought it was great! Makes me want to order the plan from acesim. Is there anything similar with an airfoil in the free plans?

Tom
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:34 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I am using this motor in my Epp F22 . Great little motor, IMO only a 2s motor
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740049
I also Have the same motor in pusher sport/glider at 15.5oz works fine!

It nice to see that the Cutlass is still popular
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan