HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
Great Little Plane

I stumbled across this thread a couple days ago and once I saw her fly and downloaded the (FREE Plans) I had to build one

(I will post some pictures next post)

I used 9mm EPP Foam to cut out all the parts get yourself 2 sheets of foam 18x36 and you will have a bunch of foam left over to play with.

I have built some EPP kits before (SLOFLY28) and others so I know all the little tricks to build.

Make sure you have a bunch of New X-acto knife blades some strapping tape,I like to use hot glue with epp I know it adds a little weight but if used correct not much.

I went with a UH1300 kc cdrom type motor a gws 8040hd prop 10-12 amp brushless esc, a gws 4 channel receiver, 2 9 gram servos Im going to use a 3 cell 620 dualsky 11.1 volt lipo

My total AUW is about 8oz

Some great tips for the new and maybe first time builder.

1. when cutting out EPP foam any part of the plane that has a straight line example the 2 fuselage half's trace the top and the bottom half on one of the 4 sides of the EPP foam sheet that way you get a perfect square edge when you go to connect them, do the same for the wing half's

2. use a can spray mounting to do large surface example the 3 fuselage parts.

3. when using hot glue (here is a real super trick) when putting to parts together lets say the wing half's put some small toothpicks into one side of the foam and then poke holes into the other side of the foam piece to be joined push them together all the way to make sure you have a good fit, then once our happy with the result only pull them apart enough to put hot glue on one side of the foam then press together make for a perfect joint and its always straight.

this step makes putting the top and the bottom fuselage half's on straight every time a snap

4.when doing linkage for your servos always use dubro type ez-connectors

5. Did I say always use new sharp x-acto knife blades

6. I use my dreamel to cut a grove for my carbon rods (fast and easy) a soldering iron works well but if you need to do this make sure you have a well vented area.

7. ALLWAYS make sure your CG is correct before flying.

8. Remember this is a pusher plane turn the prop around.

9. If you dont have a computer radio a x-tail mixer is required.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:31 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Tom, Whats with the 45 degree CG check dive, not heard of that one before.
Lets hope this thread gets as much interest as the Sumo, Si.
I hope it doesn't fade out before I have built mine!
As I need all the help I can get...
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:02 PM
Joined Apr 2005
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrappe
Denile, Here are the plans I modified to build the 22" version out of 9mm EPP. It's scaled down to 75% of the original size, the slots in the verticals have been increased to 9mm and the 'under wing doublers' have been changed to allow for a 9mm fuselage.
Is there any chance you could post a tiled pdf of the 22" version? When I printed the one you posted, the WS was 30". Doesn't look like it scaled down. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
thanks
onewoo is offline Find More Posts by onewoo
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:04 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Onewoo, Well spotted, it appears that I uploaded the wrong version of the Mini plans . My apologies to any of you that have printed or built using them. I've replaced the tiled plans in post #57 with the correct ones.

TF, thanks for posting your tips and photos, i'm sure they'll be really helpful to prospective Cutlass builders

Dek, I wouldn't worry about the thread dying before you build yours, i'll probably still be getting reminded of posting the wrong plans in 12 months time .

Note to self : triple check plans before posting!

FT.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:41 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
A little sharpie work

I decided to make a thunder bird kind of look
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 12:49 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Si, I have found a source of 3mm x 1.7mm carbon tube for the wing. What is the recommended dremel and attachment required to cut the groove. What glue do you use to glue the spar
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:10 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
I use the Dremel 561 MultiPurpose Cutting Bit.

To glue rods

5 minute epoxy
foam safe CA + Kicker
hot glue gun
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:26 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Dek, see post #35 for demel attachment and cutting bit links . As for an actual dremel, i'd just go for a cheap and cheerful Black & Decker copy (has the same thread fitting as a genuine dremel).

I use Household Welder for all my EPP gluing (from Slofly), but i've used UHU por in the past and it works just as well although it's thinner than Welder so you have to use more as the EPP seems to absorb it.

TF, yours is looking good, nice sharpie work . If you've not tried waterslides before, take your time and use a damp cloth (not a wet cloth) to avoid water seeping under the transfer and smudging the ink. From feedback, this seems to be the most common problem with people trying inkjet decals.

BTW, for any of you thinking of building a Mini Cutlass, it might be worth trying one of these motors : https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5432 . It looks to be suspiciously similar to the ELE C20 which is a great motor and is 5g lighter than the Blue Wonder equivalent.

Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 04:13 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
wow this is really nice

it looks like a mini stryker

could these do harriers at low speed or parform well past 80 mph?
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Aug 07, 2007, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
Ok a few more touches

Ok The Sharpie thing just looked bad when the light hit it so I decided to paint it over with a light coat of Delta CeramCoat Acrylic paint, It looks much better now!

I added a few water slide decals I will be adding a couple more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:18 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer
Ok The Sharpie thing just looked bad when the light hit it so I decided to paint it over with a light coat of Delta CeramCoat Acrylic paint, It looks much better now!

I added a few water slide decals I will be adding a couple more.

Tallflyer,

Looks really sharp! Looking forward to a flight report and if possible, video!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 08, 2007, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,357 Posts
Final Touches

OK I'm ready to Fly my EPP Cutlass ASAP I just added the last few little Decals I wanted to ADD (SEE How I promote the RC Groups) a little free advertisement goes a long way!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2007, 07:44 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Didn't realize it but the Cutlass is 30" span that I made from the tiled plans, I am glad, because the smaller one would not have worked out as well for me.

Thanks for the plans; it is half painted now, when done I'll post a picture.

Len

edit: I removed some from the bottom of the fins, may take off more from the back of the fins. I think they are bigger than they need to be for flight, and the extra weight makes getting the CG right harder. Don't want to take off too much though. It has a great profile.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP