HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2007, 11:20 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
Firetrappe thanks bunch for the pdf. I will eventually find my full version of acrobat 6 which came in my college version of Adobe CS, was put in a box when moving and as yet remains unfound.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2007, 02:03 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,333 Posts
great looking plane gotta build one!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:14 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Oooh. Love the looks of the Cutlass. Cut and hotglued one together last night. Mine is mostly Bluecor. Can't wait to add the components and go fly. Hope to get it in the air early next week. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Aug 05, 2007, 04:11 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
It flys....

I managed to get out and maiden the Mini Cutlass today. Initial flight showed that the cg was a little too far forward, so I removed half of the extra weight I had added to the nose (7g) and it flew much better. This ones not for the faint-hearted, but lots of fun

2nd flight with nose weight removed :
Mini Cutlass - Mixed Flying (3 min 12 sec)

3rd flight testing speed :
Mini Cutlass - Full Throttle (2 min 24 sec)

FT.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2007, 04:41 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
looks a bit hairy! Si
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Aug 05, 2007, 05:54 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Wow. I'd have to go take a shower after that flight!
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:37 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
firetrappe,

Glad I didn't see that before I cut out mine. I might have chickened out.

Where do you think the CG should be for one of the little ones?

Mine is made from 9mm black EPP. Put a single carbon tube across the wing. Heading back through the thread looking for hints on where and how to put the gear other than the servos.

Will post a picture when done.

Len

edit: picture of underside on previous page tells all
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Aug 05, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 09:41 PM
I love me some Blucore!
Madcity, Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2006
263 Posts
i apologize if i have missed it somewhere....can someone tell me where the CG is?

Thanks mucho

NFS
Ndforspeed is offline Find More Posts by Ndforspeed
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:42 PM
Battery Powered==(*)==
Mesquite, Nevada
Joined Jan 2002
447 Posts
Great Flying Firetrappe. Looks like if you turned down the throws or used expo it would be a little tamer. I always start with low or medium throws and adjust from there. I also always use a computer radio to adjust throws and expo amounts. On the regular 30" version the COG is 11 1/4" from tip of nose. The 30" will fly nice and slow when built light. I can always catch it by hand. You can check the COG in the air by doing a 45' dive but make sure you have some altitude first. Or just fly it around slow and see how it reacts. Try some power off glides also.

The original wing design was done by my friend Ken Hill at http://acesim.com/rc ,who is a great builder, designer. He has plans for the JSF foam plane on his site. I flew the JSF a few times and really liked it, that is what inspired me to build the EPP cutlass. I still will be building a JSF foamy from depron for myself.
tomcor is online now Find More Posts by tomcor
Last edited by tomcor; Aug 05, 2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:28 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Components are in and the Cutless is ready for a maiden. Plane w/o battery is 5.3 oz. AUW with a 3s 620mah is 7.3oz. Had hoped to use a 2s 620mah to save weight, but it wasn't heavy enough to balance the plane.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 12:38 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Just wondering how this would work with a tractor motor setup? The weight of the motor up front it would allow for a lighter battery.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:17 AM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
I hope I haven't put too many of you off the MC by posting vids . I wanted to see how fast I could push a flat plate wing and how it behaved. I thought i might get some flutter at high speed and there was the chance that it might go into a dive that I couldn't pull out of. Happily, neither of these problems were apparent.

As Tom says, the model could easily be tamed. I had about 30 throws and no expo or rates programmed during these flights (it was a spur of the moment flying session). A lower Kv motor (maybe a 1700) and a 6" prop would probably tame it further. No doubt though if you want a slower all-round model then go for the original version.

For reference, the CG on mine is 8" back from the nose (just behind the 'nose doublers').

FT.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:08 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Just wondering how this would work with a tractor motor setup? The weight of the motor up front it would allow for a lighter battery.
Or how about prop in slot like the SuperFly...move the motor and prop up towards the nose. This would get the motor and the rest of the guts close to the cg.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:10 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,372 Posts
The original video from Tomcor demonstrates how nicely this design can fly when "tamed". Looks like this plane can fly slow and fast with the right set up.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:00 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
I did a mini-maiden this morning--not more than a minute, but enough to believe that this is going to really be fun. I'm running UH 24g 1700 kv with a 3s 620mah battery and a 7035 prop. (Looks like it's drawing about 8 amps.) I was in the front yard, so never got over about half throttle. Can't wait to take it somewhere and really crank it up. One thing that surprised me was how slowly it would fly. Has a nice glide. Gotta get to work. More later.