HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2008, 12:19 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
All done flies good . It's hitting about 50 mph on level flight, got another prop on order to see for fun if I can hit about 60 mph on level flight. So far , no flutter on elevons that I could see. Hatch is working out fine .Update on weight, 7.5 oz. with everything ready to fly except battery. Add 3 oz. for big TP 1320 pro-lite 3 cell battery, yes it's heavy , but I can fly for over 13 minutes hard! Now I have to come up with paint .
DanT is online now Find More Posts by DanT
Last edited by DanT; May 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2008, 08:47 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Awesome job Dan! Mine is not as pretty, the next one will be better. My radio is in the shop so I am stuck for now. I have never posted a pic, lets see if this works.
rcar4 is offline Find More Posts by rcar4
Old May 28, 2008, 11:13 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
rcar4 , looks like your ready to fly. One layer of foam makes a lite plane. ( I looks like one layer ? )
Here where I live they don't last long. To much wind here and rocks to land on. LOL
Tip, put a little color on your plane , the blue is hard to see in a blue sky. Also, if you don't mind ? Next time move your spar for main wing back more in the center will help stiffen it more IMO.
Have Fun.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:25 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Dan thanks for the advice! I have learned not to paint till I get a maiden in The spar was put in as the 30 inch, then I cut the wing down. It seems to have landed close to CG. I have plaenty of room to move the batery around for CG. I made mine a little fat in the back for hopes of a bigger motor later on. I am running a little screamer purple pearl with a apc 7x5. You think that will fly? I just had the motor laying around and thought I would use it.
Thanks again!

yep 1 layer, I think I will put a little extreme tape aft of the spar
Last edited by rcar4; May 28, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:32 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts

Very nice jobe DanT!

Ill build this project for me. I have to buy some stuffs in HobbyCity, and will also buy the motor to put here, what do you think on this one below:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...trunner_1300kv

Or

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...-drive_2205/22

Or the motor you are using in your plane Dant, is better? I would like to buy a good and cheaper motor . Could you please also show me the links of esc, I have two lipos 2s Thunder power 1320 to use on it.

If m not asking you so much ...

Thanks in advance,
Luis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
All done flies good . It's hitting about 50 mph on level flight, got another prop on order to see for fun if I can hit about 60 mph on level flight. So far , no flutter on elevons that I could see. Hatch is working out fine .Update on weight, 7.5 oz. with everything ready to fly except battery. Add 3 oz. for big TP 1320 pro-lite 3 cell battery, yes it's heavy , but I can fly for over 13 minutes hard! Now I have to come up with paint .
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old May 28, 2008, 05:53 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
This is the motor I'm using at this time.http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...trunner_1500kv
I would also get the motor mount for it.http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5217
For one, it will take more amps then your first motor.
Your second motor is heavy and to high of a kv motor IMO and will only make about 12 oz. of thrust .
The little motor I'm using in this setup, can make 20 oz. of thrust with a GWS 8x4 prop!I do run it higher on amps full throttle it will see over 10 amps. But it will make about 560g of thrust !! At the price of this little motor, I don't care if it dies a little to soon!

On this plane I don't need thrust because it's not,,, a 3D plane! So,, I'm playing with speed just for the fun of it , to see how fast I can make this little motor and plane go..
Next,, I do use a TP 1320 3 cell ! Not a 2 cell battery. That is how I get this kind of speed out of this little cheap motor.
Next,, I use a CC thunder bird 18 esc . I know it's way more then this little motor needs, but I use these ESC and batteries in many different planes I have.. Some of my planes and motors pull 18 amps. As you know by readying my post in the past,, I for one don't care about weight! A little more weight in a windy place is a good thing.
Last edited by DanT; May 28, 2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 06:25 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcar4
Dan thanks for the advice! I have learned not to paint till I get a maiden in The spar was put in as the 30 inch, then I cut the wing down. It seems to have landed close to CG. I have plaenty of room to move the batery around for CG. I made mine a little fat in the back for hopes of a bigger motor later on. I am running a little screamer purple pearl with a apc 7x5. You think that will fly? I just had the motor laying around and thought I would use it.
Thanks again!

yep 1 layer, I think I will put a little extreme tape aft of the spar
Your motor with the right prop will work fine. Make sure you run a 3 cell setup and put something like a GWS 8x4 prop to start with.. You can make more speed using APC 7 x 5 with less thrust ...
Old May 29, 2008, 12:47 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Dan,
I don't own a 2 cell
I have been using those 24 gram motors from hobby city in my mini slinger. I had the same motor in a 3000 KV version and put it on a mini slinger. WOW, big performance boost, you need to try one of them! You will need to run a smaller prop and at least a 20 amp esc. I am using a zaggy 5x5 prop with this motor, on a 3 cell.
I was wondering... what is the dimension of your cutlass from the firewall to the nose?
Thanks!
Last edited by rcar4; May 29, 2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:05 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
To rcar4
Quote:
I was wondering... what is the dimension of your cutlass from the firewall to the nose?
Thanks!
First let me say my mini is 1 1/4 inch longer then stock mini or 15 and 3/4 inches from the BACK EDGE of wing next to motor, also remember I set my firewall 3/4" IN from back edge of wing, to help with this model tail heaviness .
Oh, I have tried the 3000kv and the small prop and like these motor MUCH better. For one when using a small prop, and your coming in for a HOT landing, it takes TO LONG for it to make thrust and get you back up to flying speed. Next the same thing happens when you throw your plane. We have a lot of wind here ,so you have to have good fast thrust on hand for corrections . I don't have a ( mini slinger) but I can see why you would need a small prop on the stock setup, no room for a bigger prop in between the elevons. I set my fins out more( 8 1/2" inside) incase I want to run bigger props also.
Last edited by DanT; May 29, 2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:20 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Dan,
Just measured mine at 17 3/4", wing span 26" I will have to chop the next one down a little more. I will let you know how it flys when I get my radio back.
Thanks for all your input!
Old May 31, 2008, 04:51 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
Update , still working on paint scheme ! But it's coming along, I now have about 6 = 13 minutes flights on it and the CG is now just right. Also it seems pretty fast for a small BW 1500kv motor with a TP 1320 pro-lite 3 cell running a APC 7x5 prop. Still waiting for next prop to come in .
Old Jun 02, 2008, 02:48 PM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Flew my Cutlass Sunday and again this morning. It flys great at half throttle, but I am getting wing flutter at any higher speed. The thing floats in real well, but I think I have to much wing area. I will keep flying this one, but will try a double layer of foam for the wing on the next one.
Old Jun 02, 2008, 03:23 PM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
rcar4,
Glade your having fun. One thing you might try on this bird, is supporting your elevon push rods in the center of travel .That might help with flutter ? And on your next bird? Move the wing brace more toward the back .
Also,,it looks like your using very small lite servos? These can have a lot of play in them. I use stronger ones in my faster planes . Some use Hi Tec 56 servos. They have carbon gears and BB.
Last edited by DanT; Jun 02, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2008, 01:02 AM
Champaign, IL
Joined Apr 2007
124 Posts
Dan,
Will defiantly move the spar back. A friend told me to CA the wooden dowel to stiffen it. Wish I had the money for better servos, I am using these, servos Wish you would come up with a pdf file of your plans, but that is easier said. I know I don't have the skills to do it. Everyone at the club thought it was pretty neat, and several asked about the plans. I am sure I will get it there, I will keep you posted. I have to build an ALF mig 15 for a friend, before I can get back to the Cutlass.
Talk to you later,
Ron
Old Jun 03, 2008, 10:26 AM
San Angelo TX.
Joined Feb 2006
1,287 Posts
rcar4
Ron,you can down load the pdf file for the mini cutlass . Then all you have to do is extend the wing 1 1/2 " on both sides . Put a ruler on the leading edge of stock mini planes keeping the same leading edge angle and draw it 1 1/2" longer on both sides. Next do the same for the nose add 1 1/4" and then draw new lines on sides. Now the cabin is my own design . And so are the elevons and width between the fins for bigger props. I use Hobby Lobby poster board with the paper off. And 1/2" poster board for the cabin sides with notches cut inside to make it easer to bend on a curve and make it lite. I also change the cabin high on the back next to the motor to help make it less tail heavy design. Have fun.
DanT