SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:31 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Rant
Real Flight G 3.5: Good software, poor hardware, not-so-good service

I bought the RF G 3.5 at the end of December. My son and I have been using it since January. It is very nice and realistic, but the controller broke twice so far. First, after one month of use, the left stick got stuck. The nice people at my LHS swapped it with another one. In two more months the right stick lost its spring. This time I sent it in for service. They were nice enough to send me an UPS shipping label, but only after I asked. They also mentioned that they are aware of a defective batch of controllers. After waiting for two weeks, I received the controller. They replaced the right gymball, but it is loose, moving up and down in the case. I tried to tighten the screws on the front, without any success.

I am very disappointed with the product and the service. First, when a relatively expensive product like this fails within the few months of service, especially due to a known production error, the company should replace it by sending a new unit along with a return shipping label for the customer to return the defective unit. Second, they should fix the units properly. But of course, first of all, they should manufacture them right to start with.

I don't have much experience with Great Planes, but based on my limited experience, I think Horizon Hobby has a better customer support. Now I am thinking that I should have bought the FS One!

ATAC
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:02 AM
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
I opened up the controller and fixed it myself. The screws were not tightened enough. The fellow who "fixed" it did not even bother to take out the loose spring of the previous gymball. It was rolling free inside the controller. Good that it did not short anything.

I think I am done with Great Planes.

ATAC
Old Apr 27, 2007, 06:48 PM
No Guts, No Glory
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Feb 2007
2,024 Posts
well after about 7 months of flying( hundreds of hrs) my G3.5 with the included remote, the left throttle stick broke so it was just moving freely. I called Knife Edge software, they told me everything i had to do and i shipped it to them. A week and half later i got it back. Problem fixed and costumer happy. No sim is perfect and after i found the Swap page and flown many down loadable planes, im happier than ever with my G3.5

I'f the remote doesn't feel right, in the note describing the problem, tell them they fixed it wrong and your disappointed and you would like an entirely knew remote. See what they do.
flyin C is offline Find More Posts by flyin C
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:29 PM
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
When they shipped it back they included a feedback form. I filled and mailed it in. I have not heard anything yet. The controller is working OK now, but I am not satisfied with the service. I like the software though.

I can't help to compare vendors. When I called Horizon about my Firebird Commander I had no expectations other than technical advice on how to fix it. I had flown it for six months and crashed many times. The throttle was acting erratically. They asked me to send the fuse and the transmitter. A week later I received a brand new FBC kit!

ATAC