HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:18 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,865 Posts
Discussion
My nimh's didn't come back after winter

I have 6 nimh 8 cell batteries that were working fine Feb, they sat due to weather, now in April, I am lucky to get off the ground. Any way to bring them back ?

CH
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:40 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
I have 6 nimh 8 cell batteries that were working fine Feb, they sat due to weather, now in April, I am lucky to get off the ground. Any way to bring them back ?
Try a couple of cycles charging at C/10 for 12 to 14 hours. They ought to come back OK.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:41 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
What brand are they?

Very slow charge followed by regular discharge, do it twice. After chargiing once again, any packs with less than 8 x 1.3 volts has dead cells in them. Put to regular use. If performance is not back after a few high discharge cycles (flying them), they are pretty much toast.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,865 Posts
Thanx for the replies. Some are Eflite, some Walkera. All act the same. I tried several charge/discharge cycles, but charged at 0.7C . Will try C/10 .

CH
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Funny I ran by this topic because I ran my Nimh cells for the first time today since last fall and they were very weak feeling. I slow charged them on 500mah and I will see if they do any better tomorrow......if not I will be getting lipo's sooner than I planned
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:30 AM
Bellingham WA
Joined Jan 2005
659 Posts
Hello Chophop,

When you stored you packs were they charged or empty?

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline Find More Posts by SilverFoxCPF
Old Apr 30, 2007, 04:24 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,865 Posts
I stored them charged. After about 6 cycles they came back to life, and from 2.5 to 7 minutes flight time, about normal. I charged them full and used them straight off the charger, which is what seemed to bring them back. Funny, I just got some lipos that blow the nimh away.

CH
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
Endicott,N.Y.
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
I've raced R/C cars for 15+ years. We use the same batteries for the cars, in 6 cell packs,as you're using in your airplanes. However,ours are matched by voltage and run time for optimum performance. They are charged @6 amps and discharged @35 amps when they are matched. We routinely charge @ 6 or 7 amps when we race them. After a race they are discharged @ 35 amps until the pack voltage reaches .9 volts per cell (5.4 in a 6 cell pack). If the pack is to be stored for more than a week we put 10min. of charge back in the pack @ 6amps. If they will be used sooner, we leave them @ 5.4volts. Before charging, we discharge the pack to 5.4 volts and start charging again @ 6 amps. We never trickle charge.
NiMi batteries like to be warm. We use a peak charger that has adjustable peak detect drop back voltage, usually set at .03 volts. The pack will be around 100* when it comes off the charger. In the winter we even use a heating pad to warm the pack up before charging.The difference is quite noticable between a freshly charged pack and one that has sat for a while. Fly with a pack charged at home and then with a pack charged at the field and see if you can feel the difference.
Jim Carr is offline Find More Posts by Jim Carr
Old May 01, 2007, 03:11 AM
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr
NiMi batteries like to be warm.
That depends on your priorities. NiMH performs better when warm, but lifetime is reduced. If you prefer your batteries to last long rather than give optimum performance then try to not get them too warm.
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old May 01, 2007, 10:43 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,152 Posts
When forming (or reforming after a long rest like over winter) charge at 0.1C for 16 hours, any less may not do the job although you can sometimes get by with a 14 hour charge at this rate. Any less time does not bring all cells up to their proper voltage.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney