SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2002, 02:05 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Piper J3 Cub, a GWS Model

Hello!!! This model has been flown for a total of 12 minutes using a 6 cell, 270mAH Nickle Cad. battery packs from GWS which are made by Sanyo. Modifications to this model consisted of adding a light Alu. hollow spar across the entire wingspan. Along with the kit provided struts it makes this model fly very well even in the gusty conditions. Of course, in gusty or constant windy conditions forget using the 10" 4.7 pitch prop., you must use the 9" 7 pitch or 10" 8 pitch prop.

Once you ease back on the juice a bit and once the model has climed, you can stay up for about 12 minutes using this battery and motor combination.

I have crashed this plane against basketball hoops, then, during a control spin, I leveled off right into a concrete light pole, and it also went into a fenced transformer enclosure at a Middle School.
Several 5 minute apoxy repairs and two new motor assemblies and this little plane (39" wing span) still flies even better.
Of course, the pilot is much better as well.

Thanks Gerry (SIMANO) for your expert pilot skills and those neat pics!

Sincerely,
Carlos Orlando Marin
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Oct 20, 2002 at 10:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:26 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
RE: Piper J3 Cub, a GWS Model

Okay, today I flew it about 150 feet high and lasted 12 minutes. I flew using two GWS 270mAmpH Nickle Cad. batteries. I alternate them so, I can fly 6 times in 4 hours or so, and that's shooting the bull with the people that come over an ask questions.

This little plane is awesome! I also have the GWS ZERO but, the Piper is a pleasure to fly since it lasts a long time in flight and the ZERO having a GWS-300S power plant (Equates to a 370 motor), uses the juice really fast and it is fast as well !
Old Oct 20, 2002, 10:30 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
RE: Piper J3 Cub, a GWS model

Here's my planes on the car roof top. Gerry my friend is in the foreground flying his WATTAGE SPORTY. Carlos.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 06:33 PM
Belt fed Tape and CA dispenser
United States, FL, Clermont
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
"SUPER CUB"

I completely gutted my Cub..... I took out the crappy IPS, 2amp ESC, and the 7.2 350mAh battery and pimped it out with a GWS DX 380, 5amp ESC and a Lithum Polymer 8.4 1600mAh battery, This thing has some a$$ to it now. No problem with Altitude now. Pretty nice for my first plane. Pretty soon I am going to put a picture with this to show you what power can do. gimmie an E-mail for a pict.
GVFD29 is offline Find More Posts by GVFD29
Old Oct 21, 2002, 09:12 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: "SUPER CUB"

Quote:
Originally posted by GVFD29
I completely gutted my Cub..... I took out the crappy IPS, 2amp ESC, and the 7.2 350mAh battery and pimped it out with a GWS DX 380, 5amp ESC and a Lithum Polymer 8.4 1600mAh battery, This thing has some a$$ to it now. No problem with Altitude now. Pretty nice for my first plane. Pretty soon I am going to put a picture with this to show you what power can do. gimmie an E-mail for a pict.
Hello GVFD29: Thanks for your reply! Yes, I thought of exactly what you did with your Cub. However, at the time, I still had my ZERO in one piece and I tried going to a hobby store in Orlando, Florida (GRAVES) to buy a GWS 280 motor assembly with a 4.1:1 reduction gear, however, when I got there, all they had was that little motor that came with the Cub. Aftrer installing a new motor and realizing that a larger motor will require a larger battery and shorter flight time and even perhaps a longer charge time, I decided to keep my little Cub stock. However, I always open to other ideas so, yes send me your pics and other information about your modifications to:

guapoman20002001@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Carlos.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
Dynamic Hotliner

Hey Carlos....how is the Zero, I'm waiting for the P51 to come out and play! But I am saving up for a Graupner Dynamic Hotliner, it looks awesome. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dynamic.htm . Anyways, Just broke a wing on the Cub doing an Inverted dive and snaping a roll about 5 feet above the ground (too much stress on the wing). Awesome looking, wish I has a camera man with me. Tape has the power of GOD with foam aircraft. Ready to go fly after school tommrow. cya.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:26 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: Dynamic Hotliner

Quote:
Hey Carlos....how is the Zero, I'm waiting for the P51 to come out and play! But I am saving up for a Graupner Dynamic Hotliner, it looks awesome. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dynamic.htm . Anyways, Just broke a wing on the Cub doing an Inverted dive and snaping a roll about 5 feet above the ground (too much stress on the wing). Awesome looking, wish I has a camera man with me. Tape has the power of GOD with foam aircraft. Ready to go fly after school tommrow. cya.
BTW: Yesterday the ZERO crashed, it seems like it was either tail heavy or the motor thrust vector was in an upward angle. I struggled to keep the dang nose down with almost full down elevator and nothing......so, I turn to the left and it did a roll and pitch downward. It was only 10 feet off from mother earth so, it crashed nose first. The front part containing the engine right in front of the wing assembly broke off clean. I am going to repair and check the Center of Gravity carefully and try to reduce the aileron travel a bit. Once the repairs are underway, I will check to see if I have a negative incidence for the Engine thrust vector.

I am really tempted to place that GWS300C into the Piper Cub with all the electronics. The ZERO has a 20 AMP ESC and I have 7 cell 600mAH. Wow, can you imagine the loops I can do with the piper using this motor.....Anyway, I have done loops and control spins with the stock piper and I LOVE it. The small motor (stock) and the GWS 270mAH 6 cell battery pack gives me 12 minutes of flying time or 10 minutes if I tend to do loops and spins cuz I would need to regain altidude more often.

Hey GVFD29: When you can please provide more details to how you retrofitted that larger motor on your Piper J3 Cub!!! BTW: Why don't you reinforce the wings by using my little secret and install a 1/4" Alu. hollow tubing the lenght of the Pipers wing span so, you won't snap a wing again? I cut out a little foam on either side of the top of the fuselage and reinforced the slotted holes with hardwood so, during a crash the wings will not crack the fuselage as the wings will shift. Here's a photo showing this modification. cya Carlos.
Carlos.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
Nice plane

OK.....for my transformation of my cub, the only thing I had to do was to think of a way to make the mount larger. I am sure you know the size of the IPS mount, I made a Pine replica and wrapped it in tape (More snug fit) I butted the new piece untill it touched the foam fuelselage, cut it and inserted it into the motor mount. Next problem, Cowling clearance.... I had to cut a large rectange out of the top (sorta like an air scoop). Wa la, your'e done. I had to mount the battery outside the fuelselage keeping in mind the 5 - 6 mm balance I need on the wing. Electrical taped it and PLUG AND PLAY!! I was feeling the need for loops and I tested how many loops I can do with out losing altitude. I counted up to 25 before I got dizzy. My plane is undergoing major surgery now, could call it a very experimental aircraft... The next modification has already taken place. "SUPER CUB BI-PLANE". The best thing about all this is that it complely convertable, The motor can return to it's orgional IPS, Orgional Battry config., High wing plane, Low wing plane or even a Bi-plane. Hey, I'm only 17 and I have a 17yr old imagination. . I'm outta school today due to the Montgomery County shootings in MD. It's not going to stop me from flying.

Lysle V.
Germantown Vol Fire Dept. Sta 29.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 01:36 PM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I fly mine with the motor out of the zero using a Styro 3 blade (cut down) and 8 cell 270's. Easily get 15 min+ flights and can fly in 10-12 mph winds. I use it alot for easy flying and to loosen up before flying the bigger and more expensive stuff. The motor/gb is held in place with a rubber band - loose enough so that the motor is easily displaced on impact. This model is so beat up now with repaired wings that droop and busted tail and nose that I hate to dump it for a new one. Because I don't care how it looks or what happens to it which would not be the case for the new one.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Oct 22, 2002, 07:29 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
Mounting

Here is how I solved the mounting solution on the cub....There is no need for the excessive removal of foam on the nose of the fuelselage, I had a bad day with a football pole. (2nd flight).
Old Oct 22, 2002, 07:55 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
I can attest to the way this thing flies, since I fly with Lysle regularly.

It climbs out at a 45 - 60 degree angle, loops on 1/3 power and scares the bejezus out of me on a regular basis. The wing flutter is really unsettling. Watched him fly inverted for a bit, rolled out, and almost recovered it......

A little more tape....

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Oct 22, 2002, 08:06 PM
Joined Oct 2002
111 Posts
Proof

Here's the 5min job I had done the other day.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:08 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Re: Your 5 minute Job on the Wing

Quote:
Here's the 5min job I had done the other day.
Hello GVFD29 ! I suggest to reinforce your wings using something like what I did such as adding a hollow Alu. spar throughout the wing span (Look at my previous reply upward!!)

Nice job on the motor swap! I am going to try it myself with a buddy of mine. He has a new ROBBY foam model called the Bucker Jugmeister and he bought a GWS 280 with reduction gear and flies really nice but, doesn't have that force to allow for really neat rolls and loops like he expected. Since my GWS Japanese ZERO took a nose dive, I will swap with him and with motor and ESC configurations to see what happens! I think it's going to be a really nice thing, my Piper will have a GWS-280 with a 4.1:1 gear ratio and he will get the GWS-300C (370 with a 5.33:1 ratio).

Okay, don't forget to consider to use something like a Alu. Hollow spar for your wings!

Yesterday afternoon we both flew the Piper J3 Cub with stock motor and my friends Tiger Moth (Stock) at the Space Center R/C Flying Field and got higher than the Turkey Buzzards!!!! We got so high that we pull back on the juice and stayed up for over 15 minutes before we were forced to land due to incoming clouds and Lightning!!! We were able to do multiple loops and spins while that high....WoW !!

Regards and Happy Flying!
Carlos.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 06:11 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Aircraft Data Sheet for GWS Piper

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...plane/j3-f.htm

Found a nice Aircraft Data Sheet for the GWS Piper. Okay, here's my GWS Piper that has been transformed into a "SUPER" Piper J3 Cub capable of snap rolls, multi-loops, and spins thanks to structural reinformcements, and the GWS EPS-300C-CS (GWS 370 with a 5.33:1 reduction gear).
Last edited by guapoman2000; Nov 05, 2002 at 06:17 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2002, 06:19 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
SUPER PIPER J3 CUB

Slight toss and it climbs very fast with that Electric Motor combination. Wow !
Closed Thread