Old Apr 21, 2007, 05:22 PM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Build Log
bentom edelweiss sailplane

BENTOM EDELWEISS SAILPLANE
well, i was able to aquire an obscure little foam kit designed for a little 020 glow .thought it might make a great conv project .i tried to find some pics but apparently this model has fallen off the face of the earth. ,but it suits me well i like being different. i will dl some pics later
but here are some of the specs.
ws37.7"
fuse22.5"
wa 142sq"
auw9.5 11.6oz(w suggested motorcox o20)
i guess i have to move forward on my own at this point but if any one knows of this model or just have any solid input i would appreciate it.
for starters iwas thinking elec20 for power as the orig manual calls for a 4025 prop(kinda matches upw/ ele #'s)
also have a park300 outrunner 1380kv as well thats all i have so far ,plus the standard micro flight acc's(servosbidpoduct 3.7, rec gws4ch, speedotb9).I also have an array of batts not bein used ranging from360mah 3 cell to 1350 3cell.
im actually verry exited plane looks really nice.
Danno
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Last edited by danjaun; Apr 25, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: have elect's assembled now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:14 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
pics as promised. going slow on this one, as the closer i look at this kit i found it is a real gem .super quality fit and finish as well as primo hardware ,ive only been in this sport for 4 years and but ive never seen a kit of this quality! .cant find any pics or any other planes by Bentom,for that matter. oh well .
by the pics on box it looked like the paint was white but now the finish seems more like a cream (real antique looking).anyways just wanting to know where you guys thought i should go from here
thanx
Danno
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:24 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Great looking ship. I like it.

Edit : That would be stellar with a Mega 400-15-7 outrunner (or any 120 watts outrunner really), 9x6 prop (for the Mega, other props to match given outrunner) and your 1350 3s pack. Your 300 class outrunner should do fine too.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Last edited by Cubber; Apr 22, 2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:15 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,505 Posts
i personally think that a JGF400DF or 450TH will do the job.
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Apr 23, 2007, 02:55 AM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
i guess im looking to go for edurance and moderate to high speeds so ,is light the way to go?in my experience light planes seem to land softer, if you know what i mean. i like the just go fly #'s.
or what about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180107406844
sno, is the ele c20 not a good idea?
Last edited by danjaun; Apr 23, 2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:16 AM
Master of Nothing!!!
Orange county
Joined Nov 2002
511 Posts
Oh my gosh! Where did you find that?

I wanted that kit when I was in elemetary school. I remember seeing it at the LHS. I never got it, buying the .020 used up my lawn mowing money . I still have some Bentom ff planes however. They were rubber powered but also had a gear box. I've floated the idea of converting them to r/c. The stuff they had out was really ahead of it's time.

If you want a thermal floter, I'd consider keeping it light. I use a Park 300 with a 8x3 and 3s tp 730 and 910 packs. Although it is not in a glider, it gives unlimited vertical with authority on a 7~8 ounce ship. I'm guessing the Bentom would be much lighter today than 9.5 oz.

What a great find. I you know where I can get one, let me know. Thanks.

Oh looky here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46675 Whoops, edit #2 this one is the rubber powered one.

You got me searching the 'net for one now lol . Keep us posted on how it turns out.
ginsu1797 is offline Find More Posts by ginsu1797
Last edited by ginsu1797; Apr 23, 2007 at 03:24 AM. Reason: A link to a past thread I stumbled onto. Never mind its the rubber pwr one.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
I'd go with a E-flight 250 and a 7035 or a APC8038 prop and a 400ma 2 cell battery. Remember its a powered glider more than anything. My second choice would be a IPS brushless in a 4-1 gearbox with a 8043 prop and either a 2-3 cell 400ma pack.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
awaiting shaft and can

airframe built
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:30 AM
Foam rules
HdG Md.
Joined Jan 2003
4,914 Posts
Hey what you doing in my kitchen???
Same stove and counter top, your cabinets are darker.

Anyway what motor you going with. That is a super find hope it works out. I remember a guy in one of the clubs I use to belong to having one and it flew really nice. Just a pain to get the motor started and putting out real power.
Thatovalguy is offline Find More Posts by Thatovalguy
Old Apr 28, 2007, 05:25 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
maiden

It flew today ....kinda porpoisy(mispelled) needs a surprising amount of nose weight ,but i have a feeling this is normal,im just new to glider like planes. so i grabbed a few rocks laying around my feild and tried again still up and down type flight,but i fought it forward all the way up to safe altitude so i could trim what little i could(still seemed tail heavy) but boy what a soarer !
setup as follows
450 mah 3cell
tb9
berg4
1 naro elevator
1 306 rudder
ele c20 2500 from strong
4040 prop
auw 6.7 oz(original kit calls for11oz)
motor seems hot for plane (some tourqe issues)to be fixed easily
loops are incredibly tight and effortless
fairly good "rudder only" control
flies around level at 1/3 throttle motor cool
edelweiss is a lullaby to fly ! cant wait to get her dialed in and learn more of this class of flying.
Had a small mishap requiring epoxy ,add that to the fact that i have to go to work i have to stop for now
hopefully pic and and a better flight report tommorrow
appreciate the gazin you guys
any comments?
Danno
Old Apr 30, 2007, 02:45 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Yes...I should refrain from suggesting based on wingspan alone. Or turn everything into racers. All my 36-40 inches planes are 120 watts or more (and many are 20 ounces or more). Or maybe just learn to read better.

Your's, with an AUW of 6.7 ounces, or even at 11 ounces obviously does not need 120 watts. I was way off base on that one.

Congratutions on your maiden and I am glad for you that you like your plane.

Edit : FWIW : my current project is 25 inches wingspan , I am winding a delta brushless kit for 130+ watts and aiming at below 11 ounces, close to 10 if I can make it.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Last edited by Cubber; Apr 30, 2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old May 01, 2007, 04:44 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
25" ! I likes . this is my first +30" plane I usually stick to the small stuff.please keep me posted
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Pumping an old thread back to life....

I obtained an assembled but unflown and in near perfect condition Bentom Edelweiss at the Weatherford, TX swap meet last Friday. A cute little model I always liked. Was only 20 bucks. Only parts missing are the outrigger landing gear under the wing panels. No worry in replicating those with odds and ends I have around the shop.

I never liked the open cockpit...I think I will create a better looking enclosed canopy, and make it more like a Fournier RF-4 or SGS 1-26 canopy. Will keep the equipment very light and the power fairly modest.

This thread appears to be the sole internet discussion or mention anywhere of the Bentom Edelweiss......
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
what ever I can do to help.. this was a great plane for me.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
whatever i can do to help... quick tip, a cox micro warbird mustang canopy works real good how do I know?