HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kobkobico, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 04:51 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Discussion
The Shun Da Sky Hawk finally flew again!

After over a year without a flight (and one "attempted" one that ended up in a tree) I flew the Sky Hawk very nicely for about 8.5 minutes. Last time I got about 11 but I did not have to fight the wind like today, hence a lot more time with the throttle. The flight however was calm and mostly without incident. Notice the mostly. No damage, but two close calls. Here is a flight overview:

The handlaunch went well, and even though the plane is underpowered it quickly climbed up to a decent altitude. Too fast actually, it would not stop porpoising. I had to give it full down trim, and it was still stalling from trying to climb. I just had to keep the down elevator pressed sometimes. Anyways, it responded much better than I remember to controls. Up and down was instant and turning was respectable for a plane of this type. When I started, there was no wind but that soon changed. A rather strong wind came up, and flying into it was extremely satisfying because the Sky Hawk would slow down to a walking pace, and I needed full throttle to get into it. Gliding in it was great too, the plane was almost hovering. Gliding was pretty bad on the Hawk though. It is too heavy and could was going very fast compared to how a normal electric glider would. It was weird, the plane climbs decently, until it hits a point where it cannot climb any higher, and that is probably less than 100 feet high.

It felt like a dream, and I think my dad was secretly impressed. I did have a close call when I decided to have some fun and glide it a few feet off the ground. It started nice, but I was flying in a crosswind, and one wing soon dropped. I barely was able to get it to a good speed again, but I did and I pulled it up for a slow altitude gain. Of course all things must come to an end, and the motor quit and left enough energy for a few minutes of controls. Thanks to my luck, this happened during a climb, and had an instant stall. This plane seriously has a high stall speed. It started a spiral like dive. I panicked and gave it full up elevator and thankfully all went well and I pulled up less than a foot above the ground! Whew! Off course now it stalls again, but I got it to come down slowly enough at a downward angle so that it bumped the nose at about 30 degrees. No damage. Now I want to fly again!

Constructive criticism and tips welcome.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico
Last edited by kobkobico; Apr 21, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2007, 05:45 PM
Lucid Dreamer
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jul 2005
646 Posts
Aero Ace!

Woohoo! I finally got the Aero Ace. It is currently charging for the first cycle before flight. It is much smaller than I remember. I got the last one at Target on the shelves. Interestingly it was loaded with Mini Storm Launchers but only the Aero Ace was bought, so I guess everyone else must be thinking like me. I'll fly it first without nose weight and with nose weight afterwards to appreciate the difference. The spring removal mod on the transmitter has been done (and boy do Air Hogs screw the screws in tight)! Info about the flight will be added later.
kobkobico is offline Find More Posts by kobkobico