SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
Discussion
Teaching? Someone can't fly my Slow Stick but can fly my F27 Stryker.

I've finally convinced a couple of my friends to make a serious attempt to learn how to fly model planes.

Yesterday, there was no wind and they were over, so we went out with my Slow Stick. I got two of them to take off, fly, and land without any assistance other than verbal advice like "Land into the wind, it's going x direction."

One of them was handed the controls at 200 feet and couldn't fly it at all.

The one that can't fly my Slow Stick can do aerobatics with my F27C Stryker. He hasn't taken off or landed but he can fly it fine without any help from me.

I'd rather get someone to solo and learn on a Slow Stick than an F27C Stryker.

Any advice on teaching him to fly the Slow Stick?
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Bristol, Maine
Joined Dec 2004
285 Posts
Maybe the Slow Stick is just that, too slow. They seem to fly themselves with no immediate feed back to stick inputs. I was out of hobby for many years and could not fly a slow plane on a simulator and had trouble with a Yard Stik I built.
Built a foamy 3d decreased the throws and flew it fine xcept for the tree that jumped in front of it. Slow sticks ( I have one) are to hard to get feedback quickly, necessary for developing eye thumb coordination. It is harder to fly slowly under control than to tear up the sky. Control is needed.. John Sard
daddysard is offline Find More Posts by daddysard
Last edited by daddysard; Apr 21, 2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: bad thumbs
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2007
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysard
It is harder to fly slowly under control than to tear up the sky. Control is needed.. John Sard
I re-phrase that to what it should say, "its harder to actually fly then to just tear around helping a fast plane go where it wants to go"
GT5500 is offline Find More Posts by GT5500
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
As long as a person's stick familiarity, orientation and planning are okay (and you can substitute altitude for some amount of planning) deltas like the stryker are pretty easy to fly.

Get him to fly it at 1/4 throttle, pull an inner wing stall, put it into a crucifix stall, move the CoG back a fraction so it will snap roll - in other words - take away the power so that gravity, wind, and the models own aerodynamics actually need to be built into the equation.

Either that or just fly deltas forever I guess.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:35 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I have had 2 SS's... cant fly them very well... always nose in.... I fly a Styker c, Spitfire, heavily modded EStarter, TM400, p47, Typhoon, and a few others... I dont handle M/E/R planes very well.... some people dont..
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Some people don't have the patience for some types of planes, particularly slower, "less exciting" planes. On the other hand, maybe sleek sexy deltas turn them on enough to hold their attention.

I'm that way when I play simulators; I constantly crash slow biplanes but have a blast on ultra-sensitive 3d foamies.

To each his own I guess.
Cheekers is offline Find More Posts by Cheekers
Old Apr 22, 2007, 08:35 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Slow Sticks Suck.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:22 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
Slow Sticks Suck.

Is that based on experience or just your opinion?? I suck at flying the SS but I still agree its a very good trainer.... my issue is I like to yank and bank... something that a SS is not good for nor does it like to do it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:28 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Both.
Opinion based on experience.

In the stock version, the wings are too fragile (where did they get the materials?...from a rundown egg crate factory?).
Furthermore, the power train is way too weak.

Sure, if you want to hop it up, it can pass muster.
Stock though, leaves much to be desired.

As far as recomending it to a rank beginner for a first plane...forget it.
The rank beginner needs an RTF that comes with its own radio.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I agree that getting the CG correct is a PITA... but fragile wings are not a real concern with the slow speed it flys at. The best beginner plane is the Super Cub... I have wathced too many beginners come to the park and with little to no help fly the thing and safely land (read: not perfect or pretty landing but nothing broken or damaged)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
I agree that getting the CG correct is a PITA... but fragile wings are not a real concern with the slow speed it flys at. The best beginner plane is the Super Cub... I have wathced too many beginners come to the park and with little to no help fly the thing and safely land (read: not perfect or pretty landing but nothing broken or damaged)
I think the Super Cub is great as well.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:17 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
Too bad the Super CUb wasnt around when I was first starting... would have made things easier on my wallet... LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:16 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
In the stock version, the wings are too fragile (where did they get the materials?...from a rundown egg crate factory?).
Furthermore, the power train is way too weak.

Sure, if you want to hop it up, it can pass muster.
Stock though, leaves much to be desired.

As far as recomending it to a rank beginner for a first plane...forget it.
The rank beginner needs an RTF that comes with its own radio.
Mine is over 2 years old and still flying on the original wings cores, though they have been built with 2" packaging tape instead of the supplied GWS "sticker" tape.

Flew mine for a while on the stock 400-C and a 7 cell NiMh pack. Had decent power, could even hover in the first minute or so. On a 3S-Lipoly the 400 is about equal to a low cost BL set-up. However, nothing beats over-powering a SlowStick with 200-300 watts of BL power.

The older instruction manuals were very poor. Half the time the translations made no sense and the pictures were lacking the details needed to fill in the blanks.

Other than that, mine ALWAYS come to the field/park on flying day. Just too much fun to leave home without it.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer