HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Discussion
For those of you that want to get good videos of your scale planes.

Last year I came up with what I call the "Headcam". It's just an old band from a welding helmet that I made a camera mount for. I use a Nikon 3700 as it gives video comparable with most camcorders and it's small enough as to not be too heavy to wear. It works much better than trying to hold a camera because where ever you look is where it's pointed. Helps to keep the jitters and out of frame shots in check. Here are a couple of examples of my own videos so you can see how much easier it is than to try to follow a plane in a viewfinder. All I do is simply bolt the camera onto the mount and hit the shutter button. It takes a bit to get the camera aimed right but it's worth the effort.

Yak 2nd flight. (5 min 47 sec)

Stryker F27 high speed mods. (3 min 58 sec)
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:05 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,072 Posts
It is a nice idea, and you are right that it eliminated the shaking, but the problem is that you can't zoom in on the plane. So, unless you are flying a parkie in front of your face, it's hard to get closeup video. Just my 2 cents...
Cheers,
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:33 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,977 Posts
But is sure is a lot better than flying with one hand and trying to aim a camera with the other. Thanks for sharing, randall.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Most digital cameras like my nikon won't zoom while recording anyway. It's not perfect by any means but it does free up both hands and I don't have to have anyone with me or spotting for me while I'm doing test flights and such.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:02 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,379 Posts
I'm surprised how smooth and steady your head motions are, much better than hand held. The fixed focus in video mode is much better than the usual "hunting" with auto focus or attempts to zoom and losing it in telephoto especially with fast moving models. I'll bet the "cranium cam" would work especially well with my slow flying scale models. Did you make up the headgear yourself or is it available commercially?

Sorry, reread the part about welding helmet parts.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Apr 21, 2007 at 09:24 PM.