SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:14 AM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Discussion
Why not mega beefy layups for leadsled wings?

Planning my layup for the twisty-Jart, I have this sick (?) idea for the layup... something like:

0.75 oz veil (45 degree)
4.1 oz unicarbon (90)
8.95 oz glass (45?)
foam

Curious, is there a downside to making wing super beefy like this? It seems most people don't go this far... but I already have a 51 oz EPP Jart and am fine going heavier considering the local slopes. This layup would add... what... 6 oz to the wing weight?

Crazy? Downsides other than weight?

-s
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:29 AM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,557 Posts
It will never fly that way.

I have a new 60" plane that has 45 oz wings.

If you think about it, a plank or flying wing has a really heavy wing for the weight of its fuselage and they do fine.
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:55 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
There are a lot of Fermin Sleds built heavier than this that fly well. Go for it!
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
It makes perfect sense actually.. You WANT weight, so shove it in the wings and get strength as an added Bonus.

Not only that... but the wings will support thier own mass... reducing the stresses in the airframe by spreading the mass thoughout the plane
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:07 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
does it make a difference to roll rate?

just curious.......
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
yeah, the roll rate will suffer if you have the mass towards the tips... also tip stalls are more pronounced with weight in the tips.. oh and can you say "Snap Roll" ??

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:13 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
i see. I was imagining that you would get a high roll rate with a lot of weight in the middle and not much on the outside.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
All good points here. The heavier the wing the more inertia you get out where you ordinarily don't want it - BUT, if this is to be a lead sled timmig has it right: plenty of sleds are built with heavier layups than the one you describe, Steve. In fact, I'm working on a double carbon (2x5.7oz) wing right now. For big, smooth, ballistic halfpipes, your layup will be fine.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:27 AM
USA, CA, La Mirada
Joined Feb 2004
415 Posts
Your best bet is to layoff so much glass and build your wing with sheeting and a hardwood LE. In my first sled wing layups with Bluffman and Slopeiron we found that regardless of how heavy you layup glass over a bare foam core (even with carbon) once the LE is comprimised it wont be long before cracks and delam start growing towards the TE. We tried to compensate for this with more glass but it still didnt help. One wng we did was 3 layers of 8 ounce cloth. Now we build are wings with plywood sheeting and hardwood LE then we bag them to seal them up and provide a nice surface for painting. I have detailed the process as best I can here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649145
RMD72377 is offline Find More Posts by RMD72377
Last edited by RMD72377; Apr 21, 2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: unfinished post
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:48 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Robert's right--- the "conventional" build with glass over that is far stronger than foam/glass/carbon!
FWIW
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:16 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
My R3 wing will come in at about 31 to 32 oz. My layup was a layer of 5 oz S glass and a layer of 3 oz e glass. I used way to much epoxy which added at least 3 oz extra weight to the wing.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:30 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Robert's right--- the "conventional" build with glass over that is far stronger than foam/glass/carbon!
FWIW
Tim
True in my experience as well. Ply has great properties and it's cheap! Chunky LE's help as well. I still go for the all-composite experience most of the time because I don't have rocks and I don't fly much heavy formation.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
your roll rate will be, as they say 'adequate' - the heavy lay up makes for a heavy aeroplane which flies faster and rolls like a bag full of rolly things
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:48 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
I wasn't suggesting it was a bad ideal because of slow roll rate. I was just wondering how the physics work out in the real world. I'm afraid I don't have anything in that category. Yet!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:50 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
i see. I was imagining that you would get a high roll rate with a lot of weight in the middle and not much on the outside.
Yep, your intuition is correct. Better flying characteristics all around.