HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:17 PM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,396 Posts
Discussion
A123 Systems and their sales policy

I have been pondering this question for quite some time and cant figure it out. Maybe because I am an engineer and not a businessman. From a business (read monetary) standpoint, why would A123 systems only cell () to certain manufacturers? I understand they can probably sell the cells for a little more to those manufacturers if they sign a contract saying that they wont sell to anyone else. It seems that the revenue from this slight increase in sales price would be A LOT less than the revenue generated by openening up the market to Makita, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Craftsman, custom pack builders (E-vehicles: Bikes, scooters, RC hobby), Laptop manufacturers, etc. I dont get it.

Anyone with more business sense then I care to explain?
Crashaholic is offline Find More Posts by Crashaholic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:24 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
Here here ! ! !

BTW you cant tell Up East types how to do business !

or anything else for that matter.

Then again it may be Dewalt that is the Problem
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:26 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,656 Posts
Limited Exposure= More demand
More demand = higher prices
Higher prices = more short term profits

I am no expert but this is my view about the whole scenario. If and when the A123 and E-moli cells become mainstream (give it another year) you will see a drastic price reduction, just look at Lipo's their prices are slowly dropping and quality and capacity are increasing.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:59 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
What cooper998 said.
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:01 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaholic
I have been pondering this question for quite some time and cant figure it out. Maybe because I am an engineer and not a businessman. From a business (read monetary) standpoint, why would A123 systems only cell () to certain manufacturers? I understand they can probably sell the cells for a little more to those manufacturers if they sign a contract saying that they wont sell to anyone else. It seems that the revenue from this slight increase in sales price would be A LOT less than the revenue generated by openening up the market to Makita, Milwaukee, Porter-Cable, Craftsman, custom pack builders (E-vehicles: Bikes, scooters, RC hobby), Laptop manufacturers, etc. I dont get it.

Anyone with more business sense then I care to explain?
Easy enough to explain. Controlled outlets mean controlled pricing and quantities. You can meet your obligations for supply, while maintaining the price structure you desire. If you over extend on a new product, you risk dismal failure due to complaints about variable pricing and lack of supply. I dont think it is a 'create a artificial shortage to drive up price' thing.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:05 PM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper998
Limited Exposure= More demand
More demand = higher prices
Higher prices = more short term profits
The cost of producing batteries drops rapidly when production volumes go up. The demand is already there and since it is cutting edge technolgy, I think they can keep the prices fairly high. Not much competing with it right now. I would think they would try to capture the market NOW instead of waiting for the next best thing to come along. LiFe is not going to be the "best" for long at the rate battery technology is changing. Still dont get it. Anyone else?

I would hope that they would not be sacrificing "more short term profits" at the expense of more long term profits. Then again, maybe they need more $$$ for near term R&D or to build a new factory. Maybe their factory is already running at 100% and noone else can produce them... Just babbling...
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
Easy enough to explain. Controlled outlets mean controlled pricing and quantities.
But isnt controlling the technology enough to control the pricing? Wouldnt they be able to set a price and say "take it or leave it" to everyone?

Are you saying you dont think they CAN produce any more than the current output?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:38 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
I hope those chinese factories that steal everything else, start to produce A123 cells.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
For a company like A123, the action is in transportation and industrial use. The "holy grail" is of course electric cars
http://online.wsj.com/public/article...f_main_tff_top

RC while interesting can never generate the volume of a GM or DeWalt. If fact it looks like A123 as a small start up is having a hard time keeping up with the current demand. The venture capital guys and Uncle Sam are investing millions to ramp it up.

RC with the retail arm A123 Racing had to be a low volume distraction, so why not sell it to Horizon Hobby?

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleburger
I hope those chinese factories that steal everything else, start to produce A123 cells.
In fact these A123 cell are manufactured by a Chinese battery factory OEM.
rcmtl is offline Find More Posts by rcmtl
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:13 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,562 Posts
I think I saw where Horizon Hobby will be the distributor, we used to say that exclusive rights leads to price fixing at least till the competition can really compete.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Apr 21, 2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Edited by me.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:45 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmtl
In fact these A123 cell are manufactured by a Chinese battery factory OEM.
Isn't almost everything made in China?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX
Hobby Lobby price fixing?

Eric B.
Hobby Lobby? Are they selling A123s?
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,562 Posts
I thought it was Hobby Lobby.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Apr 21, 2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Edited by me.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
trying to kick the habit
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2006
1,396 Posts
I think you are thinking of Horizon