HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:38 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Discussion
looking for DIY receiver designs

I did a small search yesterday and didn't come up with anything, I'll look around more this weekend, but I'm looking for a DIY receiver design. Mostly need the MCU and code so that I can use an existing RF board. If you know of any, please link them or maybe suggest some good keywords for another search. Thanks.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
Beaverton, OR
Joined Apr 2002
162 Posts
Here's something that might help.

Try: http://www.mstar2k.com/

and look at the "Pulsestar" description AND downloads.

- Bob -
HLGNut is offline Find More Posts by HLGNut
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:13 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,258 Posts
http://home.nordnet.fr/~fthobois/

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:06 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The PulseStar is close to what I'm looking for, and Gordon might be able to help me get where I need to be. But I'll take any other suggestions
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:12 AM
Micro-Scale-Modeler
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Joined Nov 2004
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
I did a small search yesterday and didn't come up with anything, I'll look around more this weekend, but I'm looking for a DIY receiver design. Mostly need the MCU and code so that I can use an existing RF board. If you know of any, please link them or maybe suggest some good keywords for another search. Thanks.
I am using the detected, mixed superhet output of existing Corona, Microjoule, and Blue Arrow servo output rcvrs, and modifying them for actuator use by simply replacing the stock 8-pin PIC12F508 with a PIC12F629 programed for actuator use. I understand that you have an rf deck, but need a decoder. After I program the 12F629 with YAPP.hex I next mount piggy back style a quad op-amp (LM324 etc.) to function as a low resistance (30 to 70 ohms) actuator driver as shown in the attached drawing. I have attached photos of rcvrs I have modifyed. If you are looking to drive servos the op-amp is not required how ever you must program the PIC12F629 with a different serial to parallel program. In the case of actuators the 12F629 outputs to two actuators, and one IRLMN2506 N-channel mosfet motor driver - In the case of servos the 12F629 outputs to four servos, three for flying surfaces, and one for a esc. I am attacing all the above information along with photos. The photo without explanation shows a modified Corona next to a JMP combo rcvr for size comparison.

Cheers - Steve - WB2TMR
macquen is offline Find More Posts by macquen
Last edited by macquen; Apr 21, 2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:09 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Very COOL. Thanks, I'll give this a read. This is all working towards an open source 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz system, so there will be a different choice than taking the RF section from an existing receiver for you to use. Not sure if it will be small and light enough for you though. The 900Mhz has a very small low power RF module that might work, and may be what I buy at first to get going. I haven't fully decided on whether I start with 900Mhz or 2.4Ghz, but it will be PPM to start and move towards some other kind of serial protocol in the future, probably using a MicroStar radio for the serial version. If you haven't checked out the MicroStar, you can find it at the link above for the PulseStar. I have a kit on order, and hoping it comes in soon!

Do you have the source code (in C) for the above MCU?

Still open to other suggestions.
Last edited by village_idiot; Apr 21, 2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:00 AM
Joined May 2004
18 Posts
Help!

What is it? What face values of these details?Thanks!
Gura is offline Find More Posts by Gura
Last edited by Gura; May 15, 2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old May 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
919 Posts
DIY 900 mhz system:
http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/diyuhf.shtml

Have a version 2 that is a bit improved, and with decent PCBs. Haven't posted it though, didn't seem like there was much interest.

D.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Old May 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Actually, there is a thread in the radios section that started on a DIY 2.4Ghz and 900Mhz system. If I knew how to program a PIC or AVR I'd probably have a prototype done now.
Old May 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
Brisbane
Joined Aug 2006
860 Posts
Village Idiot,

Just jump straight in and start programming pics or AVRs (of course I recomend AVRs)

Its all pretty easy when you get into the swing of it.
andrewm1973 is offline Find More Posts by andrewm1973
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:29 PM
Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
Try Koichi Tanaka's PIC/AVR page. I have made tx's and rx's for both servos and actuators using his code.

Dave
david_dewit is offline Find More Posts by david_dewit
Old Jun 08, 2007, 09:03 AM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_dewit
Try Koichi Tanaka's PIC/AVR page. I have made tx's and rx's for both servos and actuators using his code.

Dave
Great stuff, it helps to be able to read Kanji though.
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador