HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:49 AM
Tyler, TX
Joined Jan 2006
81 Posts
Discussion
UFO or Micro 22?

I first build a Micro22, but i had lots of trouble with it. might have been a CG thing. then i saw the awsome thread about the USAF UFO. This thing was too easy to passup, and i had just scored some blucor at lowes. who knows where they got it, but yippie for me. built the ufo and i am having a blast. i have finally learned the high alpha slow fly method.. pretty much anyway. thinking about a plane now for som rudder to learn how to hover.

now for the question. should i build another 22 or something different? is the high angle of attack slow flying more difficult with a plane than with the ufo? i have a 30" foam extra, and i have trouble with the high alpha thing with it. or maybe i am not as afraid to doing the ufo around.. it really takes a beating. i want to learn some other things like knife edge and inverted flight as well. the ufo willprobably to the inverted thing, but not knife edge. also the roll rate is much smaller on the ufo than with a plane.

I fly glow powered SPADS and love them, but i can do the ufo thing in my dads back yard.. i have too many trees for my current skill level. with 2 kids it's hard to find time to go to the field and fly glow stuff. by the way.. i'm a little more than a beginner.. not quite intermediate skill level.

how's that for a ramble.. any help is appreciated.
zertsman is offline Find More Posts by zertsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Zert , the UFO and UFO type planes (that covers a lot of territory)seem to be able to do high A maneuvers pretty easily , the more conventional planes have to be flown into this state...If you like the UFO , try a Dart or Manta, they're simple and Fun and are good for maneuvering around trees, close in , high A...keep it light , you have the Blucor
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
i learn to hover with my homebuild flying disk with ruddrer and ailerons
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:08 PM
Tyler, TX
Joined Jan 2006
81 Posts
it that one of the planes from slowfly or something.. looks very familiar.

i guess hovering would be easier with rudder below the CG as well as above.. might be my problem with the ufo.. rudder input causes a roll as well.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
uhh dunno git the pdf file in this forum haha its an awesome flyer tho i love it good in hover as well as level flight
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
Tyler, TX
Joined Jan 2006
81 Posts
i meant the plane in the pic you posted.. i have the ufo.. i went to foamfly and didn't see the one in your pic.. what is it called and i can search for it.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
mines the 4f-zero
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
Quote:
ufo willprobably to the inverted thing, but not knife edge.
my rudder version does knife edges just fine
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:27 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Zert , it's the floppy foamie Blu-P-51.. GeneBonds design, thread here.. .... FUN !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw