HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
There are many trainers to learn with. My favorite is the easystar. I think the best second plane is the superfly at superflyrc.com I wish it was my second plane. It is cheap, fun and durable. It is also challenging enough to broaden your skills. Once you can fly it well, you can fly anything. I have been flying about six months and taught myself. I just recently joined a club. Nobody believed that I had only been flying six months. I credit the superfly and a simulator. I have an older version of the great planes. I am not expert but you may want to find an old version for cheap. Lots of fun to fly planes. I came from many years of rc electric cars. My only words of advice. Pay extreme attention to detail. Give yourself the best chance for success.
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
What GWS plane did you get? Slow Stick? E-Starter?
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:56 PM
Monmouth UK
Joined Oct 2004
1,043 Posts
Here's me after one week of flying my first RC plane (the Superfly). Now 2 months later I'm flying inverted and did my first outside loop this week. Only had one crash so far, nose dug into the dirt by 1 inch. Repaired in 30 minutes with hot glue.

A Phase 3 Fantom is next.

Superfly RC plane loops and rolls Part 1 (2 min 2 sec)
hb888 is offline Find More Posts by hb888
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:28 PM
Tigard, Oregon USA
Joined May 2003
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo
I've never flew anything before & I intend to teach myself on a very simple foam electric trainer. Once I'm confident that I can control that thing... then what? I've been reading the "most common beginner's mistakes" thread. It sounds like even after I've got this trainer plane down I still should master something a little more agressive first before I step up to where I REALLY want to be- the A10 or F16 EDF jets that zip around at about 100mph.

Any chance I could be capable of sucessfully flying those jets by the end of summer? Not a chance?

Back when, i started off with Wattage Mini-Max, flew the crap outa it. Graduated to the Wattage F-22(still have it, albeit chewed), then went to the saber/mig series electric ducted fan(still have mig)......i believe it was all within spring and summer....

shoot, electrics are relative inexpensive now, and hallllla light weights compare to those 10 cell Kans 950's !!!! shiet roy!
sokmeister is offline Find More Posts by sokmeister
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:34 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Oreo,

There are ususally a bunch of foam replacement wings for Parkzone planes. Maybe the Super Cub would be about the right size. How big was your damaged wing? What was the span and chord? About how thick?

After mastering a trainer, I would move to a Formosa. Get the sloper version and put a cheap brushless in it and learn to fly something that is aerobatic. Get used to an airplane that you need to fly all the time. They only cost $30 for the kit and another $40 gets you the brushless motor and ESC.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Apr 21, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 03:25 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
OK, so I'm done making my replacement wing. I did a pretty darn good job actually, but I guess the REAL test will be when it's in the air.

Just as well though, 'cause, unlike the original wing, it's going to be REAL easy to put ailerons on this wing. I think I'm just going to do that before the maiden flight anyway because I may need to adjust aileron trim for any problems caused by air-foil shape inconsistencies.
Oreo is offline Find More Posts by Oreo
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
I'm off my medication...
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
393 Posts
Hi Oreo,

Depending on how much time you have I think you can probably do it however, the keys will be:
- Plenty of simulator time - you don't have long enough to make all the mistakes and repair planes along the way.
- I think you probably want a step between the estarter and the EDF. Maybe a stryker C - will get you used to speed, and teaching you to think well ahead of the plane.

Most importantly - you will have to advance at a pace determined by how competent you are becoming, not by some articificial timeline. I think you can probably make it anyway, but don't let it push you to planes you are not ready for.

For example - until you can land your estarter within 20 metres of exactly where you want to - undamaged - 9 times out of 10 you probably have some more learning to do.

BTW - these notes might be useful to you - is a sort of self paced teach yourself to fly course I've been writing - you might think I'm nuts too...
http://www.ozrcflying.com/2007/03/le...ers-guide.html

Cheers,
Oz.
ozrcboy is offline Find More Posts by ozrcboy
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:09 AM
EPP Addict
Nashville, TN
Joined Jan 2006
994 Posts
Multiplex has a new EDF jet coming out this summer/fall... It's probably not going to do 100 but it is Elapor (proprietary EPP like the Easy Star) so if you do dork it in you won't have too much trouble getting it back together.

I think it is a pretty big jump without an intermediate (the Stryker suggestion also sounds like a good stepping stone for you) and a sim can only do so much... although it is a valuable tool, you do need actual flight time too, so you can learn to fly out of trim or how to adjust for wind. Most of the lessons I learned outside the sim involved Hot Glue or CA! But they are valuable too, for when you get a nicer/faster plane. You can even fly the stryker stock, then add an EDF when you get tired of it, to learn the new power system on a familiar plane.

That said, every pilot is different, you seem pretty determined and you did start with a logical trainer so I say go for it.
LuckyDay is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDay
Old Apr 21, 2007, 05:46 PM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
NOW WITH PICS!! :o)

I'm greatfull(sp) to everyone here for all the suggestions so far. It's good info.

I tend to pick these kinds of things up quicker then most but there's no way to know for sure till I get a few good attempts in.

I'm uploading about 5 pics of my plane to photobucket now. I'll post them here as soon as I'm done. I'd love to hear comments / suggestions on the wing / airfoil I made. (Actually, the pics are done now! So here they are...)

Granted, I'm not finished building it yet. But you get the idea from these.
Last edited by Oreo; Apr 21, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:25 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
I just realized something! The way I've got two servos controlling the ailerons... I now have FLAPerons!!

My only concern is weight. The kit called for sub-micro servos & I'm using regular sized servos. (The ones that come with the DX7 tx) Not to mention that I'm using four instead of two, and my wing is a little heavier then the almost paper thin original. I hope the cheapy motor that came with the kit is enough to keep me in the air. I could always get a more powerfull motor, but then I'm pushing the limits of safe teach-myself speed.

I will say though... working with this foam stuff is much easier then I thought it would be. The stuff sands down really easy into exactly the shapes & curves I want. Makes me consider the future possibility of making that EDF jet I want out of foam. I think I'd be plenty capable of putting together a very nice foam body out of this stuff.
Last edited by Oreo; Apr 22, 2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:15 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Regarding the last two pictures.... You could have moved the two aileron servos inward, towards the fuse more, that way you would eliminate the need for servo wire extensions.

And remember... the heavier you make her.. the faster she'll have to fly to get, and stay, airborn. I would look into getting smaller (micro) servos to save on weight.

Secondly, watch your wing loading.

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:08 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
What do you mean by "wing loading"? What should I be watching exactly?

I was very carefull to measure & place the servos on the wings equidistant from center-line.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:32 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo
What do you mean by "wing loading"? What should I be watching exactly?

I was very carefull to measure & place the servos on the wings equidistant from center-line.
Your wing loading, is basically the amount of "weight load" that is put onto your wings.. (depending on how heavy you make your plane, and the type of wing you have).

If your wingloading is low... you will fly slower and more floaty... if your wing loading is high... you will fly faster. But that's a vague way to tell it. Alot of how you fly regarding wieght, has to do with the type of airfoil you're using, just as much as your wing loading itself.

There's a way to calculate your wing loading on any given plane, by measuring your wing, but quite honestly, I haven't gotten that far in depth in flying, that I do this with my planes. Lol, I just quesstimate the overall weight, and flying style of the plane, and then I get a strong enough brushless outrunner to do the job!

Fun and safe flying
~Tim~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:33 AM
Pocatello Idaho
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
for some reason i am not able to see the pix
protarget88 is offline Find More Posts by protarget88
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:51 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
I don't know? They work fine for me on every computer I've been on. They worked for thedustypagan.