HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:48 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
Discussion
How long from maiden flight on first plane to sucess with EDF jet?

I've never flew anything before & I intend to teach myself on a very simple foam electric trainer. Once I'm confident that I can control that thing... then what? I've been reading the "most common beginner's mistakes" thread. It sounds like even after I've got this trainer plane down I still should master something a little more agressive first before I step up to where I REALLY want to be- the A10 or F16 EDF jets that zip around at about 100mph.

Any chance I could be capable of sucessfully flying those jets by the end of summer? Not a chance?
Oreo is offline Find More Posts by Oreo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:33 AM
Joined Sep 2006
608 Posts
I'd say you could easily if you practice flying enough.

I recommend you start out with a GWS Slow Stick, Hobby Lobby Wing Dragon, or GWS Easy Star or other high wing slow flying rudder/elevator trainer.

Once you learn to fly your first plane fairly well, get an aileron trainer.

After that, I'd say the F27C Stryker by ParkZone is the perfect step between an aileron trainer and an EDF jet.
The L is offline Find More Posts by The L
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:44 AM
Fleetwood, Northern England
Joined Jun 2006
300 Posts
Don't underestimate just how much fun flying anything is, while a trainer might not sound an thrilling prospect I can guarantee you that once you have it in the air it will be exciting enough that getting an EDF jet by the end of summer (they are fun things though) will seem much less important.

In answer to your question though the thing that I find accelerates progress best for most people is a decent simulator, you can get a month's worth of regular flying time in every evening.
northernmonkey is offline Find More Posts by northernmonkey
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:57 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
It's interesting that so many people here so adamantly recommend using a simulator. I've been wanting to get into this hobby now for years. About 6 years ago I was reading on another RC flight forum where people were really dismissing the usefullness of a simulator.

I have a really nice DX7 radio, and my wonderful girlfriend got me, just as you recommended, a GWS high-wing, foam electric trainer with rudder & elevator controlls. I'm in the process of building the thing now & can't wait to get it in the air. Once I'm comfortable with it as is, I intend to modify it so that it has ailerons.

From there... :lol: I'd love to be able to go straight to the jets. I got a B-day comming in June & know just what to ask for!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:30 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Six years ago I don't think the simulators were all that useful. Now they are pretty real, even the cheap ones. Computers have gotten a lot more powerful in just the last three years. Six years ago they were fairly wimpy compared to those today. Graphics cards have also improved dramatically. The computer is needed for the fast number crunching and the graphics card for displaying all those pixels in motion.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
Joined Jun 2006
300 Posts
I'd say that even ten years ago or more simulators were useful for outright beginners to develop the correct instincts for a model flying toward the pilot and even more useful for learning helicopters. The difference with today's better sims is that they are accurate enough to be useful even to experienced pilots, for example they can accurately enough represent stalled (3D) flight for instance. And they look nicer.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:41 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
Then I'll definitely have to get a simulator. I need to make a trip to the LHS to pick up an ESC today anyway. I'll see what they got in stock.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:00 AM
Joined Jun 2006
300 Posts
My personal recommendation would be AeroFly Pro Deluxe, but this is just my preference over FMS and RealFlight and my interest as far as sims are concerned is mainly in fixed wing aerobatics. I haven't tried any others sims so can't comment.

For a complete beginner though FMS (which is free) would be at least 100 times more useful than no sim at all:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
Last edited by northernmonkey; Apr 20, 2007 at 06:07 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:37 AM
Pocatello Idaho
Joined Jan 2007
201 Posts
I purchased the fms version sim and can say that if it was not for the sim I don't think I would have had a good experience, I vested about 35-40 hours on the sim and had zero problems my first flight, even did a few simple tricks. I now have passed the sim onto friends to get some flying buddies. Good luck! By the way what F-16 edf was you planning on getting?
protarget88 is offline Find More Posts by protarget88
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo
Any chance I could be capable of sucessfully flying those jets by the end of summer? Not a chance?
If you flew every day, you might have a chance, but there's a pretty steep learning curve, although if you settled for a slower GWS A-10, you could easily be flying that, by the end of summer if you flew every weekend.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:27 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
I tend to learn these kinds of things pretty quick, so I am optimistic.

I don't know enough about the different brands to even say what kind of f16 I'd want. I think I saw a couple videos of the Tamar 90mm f16, and the jeje(?) f16's. They looked & sounded real cool. I want one like that. But I just don't even know what else is out there to compare them to.

***WHOOPS! I damaged the wing on my ARF trainer before I even got the plane built!! Do they sell replacement foam wings at local hobby shops?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:50 AM
Joined Jun 2006
300 Posts
Foam usually glues back together pretty well.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:03 AM
Gliding like a rock!
Baltimore, MD
Joined Apr 2007
241 Posts
Eeahhh.... Mine melted! THere's no salvaging this one. Gonna need a replacement. Worst comes to worst I could probably carve up something functional from a foam block I could get from Home Depot.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:19 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
By end of summer? Certainly. I flew my 3ch rtf a few times and once got ok with that, I went to a much snappier 3ch foamie. After that, as of yesterday, a 4 ch 3d plane (and it didn't crash!). If I could fly that one 2-3 more times I'm quite confident I could keep a high speed plane in the air even though I've probably not actually flown more than a combined 5 hours since January when I started!

Quote:
It's interesting that so many people here so adamantly recommend using a simulator.
Sims are fun but surely not needed. The only one I've used was in my hobby store a little. I think that if a person can keep a 3 channel plane in the air and understands how a 4 ch differs, then there is really no harm in simply jumping into the deep end and putting a 4 ch in the air. Yesterday before my maiden of a 4ch I was at the LHS and flew around a 3d plane in there for about 3 minutes, it seemed ok, so I went home and tried the real thing and it worked. Although sims can be fun (and this one, Real Flight, seemed very realistic in its physics), they are certainly not needed and as with all things in life, the best practice is doing the real thing (although in real life restarting from a crash takes more effort than pressing the space bar).

The biggest problem I had with RC was at the beginning keeping my 3ch in the air. A sim would have helped with that, but once I had "mastered" it, I understood the basics of flight and the two progressions since have been quite seamless. I'd like a sim, but the cheap/free one looks a bit ugly and the nice ones are too pricey; I'd rather spend the money on planes and then my free time either flying the plane, building a plane, or doing other activities (including perhaps playing a real video game, not a sim!).
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Not very long for me -- my first EDF Jet was the one-channel
RTF Estes Blue Angels jet that I picked up for $50. ;-)
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder