HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:00 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Yard Dart test flew today....

I finished up the plane this evening and plan to test fly it tomorrow at the Tiptonville, TN Airpark at around 2PM. Donny Lyons designed the plane and cut the foam. Hopefully the thing will fly as good as it looks! I'm also going to maden a Blitz wing and Donnie's going to attempt maden #2 on a Ducted Fan IC Jet. Plus another IC pilot plans to be there with his ducted fan jet.
Don

PS: Anyone in the area is welcome to watch and bring your planes. There is plenty of room to fly there. The weather says clearing in the PM so come on down.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Last edited by Don Sims; Oct 20, 2002 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2002, 07:15 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Don, that is a way cool ship!!! Aileron controlled with elevator?
All foam except balsa for the tail booms and verts?

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:20 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Great deductions Dave! You were right on the money. The fuse has a layer of fiberglass cloth on it. Rudders could be put on but why add the extra weight. I'm loading up the truck now, will post the results this evening.
Don
Old Oct 20, 2002, 09:34 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Test flew it today...
Flight attempt 1: I tossed it and it literally stuck it's nose into the mud about 4". No damage.
Flight attempt 2: This time I had Donnie the designer toss it. He make a great throw and I forgot to arm the speed control so it glided until it tip stalled and broke the fuse.

Since I didn't want to jinx myself, I left the epoxy at home so couldn't repair it for flight 3. I fixed it tonight and need to figure out some way to make a grip at the cg. I've thought of making some holes in the bottom of the wing for a grip or epoxing another piece of balsa on the bottom.... Any ideas??
Old Oct 21, 2002, 03:54 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Don, you could try what some have done to their zagis. Make a couple of holes on the bottom and epoxy in a couple of soda plastic bottle caps so the edge is flush with bottom. Insert two fingers and you have a place to grip it when launching.

Dave...
Old Oct 21, 2002, 04:21 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Dave,
Thanks for the idea. The wing is thick enough to try that and it shouldn't create extra drag like my ideas would. Two holes and a pizza toss?
Don
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:35 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Correct Sir! I wanted to do that to my fan fold F-117 Stealth but
1/4 inch fan fold is too thin. Wound up gluing in 1 inch foam landing skid for for launching.

Dave...
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:40 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Don, the more I look at that plane of yours, the more intrigued I am of creating something sorta like it. I was thinking of the same lines but more blunt up front and wings a little more forward.
Pusher type w/balsa booms and stabs. Maybe cut a hatch in front for batts and your other gear. I just really like the look of
twin tail booms.

Dave...
Old Oct 21, 2002, 09:45 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Dave,
Thanks again for the idea, I dropped the bottle caps in and they worked like a charm. DLYONS designed the plane, drop him an PM and maybe you can beg a set of plans off of him...

Flight attempt 3: Went nose high like the CG is too far back, I had it set nose heavy I thought. Full down elevator and it would fly around. It actually flew with a nose high attitude via aeliron control, I landed and walked back to the barn to adjust the elevator.

Flight 4: This thing cooks, it's faster than my Simple 400 on a speed 400 6V. It was getting dusk and I couldn't believe how fast it moved at full throttle. I flew it at first on 1/3-1/2 throttle and liked how it moved then I thought why not. It was gone and as I attempted to slow down and turn back I lost sight of it in the sunset. It went in and cracked the nose again almost at the same place.
Donnie the designer came over this evening and we put it back together, I told him that I'd drop by his place in the morning so he could see it move out.
He's designed a great flying wing with builtin washout that seems very hard to stall, twin booms, and elevator. He also has done a fiberglass fuse that I thought was too heavy but am now starting to reconsider. Maybe I need a tank with the way I'm flying the thing!
Don
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:55 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Definetly looks fast! The wally wing I made out of a sky rider wally mart glider w/ 8 cells of 1600 nimh weighs about 19 oz.
Its speed 400 direct with 5.5x4 prop and its quick for a 400.
Yours would be quick due to the thin profile wings. I may make
mine with fan fold and use a sky rider fuse I have laying around.
I saved the pic you posted to give me something to go on.
I'll bet a ducted fan would be way cool on something like that too.

Dave...
Old Oct 22, 2002, 06:35 AM
Memphis, Tn USA
Joined Mar 2001
39 Posts
Please give us the results of the maiden flight of the Blitz too. I have one and would like to learn from your experience. Thanks, Bill
tpgbill is offline Find More Posts by tpgbill
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:00 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Bill, I like the looks of the Blitz and the way it's built but have not had luck getting the CG right and it is VERY CG sensitive. It did a forward flip several times when I threw it. I'm testing it in looong grass until I get the CG fixed. I tried it at Tiptonville and nosed it in there too. My throws were less than the 10mm it calls for so I redid the servos and arms last night to get the 10mm. I tried it on CP1300's and they may be too light for it, they were up in the nose and opviously the CG was still screwed up. My 10 pack of CP1900's won't slide into the fuse with the wing attached so I haven't tried them. I have an old pack of 7 2000 sub C's that I planned to try tonight. Other comments here on the zone haven't been too positive about the plane but I knew that going into the purchase. I bought it used, the price was right, and the seller sold me a nice plane. Now if I can get the bugs worked out I'll have a plane that I can fly here and a sloper I can fly when I visit my folks....
Old Oct 22, 2002, 04:41 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,458 Posts
Don your plane looks deadly. Be carefully where you play with it you could put out someone's eye. Here is an open class glider that went ballistic and ended up as a Lawn Dart two weekends ago. This one isn't mine and it will fly again.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:29 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Thanks for the warning Mike, but here is what I did to it flight number one.... The photo is staged but it looked just like this.
Don
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:32 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Just turn your head sideways to get the effect of the shot... Here is a shot on how it looks now, I keep telling myself that it's a beta kit....abuse and use it!!