SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
Question
team associated rc10 b4 trasmission rebuild????

ok, i have a team associated r10 b4 electric buggy, and my speed has really dropped on it.
my brother that was in town for a while knows a lot about electrics and he told me that i need to rebuild the transmission.

and i am mostly an rc heli guy, so my knowledge of cars is not that great. and needing to rebuild the transmission scares me. i have no clue what parts i will need to do it, nor do i know how.

are their any guides on how to do this or any thing?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler
moosemanty is offline Find More Posts by moosemanty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
Crash-n-Burn
Oregon
Joined Oct 2004
261 Posts
If you goto their website you can actually download the original manuals for their cars should give you a nice blow up of the transmission as well, they are really easy to rebuild only thing they you might have any trouble with is the differential but thats also really easy to rebuild.

http://www.teamassociated.com/shusti...ub_offroad.htm

just find your model on there and download it
Crazy-Norweigan is offline Find More Posts by Crazy-Norweigan
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:21 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
thanks

and would you happen to know what parts i would need to do this?

Thanks,
Tyler
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:00 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
well once u have a look inside the transmission u'll know what to replace. check the gears and see if their teeth are worn out. the bearings might need to be cleaned out too if they feel gritty (metal-shilded bearings are easier to get dirty than rubber sealed ones). check if there's any sort of debris inside and clean them out if necessary. the goal is to make everything clean and spins freely again like it was when it was new. then apply some grease on the gears b/f u put it back together. if done right u'll make it run smoothly and less friction means more speed. hoep this helps
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
its hard living in the UK
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
Im not sure the transmission would really cause a huge difference in the speed. personally id check the motor brushes aren't worn out, that the ESC is calibrated, the battery packs don't have dead cells. and make sure your using a good battery connector (like deans ultra). the only issues i can think of where the transmission is at fault would be; stripped gears, loose ball diff or broken bearings. but a severe decrease in speed would defiantly say to me that theres a problem with the motor rather than the transmission.
grungerguy is offline Find More Posts by grungerguy
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:21 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
hmm.. i put new brushes in the motor when my brother was here and that helped, but it's still slow... and my batteries should be good.. i have 4 different brands and they all act the same way.

and i sure hope it's not the motor... it's almost new.. it only has about 20 runs on it.
man... i've had a lot of motor issues with this car... the stock motors were crap, i went through 3 of them on warrenty and each one got 1 run before it quit. and then i got a reedy modified motor, and that's what's in their now.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:24 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
well if u take off the motor and just push the truck around w/ ur hand u can feel how smooth or gritty ur tranny is. if it has too much drag then thats why its slow.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:40 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
well, i found out why my speed is really low.... i think i have a stipped transmission gear but i am not sure.... can you guys look at this vid and tell me what you think before i rip apart the transmission?

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...nt=Picture.flv

Thanks again,
Tyler
Old Apr 27, 2007, 09:18 AM
its hard living in the UK
Joined Oct 2005
239 Posts
tighten the nut on the slipper clutch.
grungerguy is offline Find More Posts by grungerguy
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:43 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
i see. u have a loose slipper clutch. tighten the nut untill it slips just a little
Old Apr 27, 2007, 04:28 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
that's what i thought it was at first....

the nut was loosened to the very end, and i tightened it up quite a bit but it didn't seem to help at all.... but i will tighten it more

Thanks,
Tyler
Old Apr 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
ok, i just cranked it down as tight as it will go and it is still the same ....
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:17 PM
^-- breaks stuff
Joined Apr 2004
964 Posts
Take the slipper clutch nut off and pull the plates from the shaft. You will see two paper/cardboard looking rings, possibly octagonal in shape, possibly round, that are clamped between two plates, with a gear in the center. If the rings are worn, simply replace them (only a few bucks). If you did what I did, and got lubricant on them, just clean them off with rubbing alcohol, including the gear, and pressure plates, then re-assemble.

Also, regarding your brushed motor issues, I just put a mamba max 5700kv brushless setup in my B4, and man let me tell you, it is insanely fast. Even running heavier than "normal" batteries (6cell 3800's), it will wheelie itself over if you have enough grip (fresh tires help).
nihil is offline Find More Posts by nihil
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
ok, i will check that
and i have looked at the mamba at my LHS, and it looked good until i saw the price tag. my car budget is very low because of my helis.
but i am fine with the power of the brushed..... i have nitro for when i want speed.. i would just like to have this thing working.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 08:21 PM
Rcer field rep.
yucca valley, CA/// RCG
Joined May 2006
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihil
Take the slipper clutch nut off and pull the plates from the shaft. You will see two paper/cardboard looking rings, possibly octagonal in shape, possibly round, that are clamped between two plates, with a gear in the center. If the rings are worn, simply replace them (only a few bucks). If you did what I did, and got lubricant on them, just clean them off with rubbing alcohol, including the gear, and pressure plates, then re-assemble.

Also, regarding your brushed motor issues, I just put a mamba max 5700kv brushless setup in my B4, and man let me tell you, it is insanely fast. Even running heavier than "normal" batteries (6cell 3800's), it will wheelie itself over if you have enough grip (fresh tires help).

Thanks!
i took all of that out and wiped off the rubber like pieces and reinstalled them, tightened up the slipper and off i went
it's going pretty good now.... and for fun i put some 1/10 scale truck tires (proline glatiators) and it looks really funny but it gets a lot of traction