HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:11 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
well

Dave I used to run a mega 16 25 2 combat shaft on 3s 6000 lipos on a 7/5 e all day long .
Its a great easy powerful 3s setup.
The Himax and ammo will smoke , the HET will break its shaft off but will run good till it does.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:34 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Do you remember the amps?
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:58 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
I know I have to buy a motor, ESC, and receiver to get this plane in the air. I fly Futaba FASST so that means I have to spend either $60 on a 6-channel "parkflyer" receiver or $90 on their 7-channel full-range receiver. Add a quality ESC, such as a Castle Phoenix ICE 75A (which will do either 75A on a 3s setup or be able to handle a low-amp 6s setup) and that's $102. We're already talking about $160 - $190 for the receiver and ESC and I haven't bought a motor yet. So let's say I'd like to spend no more than $250 on motor, ESC, and receiver.

Does that help? Again, I'm no looking to burn up the skies but of course I do want it to fly well.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA comment period ends today
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:37 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
Reading back though this thread, I think I bought PlusRC's wing... the covering scheme is exactly the same. It traveled a long way from MI to NC!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
Okay, I've got my Castle 75A ESC and Spektrum receiver. I'm still waiting for my HET 2W-25 motor but it hasn't shipped from EJF yet. It should go together quickly and I'm ready to get it in the air.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:24 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
Bought a used HET 2W-25 from someone today and mounted it on my TL-60. Tried the recommended 7x5 prop and it pulled 85A. The only other prop I had was a 6x4 and that pulled 45A. I've got three props on order... 6 x 5.5, 6.5 x 6, and 6.5 x 6.5. One of those is bound to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Did you not like the 7/5??
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
that motor will be happy with 85 amps
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
I didn't get a chance to fly it yet with the 7x5, the reason why I wanted something smaller is because the ESC is a Castle 75... I didn't want to push it that much over its rated amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:40 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
No problem up to 100amps so far with my tests with the 75amp heat sink version.do a short flight to confirm it doesn't overheat but you should be fine.don't forget cooling holes in the esc bay
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:38 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
There are intake cooling holes in the front of the wing (they look like nostrils ) and there is an exit hole as well. If you look at Post #111 and Post #119 in this thread, that is the wing I have. The original builder, PlusRC, incorporated those things into the build.

Yes, mine is the Ice 75 with the gigantic heatsink on it. I know it will take more than 75 as the Castle Software has an adjustment on what the current cut-off would be, and it's over 100 amps by default if I remember right. Just didn't want to blow up my nice new ESC which is why I ordered all those different sized props.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
You will need more then the nose and exit holes.

I would use forced air intake and vacuum exit holes running the length of the ESC bay.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
or you can just cut a hole for the heat sing to sit out of the top of the wing that way it is always in teh air stream..

Our Kiwi Buddies do it that way from the photos they have posted..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:19 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
The TL-60 is ready for the maiden flight. I mounted the new HET motor last night, as well as mounted the ESC. I had to cut into the foam so the ESC would sit down a little and clear the hatch. It was very tail heavy and my predecessor stuck 3 oz. of lead inside the front of the battery compartment. I removed that lead and moved it to the extreme front of the airplane. I cut slits in the nose, shoved in the 3 oz. (plus an extra 3/4 oz. I had in my shop) and covered it with packing tape. The plane now balances and it's within the 9" - 10" range but it's near the back.

I also experimented with props. An electric 6.5 x 5 drew 61 amps. I also tried two pylon props (6.5 x 6.5 and 6.5 x 6) and they both drew 71 amps. Going to try the 6.5 x 5 first as that prop still means over 680 watts.

I'm at work now, but if all goes well I'll be outta here before noon. I'll report back.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:25 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,766 Posts
Maiden flight = success! It needed a lot of up trim and a good amount of right, but I got it trimmed out and flew it twice. Added about 20% expo cause it's sensitive (but not twitchy) and I think it could use a little more. It flew perfect with the 6 x 5.5 prop. Had plenty of speed and climbed straight up as much as I want. It turns on a dime, too! The motor, ESC, and battery all were barely warm to the touch.

I just have to work on my launching technique... I like this thing very much.
RCG Plus Member