HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Evolution Trainer Engine - Spinner/Prop Sizes??

Can anyone tell me what spinner and prop sizes come with the Evolution Trainer System? I would like to get some backup/extra spinners and props without shelling out for the Evolution branded ones. Also, if I went to a 2-bladed prop later, what would you all recommend??
Can anyone point me to something that will explain the different prop sizes, and how to decide which ones to use? Thanks!
porkins is offline Find More Posts by porkins
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:48 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Not sure what prop and spinner come with your intended set-up, but ...

For me, any 46 size engine will run pretty good with an 11 x 5 prop, if the weight of the plane is about 5 - 6 pounds. Some different brands run a bit different, but I only use the APC brands.

I have one large, but very light (less then 4.5 lb) 3D plane with a 46 engine, and I use the 12 something x 3 something prop on that one.

Spinners ?. I NEVER use the coloured plastic ones, except for *show and tell*. For flying, I use the DUBRO aluminum spinners. Easy to check if properly tightened.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:20 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,121 Posts
Not sure what 3 blade spinner and prop combo it comes with. The 3 blade prop does help slow the plane down on landings.
If you are still learning to land use Master Airscrew props. They are cheap and they'll take a pretty good hit and not break but they are not very efficient. 11x6 size will work. Stay away from APC and wood props until you can land consistently with no prop strikes.
As for prop sizes do a search at Horizon Hobby on your engine. They should list the recommended sizes. On 11x6 the 11 stands for diameter and 6 stands for pitch.
I don't like plastic spinners either but I have run them on small 2 strokes with no problems. For that size plane a 2" to 2.5" would probably look ok.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:57 AM
Volts < Amps
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Feb 2007
250 Posts
The 3-bladed prop is specially designed to limit speed. master airscrew sells regular 3-bladed props - I think the size you need is a 10x6.

The evolution engine works well with an 11x6 prop, for a trainer or sport flying or a 12x4 for slower 3D-type stuff
desert_flyer is offline Find More Posts by desert_flyer
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:57 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoruwet
Not sure what prop and spinner come with your intended set-up, but ...

For me, any 46 size engine will run pretty good with an 11 x 5 prop, if the weight of the plane is about 5 - 6 pounds. Some different brands run a bit different, but I only use the APC brands.
Depending on the plane - trainer - 11x5, low wing plane 11x6, 12x5. For 11x5 and 11x6 I prefer MA, 12x5 - APC.

Quote:
I have one large, but very light (less then 4.5 lb) 3D plane with a 46 engine, and I use the 12 something x 3 something prop on that one.
This is probably the APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

Quote:
Spinners ?. I NEVER use the coloured plastic ones, except for *show and tell*. For flying, I use the DUBRO aluminum spinners. Easy to check if properly tightened.
One thing we disagree on - I have plastic spinners on most of my planes. The exclusions are big spinners (3-3/4" and up) as they are not available molded in plastic and a couple of planes which I received with engines and aluminum spinners already in them. I never had a problem with a plastic spinner, but I tighten the props until my left hand holding the prop starts to hurt. If the prop slips during the tightening, I put a piece of sandpaper cut in a washer shape between the spinner backplate and the prop.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:50 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Depending on the plane - trainer - 11x5, low wing plane 11x6, 12x5. For 11x5 and 11x6 I prefer MA, 12x5 - APC.
He said it was a *trainer* system, hence my suggestion for an 11 x 5.

Quote:
This is probably the APC 12.25x3.75 prop.
Yep, that's the one

Quote:
One thing we disagree on
Yep again ... Not many items we disagree upon.
Plastic spinners are for me a bit of a hassle, and during my time as an instructor, about 80% of the time, we had to redo the mounting of the prop on the new airplanes coming into the programme. Most of those trainers also had wooden props, and those have a nasty tendency to come loose, since the students were *afraid* to *tighten the heck out of them*.
So for the time we taught them, we replaced the spinners with the DUBRO alu ones.

Why do I *prefer* APC ?? Hard to believe, but a few years back, I passed by a *garage sale*. Saw this big jar with all kinds of APC props in it. I asked the guy ( ) what they were, and he said he had no idea ( ). Then I asked what he wanted for them and he said "Give me a dollar, and we're even".
You really think I had to think twice ....
When I came home I counted the props. There were 43 of them in that big jar, all of them usable sizes.
The strange thing was that I spent another half hour looking through all his stuff, but did not find any other RC stuff. I still wonder why he had that many of them, all the same brand and most of them in the range we would use, and all new ! He lives about ten blocks away, and he has a garage sale every week end in the summer, so I think, he buys up estate sales maybe ?
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:44 PM
USA, IA, Avoca
Joined Sep 2006
102 Posts
I just bought a H9 Alpha 60 ARF. It came with the Evolution prop and plastic spinner. The prop size is 12 X 4, which is the size for the .61 Evolution motor they use on the Alpha 60. I'm using an OS FS .91 Surpass ll so I don't need the prop or spinner. You're welcome to them.
nailbenderdude is offline Find More Posts by nailbenderdude