HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
67 Posts
Discussion
HBFP-like heli capable of flight in wind??

Well, I've gotten pretty good with my blade CX2. I'm ready for a good outdoor flyer. I've been VERY tempted to get the HB FP, but I live in an area where it's usually pretty windy…not extremely windy, but there's always a little breeze. I want to fly strictly outdoors so I need to be able to handle the wind. So, I'm assuming a CP is better than an FP? Also, I guess I'm a beginner so I don't want anything too ridiculously hard to fly. I bet I could handle a CP from the minimal sim time I've spent at the hobby shop. I was flyin upside down and stuff, although that's not my interest. I just want to be able to fly outside in FFF and do nice banking turns. 3D not necessary!!!

So what would be a good beginner heli that would be capable of flying outdoors in light wind conditions? I really like the HBFP and the price. Could it handle slight winds? Is there a comparable heli that can? I'm sure I'll probably end up with the HB FP anyway because of the price

Peace,
Stoddardvilla
stoddardvilla is offline Find More Posts by stoddardvilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:26 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,495 Posts
I think that depends on your definition of "slight winds". I have flown my Honey Bee FP in winds well over 10mph, but it wasn't easy (or fun, actually). Breeze of 5-8 mph presents some challenge, but is easily managed.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,150 Posts
I'm assuming a CP is better than an FP?
-In my opinion, generally speaking a cp handles wind better than an fp. Whatever you get, good luck to you...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:49 PM
PAS
California, USA
Joined Sep 2000
69 Posts
The HoneyBee FP can be flown reasonably well in 5-8mph winds as long as you have a good bit of room. It will tend to balloon up or get pushed around during a gust but given space it is not a problem and actually helps if you are doing orientation training. My backyard is rather small and I have been flying it with 5mph+ wind. The best part of the FP is that on those occasions where the "house jumps out" and hits the helicopter, 95% of the time there is NO damage.

-Paul
PAS is offline Find More Posts by PAS
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
As Chris said it can handle up to 10mph winds.. but if its gusting out, its not gonna be fun. I fly the FP on 3 cells, which it is supposed to fly on 7.4-8.4v.. the added weight of an 11.1v cell + the added power make it more capable in the 8-10mph wind range.

Past 10mph you are gonna have to get real high.. and dive back to you. I nearly lost my FP. The wind at ground level was low 5mph.. but at 40-50ft it musta been going pretty good. My heli was about 150yards away.. and I barely got it back, it was a fight that is for sure.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Flight Cadet
Florida
Joined Feb 2007
546 Posts
I fly my FP in 5-10 mph winds often. I have a canal behind my house that is a perfect airfield if it wasn't for all the water. The problem is it also acts like a wind tunnel between the housing developments since it's a straight shot to the swamp. The water is very scary and I suspect I'll regret flying there eventually.

You gotta keep on the controls but the FP is a great performer especially coming from the CX (as I did). I find removing the tail fin helps and landing before you start losing too muc hpower. My biggest problem with 5-10mph winds is the 15+ mph gusts. Those can change your situation in the blink of an eye. My solution: Don't Blink.
tangel is offline Find More Posts by tangel
Old Apr 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
Joined Nov 2006
222 Posts
I flew mine in a 8mph wind once, I'd waited all day long until I could go to the park it was dead calm till I got there and then an 8 mph wind picks up but I still wen and I smashed my honey bee into the side of my truck heh heh
slo123 is offline Find More Posts by slo123
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:30 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
I fly my FP with 9.6v NiMh pack and the added weight + head speed helps in the wind. I don't like flying in winds over 10mph.
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:03 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
The nihm is heavy for it's output.. but you would get more head speed from an 11.1v 850mah 12c or better lipo.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:56 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
That's true, but at hover you won't need as much head speed with a lipo, because it's lighter. Mine hovers / flies more stablely in the wind than my friend's does (he has a lipo on his HB FP). His flies for longer (15min+ at a time), however... <shrug> I can fly more often and in more conditions, though, because I can charge my NiMh in 10 minutes... with 3 batteries I can fly for hours just stopping to change batteries every 8-10 minutes. Did that last Saturday, from 8am - 11am, the motors / batteries never got past warm... I love my FP!!

EDIT: Heat sinks help a ton too!!
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt
Last edited by hurleybt; Apr 19, 2007 at 11:01 AM.