SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:13 AM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Discussion
TL50 Maidened, crashed hard <1 week... and flying again

I had a successful maiden of my TL50 this morning . I was nervous as can be last night and this morning just thinking about it !

C.G. a smidge less than 8", AUW 48 ounces.
HET4w, CC45, APC 6X4E, 4 cell a123 DX6
(Now fitted with 5s a123, DX7, AR7000 rx)

Time:7:30 am
Temperature 49 F with 8 - 12 mph winds (cold on the hands!)

Did a quick range check and everything appeared normal.
Did a few full throttle power up. Everything appeared normal.
Said a quick prayer!

(Have I told you I was nervous about the launch? It is heavier than my Zagi-60 by about 14 ounces with even less wing area. So this has been on my mind the whole time...)

I think I powered up to about 75%, took a few quick steps and with it over my head gave it a hard toss. After all of my worrying it was a very uneventful launch. No porpoising or anything. Really smooth flying! I think I had to pull up a smidge after the initial launch. Then I had to make some minor trim adjustments. Now launching into the wind was a big help. I will still be a bit worried on the days that it is dead calm. Hopefully I won't be as worried about it after a few more flights.

Overall flight was AWESOME! Chris did a top-notch job. She looked amazing in the air! I kept it on the lower throws which were more than enough for ailerons. Elevator felt a bit mushy at times or like I just didn't have enough throw. Could be that I just need to get the airspeed up a bit more too? On my elevator low rate setting I have a bit less than 1/2" travel total. I probably need to increase the throws a smidge. I landed after about 5 minutes since my hands were freezing, I was shaking from the excitement, cold, etc. The landing was smooth as silk!

I cranked it up to full throttle in flight and really didn't notice much or any pitch change from the throttle. I'm sure subsequent flights I'll work on fine tuning the overall setup.

The TL50 is a dream! I will hopefully make it out at lunch for another flight.
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
Last edited by reefboy; Feb 21, 2009 at 01:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Awesome, congrats!
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:00 AM
Certified Riteaholic
San Marcos, CA.
Joined Oct 2003
649 Posts
Good job Reef. Ritewings are simply....rite!
joekoz is offline Find More Posts by joekoz
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:32 AM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
cool. moving the cg back could help out on the elevator.

mine will be done soon enough.
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:39 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
2nd flight.... WOW

Well the winds have picked up a smidge but I just couldn't resist flying again.

I just can't say how happy I am with how it flies. I started playing around with chopping the throttle and adding up elevator slowly. I almost got to the point where I had 3/4 up elevator and it was still just hanging in there. I would have expected it to have stalled out way earlier. In fact it almost refused to stall out. So I will continue to play with that so I know what the limits are on the slow speed flying. I added 10% more elevator throw after this mornings flight. I think I should add a bit more as the loops where still fairly big. After the confidence from this morning's flight I started playing around a bit more. Rolls are great. Inverted flight needed quite a bit of down elevator so I believe that is a sign I need to move the CG back a smidge.

I have a feeling I will continue to enjoy this wing more and more after each flight for quite some time!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 04:02 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Be carfull on how much elevator you add back in.. They will snap out of a loop if you have to much control movment.

Move the cg back a bit before changing them..

Sounds like your on the rite track..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 20, 2007, 07:49 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Flights 3 & 4 FANTASTIC!!!

I headed out for a flight this morning before work and for another flight during lunch. Each flight gets better and better! I am more and more impressed with the flight characteristics after each flight. I again deliberately cut power and then gradually added more and more up elevator until it slowed down quite a bit and I had over 1/2 up elevator input on the control sticks. It was almost as if the wing was a canard. It almost seemed as if it would refuse to stall out. When it did it was pretty subtle. No tipstalls while moving forward. The Zagi-60 would have easily tip stalled. So far I have had no surprises what so ever! The plane flys fast and is extremely predictable. I now know why all the ritewing flyers are speed junkies! With a plane that flys that well you don't notice the speed as much and it is just so fun to fly! Time to add another cell and increase the SPEED All landings have been smooth as silk.

Overall it reminds me of when I use to fly a Goldberg Gentle Lady for slope soaring. I spent a few years building up a Sagitta 600 with, internal control horns for the ailerons so that the only external item on the plane was the control horn for the rudder, fiberglassed fuselage, etc. I really took my time building it. As a result, it was like going from a VW bug to a Ferrari. You knew you were flying a well designed plane. YOu would give a little down elevator on the Sagitta and it would pick up speed and just fly rite! As a result I only flew it when the conditions were rite. I have never crashed that plane. I think going from the Zagi to the TL50 has been the same for me. It is amazingly fun to fly! I'm hooked and I've only flown it 4 times. It's like I've been flying it for a year or more.

Also, hand launches have been extremely easy. I was a bit apprehensive about it as my Zagi launches were somewhat unpredictable and always a bit of heart pumping depending on how it went. Now... power up to 3/4 to full throttle give it a toss and it is across the field quickly w/o need for much correction.

Sorry for the slope soaring digression and long winded thread. The TL50 just brings back good memories flying with my dad on the weekends for so many years!
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:47 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Disaster struck yesterday...

I pancaked it in after a WOT pass yesterday. It happened so fast I honestly was dumbfounded and heartbroken! I really didn't know what happened because it happened so fast. After stepping back the only thing I can think of is that I was about 25' off the ground finishing a high speed pass. I was going to roll to the right and do a quick 180 degree turn. Since I was full speed it might have rolled inverted before I knew it and when I pulled up elevator to make the turn it just wasn't high enough to clear and smacked the ground pretty hard. I thought the wing was going to be okay. But it definitely stripped the gears out on one servo and the plane is wrinkled in the front. The back has tears from the motor cut-out inward about an inch. I think all spars are intact although it is hard to say. Yesterday I thought the wing felt stiff still. However, today I was forcing it a bit more and it definitely is flexing in front of the servos where some wrinkles are. So I might try to shove some carbon fiber strips down in there top and bottom at the weak points and put more Henry's on in the tears in the back and see if it is good enough to keep me flying until I can build up a new TL50.
I could fly my Zagi-60 but honestly after flying the TL50 I'm just to hooked on it's performance. Those were the best 4.25 flights I have ever had. I hope I don't go into withdrawals to severly before I can get flying a TL50 again!

Here is a quick video I threw together from the flight. My brother in law quit taping right before the crash. Sorry about the dirty lens on the video camera. A moment of silence please....

TL50 Final Flight

This might be quicker, youtube
Last edited by reefboy; Apr 22, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Certified Riteaholic
San Marcos, CA.
Joined Oct 2003
649 Posts
Aw Reef, I'm terribly sorry. It sucks, doesn't it. I've put my TL down twice, but both have been minor. I just got her back up today. I also put my Zagi 60 back together. I need more practice, and if the Zagi goes down, oh well. I have 2 of them. Keep your chin up.
joekoz is offline Find More Posts by joekoz
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:37 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Dang.. if we could patch up navyguys in sure you can fix yours..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:50 PM
What's a custom title?
Tracy, CA
Joined Feb 2006
208 Posts
that's what I told him. I told him how you did it and he should do it the same way. get 'er done!
navyguy is offline Find More Posts by navyguy
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:51 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Reefboy, if it makes you feel any better I dorked my first CK wing last week

I did'nt mention it here cause I was to ashamed. I was coming in for landing, I was standing in the shade of some display homes and the plane was in the sun. She started tip stalling because of slow speeds at the same time the plane went black and I lost all oriantation. She splatted the pavement from 25-30' up nose first! Batts were flattened electronic bay was now inside the battery bay! Everything but the batts survived, the airframe is ugly and mushy in the nose but could fly again if I wanted it to.

I blame it on my location and the way the light/shade affected it. I was close enough to homes that I did'nt risk punching the throttle to regain control cause It might go towards the homes. I cut throttle and let her fall.

Don't sweat it bro it'll happen sooner or later. This is your opportunity to build your own! Its easier then you may think, especially with the DVD. It is actually a very fun build! Call me wierd but I enjoy the build more then flying I just love to work with my hands?
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:56 PM
Purples a fruit
Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
he really does like the build. joked about letting him build my planes and he was serious. but i too love the build.

the wreck was all of a sudden. but fixable. brand new batteries squish.

am i next?
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:22 PM
What's a custom title?
Tracy, CA
Joined Feb 2006
208 Posts
don't jinx yourself, lol
navyguy is offline Find More Posts by navyguy
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:54 PM
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

I will swing by a local store tomorrow and pick up some carbon fiber pieces similar to those used on the Z*** build in order to stiffen up the nose section. The wing tends to want to fold in some wrinkles that were created from the crash. If i can strengthen that up, put new servos in, reapply the Henry's on the leading edge top and bottom from the center section out 14" on each side , it should be able to fly again. I don't think it will have the same strength though. I'll have to make sure I don't load up the airframe. I can then work on building a brand new one. It just gets hard to find time to build with two little ones, work, life, etc.