Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
RC Tragic
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
98 Posts
Question
What is the best budget 2 stroke 60-61 and 90-91 size engine

Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting my old hack back in the air after some time and she needs a new engine.

So what I need is a) Reliability b) Low Cost c) Good Horsepower

Cheers,

WD
snowwolf is offline Find More Posts by snowwolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
Salem, Or.
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Funny, am not sure those 3 options go together. Usually if you have reliability, you don't have low cost and so on.
mtwister is offline Find More Posts by mtwister
Old Apr 17, 2007, 09:25 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Magnum 91 two stroke is on sale over at hobbypeople.net for $119.
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
I just bought a .91 surper tigre w/muffler for $129.
its been 8 years sense I flew power and in the past i never had problems w/ them
I started flying my sr7 for about a month now and today was my first flight on power.
slagger is offline Find More Posts by slagger
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:27 PM
RC Tragic
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
98 Posts
That I guess is what I was really after,

some recommendations within the Thunder Tiger, Magnum, Super Tigre range of engines.

I have owned TT Pros in the past and they have been very good, so if you have an opinion please share it and why.

Cheers,

WD.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:43 AM
jollyd
Calgary
Joined Feb 2004
35 Posts
How about a Super Tiger 90 reasonable cost relitively quiet and reliable
Dave
jollyd is offline Find More Posts by jollyd
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:53 AM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
I knwo you asked about 2-strokes, so don't be mad at me, but I just got a Magnum .91 4-stroke, which woudl be about that same range of power, and I love it. I couldn't get it to idle right for the longest time, and I thought I got a piece of junk engine. And for some reason, full throttle wasn't that powerful. But it was my first 4-stroke, and I had neglected to check the valves, and they were supposed to be at .04-.1mm, and they were somewhere around .25-.35mm. So I set them to about .06mm, and the thing idles soooooo slow, without ever dying, even after about 5 minutes of idling. And it throttles up instantaneously after that long of an idle. And full power is decent, but not spectacular. I am running a 14x8 MA prop at 5500 feet ASL and I plan to have unlimited vertical on a 7.5 pound plane... It has enough power from what I have seen.

Now, there are higher output 4-stroke engines out there (aka YS, or even Saito), but I think the Magnum is a great engine for the price. I got it for $150 from a guy off of rcu, and I know it is also on sale at hobbypeople.net. As far as two stroke, I am a fan of OS's, but they can be pricey. I haven't had any other experience with 2-strokes, but my 15 year old OS 40 FP runs like a champ, after being seized. The thing idles so slow you can almost count the rpms...

Hope that helped a little... Sorry I borught up 4-strokes, if you weren't interested...

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:08 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
The SuperTigre G90 is good value so long as you're not looking for an engine that'll give you 3D-like throttle response. They tend to be a b1tch to tune properly and even in the most skilled hands they often end up with a very fat mid-range that can cause problems.

However, bang for the buck, they're hard to go past.

I agree that the TT engines are excellent (I have a GP42, 4x46Pros, a GP61 and a 91FS) but I do think their 90-sized 2-stroke is *way* overpriced. It appears that the US market thinks so too because you won't see them on very many dealers' shelves there.

Magnum/ASP seem okay if you can find one at a good price.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Apr 18, 2007, 02:41 AM
RC Tragic
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
98 Posts
Not at all, Thanks Scott, I guess I need to consider that option. I have really only ever had 2 strokes so if I end up with a 4 stroke I will have to learn how to tune it etc...

I also like the thought of an extremely slow idle for the type of plane it is going in as it is very slippery through the air and landing speeds, well, lets just say you need all the strip.

So now that you have opened up that can of worms, who has Thunder Tiger 91 4 strokes cheap so I can do a comparo?

Thanks everybody,

WD.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
Istanbul, Turkey
Joined Aug 2004
847 Posts
Hi I think you didnt hear about SK 91 for 99,77 $.
www.kangkeusa.com
For more info Pls. take a look at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4562154/tm.htm
especially Ed Moorman s comments on it.
turk1 is offline Find More Posts by turk1
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:14 AM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdueck
I knwo you asked about 2-strokes, so don't be mad at me, but I just got a Magnum .91 4-stroke, which woudl be about that same range of power, and I love it. I couldn't get it to idle right for the longest time, and I thought I got a piece of junk engine. And for some reason, full throttle wasn't that powerful. But it was my first 4-stroke, and I had neglected to check the valves, and they were supposed to be at .04-.1mm, and they were somewhere around .25-.35mm. So I set them to about .06mm, and the thing idles soooooo slow, without ever dying, even after about 5 minutes of idling. And it throttles up instantaneously after that long of an idle. And full power is decent, but not spectacular. I am running a 14x8 MA prop at 5500 feet ASL and I plan to have unlimited vertical on a 7.5 pound plane... It has enough power from what I have seen.

Now, there are higher output 4-stroke engines out there (aka YS, or even Saito), but I think the Magnum is a great engine for the price. I got it for $150 from a guy off of rcu, and I know it is also on sale at hobbypeople.net. As far as two stroke, I am a fan of OS's, but they can be pricey. I haven't had any other experience with 2-strokes, but my 15 year old OS 40 FP runs like a champ, after being seized. The thing idles so slow you can almost count the rpms...

Hope that helped a little... Sorry I borught up 4-strokes, if you weren't interested...

Scott

-------------

A .90 four-stroke is equal to a .60 two-stroke. A .90 two-stroke is much more powerful than a .90 four-stroke, even a YS.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan
-------------

A .90 four-stroke is equal to a .60 two-stroke. A .90 two-stroke is much more powerful than a .90 four-stroke, even a YS.

Ed Cregger
I never said that .91 FS's are as power as the same displacement TS. In fact all I said was they are in teh range that he was asking for. He said 60-90 sized engines. Yes, I agree with your comment, a .90 FS is about the smae power as a .60 TS, but no one can argue about the sound a FS makes! And they use less gas on average. So it is something to consider...

As far as tuning them, it is essentially the same as a two-stroke. the only thing that is different is setting the valves. With my Magnum, they said to do it at 1 hour run time (after break-in) and then again every 8 hours of run time. It really isn't hard to do, if you have ever put spark plugs in a passenger car, you can set your valves on these RC engines. Four strokes do generally cost more than two-strokes, and like it was said earlier, produce less power per displacement. The mufflers do look nicer though, and they weigh less. Another benefit is that they run hotter, so you can use a smoke system more effectively. But in the end, it is all personal coice, and completely based on the application the engine will be in. If you are looking for speed, I would sya go witha two-stroke. If you are looking for torque adn 3D, go four-stroke. Both types can do either, but the tw-strokes do take longer to wind up, as they run higher rpm's which makes for the better speed. Again, you must consider the price too, as that is a huge factor in people's decisions.

Now I am really sorry that I brought this off topic, it really wasn't my goal, I just mentioned that Magnums seem to be great engines. So we can get back onto topic here with reliable, cost-effective engines that the original poster was looking for. I love my Magnum and O.S. engines, and will most likely stick to them in the future.

Thanks, Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:08 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2006
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk1
Hi I think you didnt hear about SK 91 for 99,77 $.
www.kangkeusa.com
For more info Pls. take a look at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4562154/tm.htm
especially Ed Moorman s comments on it.

I second that, excellent engine.
Really torque, loves BIG props

Cameron
Cambo is offline Find More Posts by Cambo
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:42 PM
Joined Jun 2004
228 Posts
The new K&B .61 "Twister" engine is a good one. Less than 19oz with its muffler. More power than it's predescessor and it is very reliable. It is $99.99 direct from K&B.
oceansfiftyseve is offline Find More Posts by oceansfiftyseve
Last edited by oceansfiftyseve; Apr 18, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to add price
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:45 PM
RC Tragic
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
98 Posts
Thanks guys,

I have had a look at the SK's and many other two strokes and they look cool but thanks to Scott I have been thinking about the four stroke. In the past the price was too high but now the Magnum 90 size RFS engine is certainly the front runner due to the price.

I also like the thought that it will idle very slow which will bring the landing speed down a bit for the plane it is destined for and in the future I can see it being transplanted into a sixty size war bird where the exhaust note becomes important.

So thank you all for your input.

Cheers,

WD.